Diamond lounge, Don't be so cheap.

The waiters/bar staff remember anyone who tips them. More importantly, they remember you favorably if you are polite and pleasant. I personally think that $2 bills are a nuisance that the server will have a hard time using.

Agree...and was worried about that also, that is why I have not brought them on board. Father in law used to send them to us all the time...I still have quite a pile of 2.00 bills. Not sure what I will do with them.

Just my theory but almost all the staff on the cruise ships work long hard hours and have to put up with a variety of happy, unhappy, rude, nice and sometimes obnoxious passengers and do not get paid enough to do all they do for us (passengers). My hubby and I always carry $1 bills and tip all bartenders (yes even in Diamond Lounge and Concierge Lounge) and even restroom cleaning personnel; the smiles on their faces when they receive such a minimal tip makes us appreciate how LUCKY we are to be able to cruise.

Just my theory but almost all the staff on the cruise ships work long hard hours and have to put up with a variety of happy, unhappy, rude, nice and sometimes obnoxious passengers and do not get paid enough to do all they do for us (passengers). My hubby and I always carry $1 bills and tip all bartenders (yes even in Diamond Lounge and Concierge Lounge) and even restroom cleaning personnel; the smiles on their faces when they receive such a minimal tip makes us appreciate how LUCKY we are to be able to cruise.

Sounds the same as a lot of other people working a lot of other types of jobs in many other kinds of places.

I am from the UK where the tipping culture is different. I do what I feel is reasonable and correct, not necessarily in compliance with what others do.

I try not to judge others. Also, I don't really care what others think.

So as a Diamond member I don't usually tip except as an exception. Many others, from UK sailings don't tip IMO. Some do and that is ok. It is discretionary and people do what they think is right.

My thoughts on tipping have changed a lot recently. I have moved from trying to be consistent with the norm to what I consider to be right. These discussions on CC are important as there are many like me who are constantly weighing up what is ok based on what others say and do.

Interestingly, I have just returned from cruise on P&O. There is no space on slip to add gratuity or a separate amount added as gratuity. I see very few people tip per drink etc. So it makes me think that customs differ in different countries. Live and let live is my view.

OFF TOPIC ALERT

Just got off Symphony.

Got the Survey by email.

Not sure its new but there is now a question....

"Has anybody on the ship asked you to give them a high score?" (Something like that)

It then goes on to list MDR staff, Maitre'd etc

THANK YOU royal caribbean - hopefully that will put an end to the pleading sob stories on the last night of every cruise.

If Americans want to lecture the rest of the world that they should adopt their hideous tipping policies (which is effectively the public playing employee wages for business owners), I would like to lecture Americans in the language of civility

Say 'Please'

Oh, and I say that as someone that tips $5 to my server each night for about 3 drinks each for DW and I

OFF TOPIC ALERT

Just got off Symphony.

Got the Survey by email.

Not sure its new but there is now a question....

"Has anybody on the ship asked you to give them a high score?" (Something like that)

It then goes on to list MDR staff, Maitre'd etc

THANK YOU royal caribbean - hopefully that will put an end to the pleading sob stories on the last night of every cruise.

Been that way over a year now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If Americans want to lecture the rest of the world that they should adopt their hideous tipping policies (which is effectively the public playing employee wages for business owners), I would like to lecture Americans in the language of civility

Say 'Please'

Oh, and I say that as someone that tips $5 to my server each night for about 3 drinks each for DW and I

I say please and thank you.

Pretty much go through around 12 $1's each night. [emoji6]

I say please and thank you.

Pretty much go through around 12 $1's each night. [emoji6]

Always makes it a good reason I like to hit the bank before we leave on a cruise, having a stack of 1.00 bills on hand makes life easier than trying to get some on the ship. ;)

Always makes it a good reason I like to hit the bank before we leave on a cruise, having a stack of 1.00 bills on hand makes life easier than trying to get some on the ship. ;)
We've gone through $150 so far. And that doesn't include the bigger Bill's given in envelopes

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

We've gone through $150 so far. And that doesn't include the bigger Bill's given in envelopes

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Yeah, I hear ya. I always take at least 50-60 dollar bills on a week long cruise, but seem to still run out every time ...and then have to go beg GS to change out my larger bills! :eek:

Tipping more...or drinking more? ;p:cool:

At least I get out cheap on the tips when Bucky brings me a glass of wine on the balcony from our cabin selection. ;) Good boy Bucky...good boy!! :D

Since the excellent Status Match sent us into the top tier with MSC weve cruised with them a lot.

They have a written policy which states "Do Not Tip The Staff".

The service is EXCELLENT.

Do we tip anyway?

Yes. It becomes OUR choice and not an enforced wage contribution.

Of course staff welcome a tip. That is the same in any industry in any Country.

MSC can pay a fair wage so why cant other cruise lines?

