Live from the Prinsendam - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer - May 5th, 2018

kazu

We had a lovely sleep-in this morning and didn't wake up until 10 am - which actually was only 7 am in Victoria, so quite a respectable time, but we missed breakfast at the ES, so we headed over to Joe's Cafe for brunch, which was excellent with very attentive service. Then Publix, JJ Max and Total Wine. I am quite stiff today - I guess because of two days of sitting in uncomfortable aircraft, so I will have to do some exercising on board. But I managed to pick up a few things, and it's always nice to have some clothing that is different from what I'd find at home.

Yesterday, we met up with Gigianne and her DH first at Toronto Airport and then later at the ES Manager's reception. Kazu and her DH showed up halfway through as their flight was later. We stayed on to have dinner at the ES instead of going out.

All is well, and we're looking forward to tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's our answer KK....she made it to FLL okay......:)

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to post last night.

By the time we were done having fun, I was beat from the travelling. This morning we were up early to get some necessary & fun shopping done.

Here is Friday's boring report:

How many sardines can you fit in a can? Air Canada Rough does a good job of it. ;)

We were in premier class thankfully (they don’t dare call it business class). In premier you get an Ipad for free to watch movies. (No TV on the back of the chair). Does that tell you anything? But, we are here :)

Happy days as we have arrived in Fort Lauderdale and waiting for us were dear cruise buddies who saved us a spot at their table at the Manager’s reception. The warm weather is a nice flip. And a drink will be well deserved after the day of travelling.

Friday we will hit Total Wine, get some toiletries for the cruise (I learned that trick thanks to sapper1 - nothing in an aerosol can gets packed. We just buy in FLL.) and do a bit of browsing and relaxing.

And I can get the meet and greet invites addressed. There’s been a lot of late cabin assignments and some good changes for a few roll call members. I’ll never get why cabins are assigned so late on a sold out cruise.

We started at 9:15 AM and are in at 6:15 PM. You’d think we were travelling across the pond - LOL.

So good to see gigianne & Vict0riann again. We had a great time chatting and laughing over some drinks and dinner.

DH and I went out to enjoy the fresh air and down came such a deluge of rain it was unbelievable. Absolutely torrential. I guess Kazu is not meant to escape rain. We figured it was a sign bed was calling and decided to call it a night at 10 PM.

A beautiful sunny day in FLL. With most of the running around done, I thought I would take advantage and get the meet and greet invites updated outside at ESpot to enjoy the weather.

While I was updating a motion on the tree beside me caught my eye.

Now there are lots of those little ginko things around here but this is the first time I have seen an iguana this big here at ES.

333909e42caf52f24a42e9e2b4836888.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The people at the table saw me getting up and asked if I was moving away. LOL - I said no, I'm getting a pic.

59861a6bb92d486afcbba1b82182544c.jpg

Looks like Tapatalk is only letting me ost one picture at a time?

Hope this is a temporary burp.

Edited by kazu

If it's like this tomorrow, we'll have quite a sail away! I've been out on the balcony watching the show, while Pat has gone walkabout. There was a lone jet doing his (or her) acrobatics, rolls and loop-the-loops, zooming way up high and then diving down really fast, and then after 20 minutes or so the jet left and a large black helicopter came along, very ungainly looking compared with the jet. We may not be the top priority for the webcams tomorrow!

The people at the table saw me getting up and asked if I was moving away. LOL - I said no, I'm getting a pic.

And when it gets cold in Florida, these fellow literally fall out of the trees! It rains iguanas!

He'll probably be on the menu here tonight!

I think those iguanas are cute...I forget which island in the Caribbean we visited which had a bunch of them...Puerto Rico? St. Thomas? St. Maarten? Can't remember....but they were all sunning on the rocks near the where the ship was docked.

St Thomas. Crown Bay

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seen lots of the iguanas in the Caribbean too and in a couple of other ports further south. First time I have seen one this large in Florida. And certainly, the first time at Embassy Suites.

Looks like this is a big weekend in FLL. The air show, the navy stuff, Cinco de Mayo and I have been told the weekend weather doesn't look good :(

Apparently this is the nicest day that they have had all week.

