More fake service dog nonsense

Well...this just isn't right. It's bad for the poor animal, being forced to sit with a short leash and can barely move. It's bad for the other passengers, especially those of us with allergies.

All because the narcissist owner doesn't have to board their dog or claims some sort of malady.

cdd67d4baacc3ecd7289000c2bd673d9.jpg

I think it’s the only dog on the current Navigator TA.

Well...this just isn't right. It's bad for the poor animal, being forced to sit with a short leash and can barely move. It's bad for the other passengers, especially those of us with allergies.

All because the narcissist owner doesn't have to board their dog or claims some sort of malady.

|

That dog actually appears to be a legit service dog and Im rather positive it was only there for a short period of time. Service dogs are use to being placed and staying placed for long periods of time though. Are you saying that all of us that have a legit service dog that makes life a little easier for us are narcissists that are claiming maladies? :confused:

Edited by ryano

My husband and I travel with another couple all the time that has a service dog - Legitimate with a license. She is a hearing dog as my girlfriend is deaf. The dog will pick up stuff she drops (cannot hear it), will turn her around when we call the dogs name, is her alarm clock, etc. We have cruised twice with the dog who wears a vest that clearly states - hearing dog do not pet. She goes to the bathroom on command in the box others described - owners are responsible for picking up the poop, and the crew should change the box every few days. (Not sure this happens). When boarding, the owners get a special tag on their sea pass card and if one of them leaves the ship without the dog they are stopped. The dog sleeps under the table at dinner, and DOES NOT run up and down the aisle an airplane even if they both fall asleep. That is the mark of a service dog among other things.

What is sad is when others who have abused the system, the looks some people give us. They think we are pretending. Someone had the nerve to ask my friend where she got the vest because she wanted to bring her dog to. Let's just say my friend was very upset and the lady got an education.

Please do not ruin it for others who truly need the dog.

Ok, what I would like to know where are these animals going to the bathroom?

I really agree that the ADA requirements need to be stronger. We go to Disney World very often ( husband works there) and now I'm seeing dogs in strollers, that's ridiculous. They can't go on the attractions so what do they do? I've been going there since it opened in "71" never have seen one dog in that time like have I seen them in the passed 2 years. I'm seeing the same in grogery stores. Yuk.

My husband and I would love to take our cats (which is a breed that you can't be allergic to) on a cruise. But we don't even try cause we respect the policies that cruise lines and businesses have. Why can't other people be respectful?

My thoughts to the person's son that had the dog placed in his face, start coughing, sneezing and itching until the cruise line would have to demand that the animal be restricted to their cabin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I travel often to Disney with a couple who has a service dog. We have been going there for the past 8 years with them and their dog. In Disney there are a few places in each park marked for the service dogs to go to the bathroom. Often times discretely hidden and you can only see them if you are looking for them. And yes my friends dog goes on command so no accidents around the parks. Last time we were there someone had two small dogs in a stroller that barked at my friends dog and starting going nuts. My friend told her dog - no barking - and the dog just walked away. That is a true service dog.

The dog can go on some attractions but not those that have restraints. Usually one of us waits with the dog and do a sort of "child" swap for those rides the dog cannot go on.

I would think that no one on this thread has an issue with a true service dog. I think we are just fed up with the owners who are trying to beat the system by passing the family pet off as a service dog to save some $$$.

My 2 cents on this topic.

None of us will ever know if one of these dogs is a true service dog. Is there a person with a service dog for seizures who dresses it up / pushes it around in a stroller? Possibly. And certainly not my job to investigate whether it is a valid service dog.

If the dog is not behaving appropriately, take photos / video if you would like and report it on board and to RCCL corporate offices. Then move on. If the dog is behaving, why even waste the time wondering if it is legitimate or not.

Don’t let other people’s negative behavior (actual or perceived) ruin your vacation, especially on a cruise. There are too many things that can get annoying on a cruise if you allow it... service dogs, chair savers, what people wear in dining rooms, misbehaving kids, etc.

|

That dog actually appears to be a legit service dog and Im rather positive it was only there for a short period of time. Service dogs are use to being placed and staying placed for long periods of time though. Are you saying that all of us that have a legit service dog that makes life a little easier for us are narcissists that are claiming maladies? :confused:

(SIGH!)

Someone mentioned they saw this dog, and two others “in a cart” ( Stroller?).

Dogs in carts being pushed around? I have an issue with that.

If you have a legitimate service dog, no harm-no foul!

If you have a pet you’re pushing around in a stroller, or cradling around the ship like an infant (as I saw on my last RCCL sailing) under the guise of a required emotional support animal, yes, big issue.

Someone ties their dog up while on the Flo-Rider? I’d ask for proof that the dog has been legitimately prescribed by an authorized and recognized medical source.