And before anyone says - MSC are a value priced line so they dont jack up the prices to cover wages as many think is needed.

Say 'Please'

So when are you guys going to get rid of the tip plates in public toilets:rolleyes:

So when are you guys going to get rid of the tip plates in public toilets:rolleyes:

Love that one! I'm definitely American but born and raised in England; especially when in UK my English accent magically gets stronger! I used the ladies room in England that also had an attendant. She motioned to the tip plate ...... I apologized and said I didn't have my purse (which was true); had left my purse, tote bag, etc. with my husband. She immediately apologized for bothering me and in the same breath said the plate was for Americans - they always left a tip! My English accent came in handy.

Love that one! I'm definitely American but born and raised in England; especially when in UK my English accent magically gets stronger! I used the ladies room in England that also had an attendant. She motioned to the tip plate ...... I apologized and said I didn't have my purse (which was true); had left my purse, tote bag, etc. with my husband. She immediately apologized for bothering me and in the same breath said the plate was for Americans - they always left a tip! My English accent came in handy.

Will that work if I speak Italian to the attendant next time? The last time that I was in London some of the restrooms had turnstiles that you had to put money into. As if I walk around with British coins. There were also cameras pointed squarely at the entrance, I suppose, to catch people just ducking under or climbing over.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Interesting. Tipping Is frowned upon but happily accepted!

Will that work if I speak Italian to the attendant next time? The last time that I was in London some of the restrooms had turnstiles that you had to put money into. As if I walk around with British coins. There were also cameras pointed squarely at the entrance, I suppose, to catch people just ducking under or climbing over.

Oh man...really don't like those "pay to pee" toilets. :o

Oh man...really don't like those "pay to pee" toilets. :o

Me either!:mad: What was worse for us: A few years ago, while on a cruise, and eating at a local (french speaking) restaurant (St Maarten or maybe Martinique), when asked to use the restroom, management told us, "not for you!":eek: OMG! We were paying to eat there and were not allowed to use their toilets! We left immediately before our food arrived. I've experienced some obvious dislike in the past but nothing as bad as that! I don't blame the entire French culture, as there are bad apples in every bunch!:evilsmile:

You will be pleased to hear that they no longer charge at Victoria station in London, well didn't last October. The turnstiles were open.

All the train stations (in the old days) had slots in the door of the toilet where you inserted a penny. That's where the expression "I need to spend a penny " comes from.

Me either!:mad: What was worse for us: A few years ago, while on a cruise, and eating at a local (french speaking) restaurant (St Maarten or maybe Martinique), when asked to use the restroom, management told us, "not for you!":eek: OMG! We were paying to eat there and were not allowed to use their toilets! We left immediately before our food arrived. I've experienced some obvious dislike in the past but nothing as bad as that! I don't blame the entire French culture, as there are bad apples in every bunch!:evilsmile:

That's terrible! Maybe they like their front yard "watered" instead. :eek:

This is typical European Culture. They expect you to do your thing at your home or hotel/cabin. We seldom found a water closet advertised and was free. Most require .50 Euros. Most toilets (public) don’t have seats or somewhere to sit. Many have no toilet paper available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since the excellent Status Match sent us into the top tier with MSC weve cruised with them a lot.

They have a written policy which states "Do Not Tip The Staff".

The service is EXCELLENT.

Do we tip anyway?

Yes. It becomes OUR choice and not an enforced wage contribution.

Of course staff welcome a tip. That is the same in any industry in any Country.

MSC can pay a fair wage so why cant other cruise lines?

And before anyone says - MSC are a value priced line so they dont jack up the prices to cover wages as many think is needed.

Why are you so certain MSC pays a fair wage?

Why are you so certain MSC pays a fair wage?

DUH because they wouldnt have people working for them?

I am happy to say that very clpse to 100% of staff we encounter on MSC are extremely friendly and polite.

I dont know if it is correct or not but was told by a bar waiter that every customer facing staff member needed to speak a minimum of 3 languages fluently and have a decent understanding / speaking of a further 2.

With that level of knowledge (and propensity for learning) all these people could get jobs in many many places - yet they are happy aboard MSC.

Im not aware of the "American" lines having such a strict requirement.

I should point out that Im not necessarily against ANY cruise line.

I just hate being forced to tip.

Now, this will REALLY annoy some of you but from today I will be insisting that all my auto grats are removed.

Tipping will revert to the old way of ackowledging excellent service.

If that means grats will rise to 20%, our American cousins will happily cover it.

I do tip but not necessarily per drink. I've been in some lounges where it quickly became apparent the way to tip was at the end of the cruise or one larger tip each night. Often times a $5 or $10 tip on that first drink is not only sufficient for that evening but service the rest of the evening is very prompt.
I used to give $5-10 dollars to the first waiter and then there was another 2 waiters so i decided to give $1 a drink so whichever server brought our drinks they got the tips.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app