It's time for RC to go paperless on setsail passes.

djjoe

Yes, you go through the check-in process either way, but pre-printing means the difference in going up to any available person with an iPad, versus waiting in line at the counters. In Bayonne, we checked in at the curb, while giving the porters our luggage. As you said, they'll happily print it for you at the counter, which we saw many people doing.

I think a paperless option would be great for those who desire it. I go paperless for lots of things, but this wouldn't be one of them. I print boarding passes for the airport, too.

Again no argument. My response was only to those saying you "need" your Setsail pass (no matter paper or paperless) to check in to get on the ship. You don't! If you do have it, it will definitely expedite the check in process. We also do paper for cruises and flights. Old school. :cool:

I'm surprised the anti-technology brigade hasn't mentioned how they don't use their phones at all on vacation

I would embrace a paperless option.

We don't use our cell phones at all on the ship. It goes in the safe when we get to the cabin and doesn't come out until we leave the ship. Our friends and family know how to get in touch with us in case of emergencies. Anything else can wait. We don't use out in public like in restaurants or stores, we must be in the minority. Common curtesy is a thing of the past.

We don't use our cell phones at all on the ship. It goes in the safe when we get to the cabin and doesn't come out until we leave the ship. Our friends and family know how to get in touch with us in case of emergencies. Anything else can wait. We don't use out in public like in restaurants or stores, we must be in the minority. Common curtesy is a thing of the past.

I dunno, you can choose not to answer calls, but if you're going to carry around a camera anyway, it might as well be your smartphone. I don't get why people buy point and shoot cameras anymore.

Edited by tekguy26

We're also part of the minority.

I would go paperless in a hot minute. I don’t even own a color printer anymore just a black and white laser jet printer for the off times that I have to print something. The problem is until everyone has upgraded to a smartphone it can’t happen. There are plenty of older folks who still write checks and carry flip phones who make up a large portion of the cruising population.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would go paperless in a hot minute. I don’t even own a color printer anymore just a black and white laser jet printer for the off times that I have to print something. The problem is until everyone has upgraded to a smartphone it can’t happen. There are plenty of older folks who still write checks and carry flip phones who make up a large portion of the cruising population.

Old school member here. I don't text either. :cool:

I’m going on the Allure on June 24th and I can pull up my SetSail pass in the new Royal Caribbean app. I think Allure is the only ship that does this right now. I’m assuming they will roll this out fleet wide in a year or so. Also, right now they are testing out an express arrival lane for people that have a mobile boarding pass.

Won't work very well if you sail from Rome, Sydney, shanghai or a number of other places. You going to get an international plan for your cell?

Not all cruises leave/arrive in the same country.

Also,the RC IT folks can't even run a sales Web site and you want to go paperless?

Won't work very well if you sail from Rome, Sydney, shanghai or a number of other places. You going to get an international plan for your cell?

Also,the RC IT folks can't even run a sales Web site and you want to go paperless?

Very valid points.

I dunno, you can choose not to answer calls, but if you're going to carry around a camera anyway, it might as well be your smartphone. I don't get why people buy point and shoot cameras anymore.

The only calls I ever get on my cell are from solicitors who I just block but in reality you can just turn off the phone service in settings and still use the other functions if you don't want to be bothered with calls. Even my 85yr old father can send a text on his 10yr old flip phone. The term phone shouldn't even be the name of the device at this point. I carry it in my pocket and use it for a camera. When I get to a hot spot all the pictures are uploaded to the cloud and on to my desktop at home. The phone takes better photos than any camera I have ever owned. I'm not big on photography. I just like to capture the moment so a fancy camera that only has one function is a waste for me. I understand that you can now download an app to your phone that will provide deck plans and events on the ship. I can also take notes for the review that I will write when I get home. I also have a flashlight if there is a loss of power. I can play games on the phone while waiting for a show to start. I really don't need to carry a laptop any more because my phone has all of the functions of a computer. I can down load books, movies ect. The people who lock up their phone are only using it as a phone which really severs no purpose on a cruise ship.

I'm all for the mobile option of check-in if people choose to use it. As for me, I print my airline boarding passes and all cruise documents.

I'm a hybrid - I pay almost all bills online and via auto-pay, but I want to receive a paper copy of the bill in the mail. I don't write checks at the grocery store anymore, but I have never used debit with my bank cards - it's cash or credit only. I have a smart phone, but have never played a game on it. My phone is my only camera and takes great pictures, so that's a huge plus. It's also my alarm clock, esp on vacations.

To each their own. More than one right way to do things.

As far as using actual cameras vs. phones...

When I go on vacation, I take my DSLR and a P&S. On a cruise, my phone goes in the safe. Even on a land vacation, the phone would be my last choice for a picture (but does have it's place).

The DSLR allows me to utilize different lenses for different situations. Low light? Check. Decent zoom? Check. Drop the background out of focus? Check. Set individual settings to my preference easily and quickly? Check.

The P&S is waterproof, can easily set the zoom, and small enough to fit in a pocket.

Now, if you're not that interested in photography and just want a quick snapshot, sure, use your phone. It definitely has it's place. But to say there's no reason to use anything else is naive.

I'm a fairly frequent flyer and have never once had a problem with using my phone for a boarding pass. In fact, I've been in several situations where my flight gets screwed up (e.g. bad weather) and I can rebook from my phone. I got stuck in Atlanta a couple years ago for about 12 hours due to a bad thunderstorm. I could see all options on my phone and changed plans twice (since other plans also got cancelled) while watching a line that must have been 100+ people long slowly inch its way to a few frazzled customer service rep.

There's also a misconception that using a phone is risky in case you don't have internet access. I put everything in my Apply Wallet app so there's a copy on my phone. I also take a screen shot of the boarding pass so that it's in my Photos, also on my phone (a trick a learned from an Allegiant employee). For international flights, I'll have copies of everything online that I can get to with any device that can access the internet. If my wife is flying with me, we can airdrop copies of things to each other for further backup. Not nearly as complicated as it might sound.

If done properly (yeah, I know...) a paperless option could be more convenient for customers AND be a productivity help for employees. And it doesn't need to be an all or nothing replacement for paper. Let those who like paper continue to use paper. This is exactly what almost all of my banking, credit card, and utility bills do. No more paper bills in the mail for me. Almost everything is now emailed and paid automatically.

T-Mobile and others have free international coverage if you have a certain plan. Saves us a lot of money on data and text when traveling.

Bull ****! The Setsail pass does not get you on the ship. It does expedite the check-in process. If you show up without your Setsail pass you still will be processed and then given your Seapass card which is what you need to board the ship with not the Setsail pass.

ONE MORE TIME.

On SOME ships, you do NOT get your SeaPass card at checkin, it is in the cabin. And you must have a Setsail pass for EACH passenger to get on the ship and charge things before the rooms open.

Although I do have a Smart Phone and could do it, there are many who only have a regular Cell Phone and have no idea how to do it. I prefer to have a paper trail for my Reservations. I see many use their phones to check in during boarding and agree it does safe time having to haul out that paper to show the agent at the counter or gate.