Fingers crossed for nice weather but fortunately, Ann (Vict0riann) suggested a wise location for our sail a way so that we will be protected.

Brilliant, Ann :D

Kazu

Glad you made it to Ft Lauderdale safely.

Embassy Suites used to have lots of Iguanas. Several years ago they had a deep freeze and it killed hundreds of them all over the place. We missed for a couple of years. Then one day while sitting out in 2013 we spotted one. In 2016 we saw 3 of them. I miss the 2 black swans that were out where the gold fish are, the 4 ducks that swam in the inside water and the squirrels that would dash around early in the morning by the pool. With so many of the trees gone, many of the green (noisy) parakeets.

At least you were given iPads to watch on your flight. In 2016 going from Phoenix to Pittsburgh we had absolutely nothing in first class to watch. That was the oldest plane we had been on in many years. At least they served us breakfast.

<snip>

I have been told the weekend weather doesn't look good :(

Apparently this is the nicest day that they have had all week :D

Glad to see you made it out of the flood zone. The weather is wild. Two weeks ago we were iced in and now we are under tornado watch. Things are flying around outside that shouldn’t be airborne. I’m just glad we have a different colour roof than everyone else so I know the shingles aren’t ours.

Whatever the weather, enjoy the sail away tomorrow! The adventure begins!

I'm not a fan of reptiles, so I'd be skidding off in the other direction if I'd seen that one going up the tree. I'm okay with the little gecko's, but give me an iguana like that and I can run so fast, you wouldn't believe it!

Hoping for good weather for you tomorrow.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Great photo, Jacqui! We've seen iguanas that big near the canal when we've stayed at the Riverside. The hotel has signs out telling you not to feed the iguanas. There's something about the faces that makes me think they look insolent, like juvenile delinquents. All they need is a ciggie hanging out of the corner of their mouths.

Glad you made it safely to FLL. I'll be watching sailaway tomorrow!!

And when it gets cold in Florida, these fellow literally fall out of the trees! It rains iguanas!

I read where that was happening last winter. Another amazing fact, they almost always survive the fall and when they warm up they are fine.

No TV on the back of the chair. Does that tell you anything?
Does the in flight meal consist of a sandwich in a paper bag? Sounds like Ryan Air. "Did you want a seat? :)That'll be extra".

I guess Kazu is not meant to escape rain.

Perhaps you brought it with you and N.B. is now drying out.

Does the in flight meal consist of a sandwich in a paper bag? Sounds like Ryan Air. "Did you want a seat? :)That'll be extra".[/font][/color]

Perhaps you brought it with you and N.B. is now drying out.

I wish I could say that N.B. Is drying out, but sadly, that's not the case. The flooding is scheduled to crest this weekend. It's a historic one, sadly.

Last Saturday was a beautiful day in FLL. I will keep my fingers crossed that you have one just like it.

Thanks Kathi. It's windy and there are some grey clouds but forecast is now for scattered showers but showers all afternoon.

Either way, we'll be our ship :). Just hope that the wind and storm front from Bermuda don't make the ride rocky, but, if it has to be, we'll be on the best ship in the fleet to deal with it ;)

Glad to see you made it out of the flood zone. The weather is wild. Two weeks ago we were iced in and now we are under tornado watch. Things are flying around outside that shouldn’t be airborne. I’m just glad we have a different colour roof than everyone else so I know the shingles aren’t ours.

Whatever the weather, enjoy the sail away tomorrow! The adventure begins!

Oh dear Gail, hope you stay safe (yn)

Great photo, Jacqui! We've seen iguanas that big near the canal when we've stayed at the Riverside. The hotel has signs out telling you not to feed the iguanas. There's something about the faces that makes me think they look insolent, like juvenile delinquents. All they need is a ciggie hanging out of the corner of their mouths.

Glad you made it safely to FLL. I'll be watching sailaway tomorrow!!

See you in two weeks Kathy! :)

It's boarding day :)

I took a peek out to see if our ship was hidden by the ginormous ones that are in.

And, it's at the very front.

a06a61e3df1085f8d9f4db68f6cf40d2.jpg