Diamond lounge, Don't be so cheap.

$1 per drink can be more than needed in some situations. If I order two beers then I think $1 is an appropriate tip. If I order a mixed drink that takes them time to make then maybe more $ is appropriate.

It certainly depends on what you are ordering and if they are serving you well. But normally I drink beer and tip between $1 and $2 per round for me and my wife depending on circumstances.

They are more than happy with a $1 tip each time IMO because some don’t at all. I have always gotten to know our go to servers and they are very appreciative and we always become close during the trip.

I tip at the end my first time as diamond after reading CC but never again after that. Just kind of a weird thing IMO. They have no idea all week if you are just stiffing them and then they are always slammed the last night. Doing it in increments works much better IMO and then they know you are taking care of them all week.

I agree.

On one occasion we got stuck with a couple of bores in the DL on the second last night who seemed to follow us around the ship.

I was glad we tipped nightly because we didn't go in the DL on the last night to avoid that particular couple.

This is another reason that now as D+ on selected ships if we encountered a situation again we could go into the CL.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

We tip $1 per drink in the DL, and the servers are VERY appreciative. We also tip $1 if we use our 3-drink cocktail hour card outside of the lounge, and the bartenders seem even more appreciative than the lounge servers. Makes me think some Diamonds do not tip anything, anywhere.
I always tip a $1 a drink if we use our Diamond vouchers in other bars.

DUH because they wouldnt have people working for them?

I am happy to say that very clpse to 100% of staff we encounter on MSC are extremely friendly and polite.

I dont know if it is correct or not but was told by a bar waiter that every customer facing staff member needed to speak a minimum of 3 languages fluently and have a decent understanding / speaking of a further 2.

With that level of knowledge (and propensity for learning) all these people could get jobs in many many places - yet they are happy aboard MSC.

Im not aware of the "American" lines having such a strict requirement.

Not sure that logic works. Royal has many more employees. Plus one of the biggest complaints I read about MSC is that English is generally an issue with many employees. I guess English isn't a requirement of those 3 languages. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I will go out on a limb again here - I think those complaining about the "English" issue on MSC are likely to be Americans - who expect staff to be "English Speakers".

Those of us in Europe are far more aware of accents and are more open to understanding them IMHO.

Its not a direct criticism of Americans; just that you guys think you're the centre of everything and everyone should adapt to suit you. ;p;p;p

I will go out on a limb again here - I think those complaining about the "English" issue on MSC are likely to be Americans - who expect staff to be "English Speakers".

Those of us in Europe are far more aware of accents and are more open to understanding them IMHO.

Its not a direct criticism of Americans; just that you guys think you're the centre of everything and everyone should adapt to suit you. ;p;p;p

I believe MSC is working on expanding their American presence, so it might behoove them to work on that.

FWIW, the first couple I heard badmouth the English skills of MSC in general, were Indians.

As posted earlier, I am British by birth, but a US citizen. Many of your comments throughout this thread have been very sad and anti-American.

So you plan to remove gratuities and Americans will cover, we are the center of everything, etc. Perhaps you should stick to sailing purely British lines and MSC.

As previously pointed out, this thread is not about general gratuities, but about the CL and DL "free drinks".

Over the years have met wonderful people from all over the world in the lounges. Fortunately they don't have your attitude. Hopefully you will quit sailing on "American " lines and we won't need to put up with your comments.

As posted earlier, I am British by birth, but a US citizen. Many of your comments throughout this thread have been very sad and anti-American.

So you plan to remove gratuities and Americans will cover, we are the center of everything, etc. Perhaps you should stick to sailing purely British lines and MSC.

As previously pointed out, this thread is not about general gratuities, but about the CL and DL "free drinks".

Over the years have met wonderful people from all over the world in the lounges. Fortunately they don't have your attitude. Hopefully you will quit sailing on "American " lines and we won't need to put up with your comments.

Thank you! I don't think I would have been as polite in my reply!:o

That's terrible! Maybe they like their front yard "watered" instead. :eek:

We were just glad that we didn't wait around to eat the food we ordered (if they even started preparing it), as they may have "doctored" it up a bit!:eek:

We've always tipped at the end of the cruise using cash in envelopes (in addition to autograts). We've always had good service in the lounges and the servers have always been the same ones on the last night or we have been able to find them. Reading this and that people are examining what others are doing, perhaps we should change to the "tip per night" or "tip per drink" approach (even though it feels a bit crass to us - cultural difference).

As Aussies, we are not used to tipping at home but I always work hard to understand what is expected in the different parts of the US - cue frenzied googling while in the taxi/cab after landing from 15-24 hours of flights - eg. "what to tip cab driver New York City" and I always save dollar bills for the next visit. Oh the stress....

We've always tipped at the end of the cruise using cash in envelopes. We've always had good service in the lounges and the servers have always been the same ones on the last night or we have been able to find them. Reading this and that people are examining what others are doing, perhaps we should change to the "tip per night" or "tip per drink" approach (even though it feels a bit crass to us - cultural difference).

As Aussies, we are not used to tipping at home but I always work hard to understand what is expected in the different parts of the US - cue frenzied googling while in the taxi/cab after landing from 15-24 hours of flights - eg. "what to tip cab driver New York City" and I always save dollar bills for the next visit. Oh the stress....

Pretty much the same for us when we needed to know how much to tip the driver who took us from Miami airport to Ft Lauderdale and also the driver who took us to the ship from the hotel. We do tip in the UK but not as much as they do in the US. We always pre pay gratuities now and more for good service and in the DL at the end of a cruise and to be honest on our sailings from Southampton I've not seen anyone give cash tips per drink but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough although the majority of people in the DL are from the UK so may not be giving out dollars or euros as much.

I am beginning to think that my previous impression of you was off the mark and that maybe the issue is that you went to comedy school and are just practicing with your posts, as they are a joke.

We need an official Diamond Member Protocol Manager, are you volunteering? When I first became Diamond, many in the Diamond forum said to tip your waiter big on the first night and they will take care of you. I did that and she never returned to the DL.
I have tipped the first waiter 5-10 dollars first drink and got mediocre service.

Now it is $1 a drink to whoever serves us and service is very good.

Yea, and just when I had all kinds of fascinating information on overflow lounges.

Come visit Musings on Mariner. [emoji6]

Please tell us John.

That thread was good until it was closed.

Great photos and you both seem to be having a fantastic time.

I suspect there is a difference between UK passengers at times. In the US, tipping is accepted practice as it is how the bar staff earn their salary. In the UK, it would not be the normal process to tip when ordering a drink. All the staff would be earning at least the guaranteed minimum wage (currently £7.83), so tips are generally seen as a reward for exceptional service. Tipping at a restaurant is becoming more common than it used to be, but many people still don't. FWIW, we tip at the end of the cruise.

Personally I tend to find the tipping process quite stressful in the US. I get the impression that there is an expected amount you are meant to tip for each activity, but never sure what that percentage is. If someone is willing to enlightened me I would be grateful.

Sent from my D6603 using Forums mobile app

20-25%

Please tell us John.

That thread was good until it was closed.

Great photos and you both seem to be having a fantastic time.

The expansion of deck 14, Schooner and Boleros unlimited drinks, and 4 drinks on your card for the other venues.