TRUE service dogs, generally speaking, are trained in general behavior before they are ever trained to provide whatever particular service they will provide. They don't bark at people, approach people, strain to get off their leash, ignore basic owner commands, etc. For one to misbehave would be so rare it would be all but unheard of, thus muzzling such animals shouldn't be needed.

ESAs on the other hand, don't have to go through any particular training. If a "service dog" approaches you, barks for no good reason, ignores commands, relieves itself in inappropriate areas or does anything else that indicate lack of a monumental level of general behavior training, you can bet that it's not a real service dog, but rather an ESA or a pet masquerading as a service dog.

It is not a service dog. He may be claiming comfort dog which is a big difference.

A service dog and an ESA (comfort dog) have totally different laws. A service dog cannot be denied to a place but an ESA can. A service dog is a specially trained to provide for the person’s specific disablility. An ESA is not required to have any training and is often being abused as a title.

Seeing these “comfort pets” being allowed on RCCL will have me rethink any future cruises with them.

Would love to hear what the Guest Services Officer had to say about this.

One thing he said was why I did not contact him first instead of contacting Mr Bailey. He was a bit miffed because I went through Mr. Bailey's office. I said to him, tell me honestly would you have even called me back in that case? He had no answer and said it is a sensitive issue. The solution he offered: He said he will "talk" to the owner to control the dog and prevent him from jumping and trying to snap and bite. He also offered to move me from my cabin to another deck. I declined. He said to contact him immediately if I had another problem with the dog and owner.

My 2 cents on this topic.

None of us will ever know if one of these dogs is a true service dog. Is there a person with a service dog for seizures who dresses it up / pushes it around in a stroller? Possibly. And certainly not my job to investigate whether it is a valid service dog.

If the dog is not behaving appropriately, take photos / video if you would like and report it on board and to RCCL corporate offices. Then move on. If the dog is behaving, why even waste the time wondering if it is legitimate or not.

I couldn't agree more! Ours is not to judge....

TRUE service dogs, generally speaking, are trained in general behavior before they are ever trained to provide whatever particular service they will provide. They don't bark at people, approach people, strain to get off their leash, ignore basic owner commands, etc. For one to misbehave would be so rare it would be all but unheard of, thus muzzling such animals shouldn't be needed.

ESAs on the other hand, don't have to go through any particular training. If a "service dog" approaches you, barks for no good reason, ignores commands, relieves itself in inappropriate areas or does anything else that indicate lack of a monumental level of general behavior training, you can bet that it's not a real service dog, but rather an ESA or a pet masquerading as a service dog.

PERFECT reply, I just wish I knew how to ...cut and paste your reply on ALL the "dog threads"

Your reply should ALSO be sent to ALL rccl employees ESPECIALLY those responsible for letting animals, on board.

One thing he said was why I did not contact him first instead of contacting Mr Bailey. He was a bit miffed because I went through Mr. Bailey's office. I said to him, tell me honestly would you have even called me back in that case? He had no answer and said it is a sensitive issue. The solution he offered: He said he will "talk" to the owner to control the dog and prevent him from jumping and trying to snap and bite. He also offered to move me from my cabin to another deck. I declined. He said to contact him immediately if I had another problem with the dog and owner.

Interesting... On Serenade last Dec in an Aft cabin. Minimum once a day as I walked by one cabin would hear dog barking. Was 11 nite cruise but I never once saw a dog in public...

Until the line changes the policy threads like this one really are meaningless RCCL policy says:

" A service dog is defined as "any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability."

So take this very general policy and combine with

Disability: "...any continuing condition that restricts everyday activities. The Disability Services Act (1993) defines ‘disability’ as meaning a disability:which is attributable to an intellectual, psychiatric, cognitive, neurological, sensory or physical impairment or a combination of those impairments.

Which means long threads like this that will change nothing.

I couldn't agree more! Ours is not to judge....

You lack the capability to tell when a drunkard is carrying around his dog and showing it off, encouraging people to pet it, that it is NOT a trained service animal and that the guy is scamming the system? That's not being judgmental, that's looking at what is right in front of you.

(SIGH!)

Someone mentioned they saw this dog, and two others “in a cart” ( Stroller?).

Someone ties their dog up while on the Flo-Rider? I’d ask for proof that the dog has been legitimately prescribed by an authorized and recognized medical source.

(SIGH)

Sorry but Im having a REALLY hard time picturing or believing someone was pushing around a 70 - 80 pound Labrador Retriever in a "cart" so Im gonna raise the BS flag on that one.

Secondly, service dogs do NOT have to be "prescribed" by any medical source. You would only make yourself look really foolish for asking such a question.

Edited by ryano

I overheard a women trying to plan a birthday party for her dog at Coastal Kitchen this week on Anthem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me that you made this up! :eek: