It's time for RC to go paperless on setsail passes.

djjoe

The airlines all do it, why can't the cruise lines do it? When I check in for a flight a QR code is already sent to my phone, no paper required, just show it at airport. I just checked in for a upcoming cruise out of Bayonne. The have you upload your security photo and input your onboard account info. Then you must print out a setsail pass for each person on the reservation, using double the amount of paper. There is no place to sign on the setsail pass as the info is in their system already. The important info is the bar code, which I feel can be sent to any smart phone. Think about it, They scan your phone, give you a seapass card, and that's it. done! :rolleyes::rolleyes:But please don't let the IT guys that designed the "new and improved" web page get their hands on this idea.

What about those of us who have Flip phones ?

I asked to see if this is something new, earlier on this thread.

Is this the case where each member on the same reservation needs a printed out set sail pass when boarding at Cape Liberty?

bosco

Yes, each person needs one because SeaPass cards aren't handed out in the terminal. They'll be waiting for you in your cabin. The SetSail will also be used for any purchases prior to the cabins becoming available. HTH

Totally agree! :-)

It's so simple for me to just print that one set sail page, fold it into the passports...and I am ready to go. Love my reusable plastic sleeves for my pre-printed luggage tags.

As usual, I agree with you. I have my luggage tags printed and attached before we leave the house since we drive to the port. I also have the set sail pass and cruise invoice printed, since they have our OBC listed.

Yes, each person needs one because SeaPass cards aren't handed out in the terminal. They'll be waiting for you in your cabin. The SetSail will also be used for any purchases prior to the cabins becoming available. HTH

Thanks for the response. I guess this eliminates the need for photos being taken at check in, if you submit a photo for each sea pass?

bosco

Thanks for the response. I guess this eliminates the need for photos being taken at check in, if you submit a photo for each sea pass?

bosco

Yes, it does. They can still take your photo at check-in, of course. Uploading ahead of time just saves a step at the pier.

I haven't even bothered to print a Set Sail pass for my last five cruises. I have a fully paid reservation, they look me up by name, I present my credit card and passport and we're good to go. It causes ZERO delay. Why bother printing anything? Almost as silly as people's obsession with luggage tags.

I haven't even bothered to print a Set Sail pass for my last five cruises. I have a fully paid reservation, they look me up by name, I present my credit card and passport and we're good to go. It causes ZERO delay. Why bother printing anything? Almost as silly as people's obsession with luggage tags.

So you've never been asked by the terminal staff directing you to a line to look at your SetSail Pass. We show ours to go to the correct line and that being Suite or D+. I'll assume you just avoid them and get in any line you want.

There are still dead cell-phone service areas in this country. I live in one. No reason to have a cell phone I cannot use.

I do carry a cell-phone in the car for emergency. Would be absolutely stuck at home, if it required me having a smart phone to travel anywhere.

I prefer to have a printed pass. It's a good back-up if the system is down. I was once checking in at an airport with a major airline whose entire system was down. It was a mess but those with printed boarding passes were in a better position than those who were relying solely on their phones. Not to mention that at the gate, boarding passes on phones do not scan as quickly as the printed boarding passes. It can really back the line up if too many people are using their phones. Sometimes paper IS better. The cellular service inside a massive cruise terminal probably isn't that great either.

As usual, I agree with you. I have my luggage tags printed and attached before we leave the house since we drive to the port. I also have the set sail pass and cruise invoice printed, since they have our OBC listed.

Agree with you as well. :) I also print out that single confirmation page that shows OBC...just in case I ever have to prove it. ;)

On the rare occasion that we would fly to a port, I have luggage tags printed out and already in the plastic sleeves along with zip ties in my travel pouch, ready to attach when we pull them off the baggage claim. Only take a few seconds. :)

Glad to see you agree with me that you do not need to print off your Setsail pass in order to check-in and board the ship no matter the class. At the time of my original post there was no reference/mention to what class ships either.

No I do not agree with you.

If you don't print it out on certain ships, they print it out. So it is still printed out.

YOU were the one that stated you never needed a printed Set Sail pass, and that the Sea Pass was what got you in the ship.

Don't get me wrong, I love technology. But Royal's IT department is probably the worst ever!

When we fly, if I can do mobile boarding passes, I do, but I carry a paper copy "just in case"

Now I LOVE LOVE the Mobile Passport-best thing ever for flying back for Punta Cana. Saved our time so much.

But like others, I just don't trust Royal's IT department - I always carry a paper copy of my bev pkg, any OBC etc until I get on the ship and find it is actually okay, then I throw them away.

When we uploaded our photo's for Harmony in Dec, we got to the port and they were not excepted. And you had to have a paper copy of the SetSail or you were not getting anything to drink until you could get into your cabin and get your SeaPass card. So while Paperless is good, it does not always work. Sometimes you have to have paper.

I do tons of things with my smartphone, make deposits, etc. But when I need paper, I print it.

So you've never been asked by the terminal staff directing you to a line to look at your SetSail Pass. We show ours to go to the correct line and that being Suite or D+. I'll assume you just avoid them and get in any line you want.

You assume wrong. I simply tell them I'm in a suite, or what deck I am on, or whatever else is relevant. Never been a problem at all.

And you had to have a paper copy of the SetSail or you were not getting anything to drink until you could get into your cabin and get your SeaPass card. So while Paperless is good, it does not always work. Sometimes you have to have paper.

Could easily be linked to the barcode or QR code that would be on your mollie device.

No I do not agree with you.

If you don't print it out on certain ships, they print it out. So it is still printed out.

YOU were the one that stated you never needed a printed Set Sail pass, and that the Sea Pass was what got you in the ship.

... for the Freedom, Voyager, Radiance, Vision, Sovereign and Empress class ships you do not need a printed Setsail Pass to check in or board the ship. We haven't cruised on the Quantum or Oasis class ships. Bottom line if you show up at the pier without a printed Setsail Pass you still can board any ship in the RC fleet. Would we show up without our printed Setsail Passes, hell no! Glad you agree with me. ;p

Edited by davekathy

Won't work very well if you sail from Rome, Sydney, shanghai or a number of other places. You going to get an international plan for your cell?

Not all cruises leave/arrive in the same country.

Also,the RC IT folks can't even run a sales Web site and you want to go paperless?

Unless you can download it early and take a screenshot of it. That's what I always do with my airline boarding pass just in case the internet is sketchy at the airport.

Funny fact, use of computers has INCREASED paper use. People write, then print, they edit, then print, then edit, then print. :D

I work in a law firm. Add print and edit about ten more times and you've got it right ;):D

Totally agree! :-)

It's so simple for me to just print that one set sail page, fold it into the passports...and I am ready to go. Love my reusable plastic sleeves for my pre-printed luggage tags.

Me too! The last thing I want to do is get to the port and waste my time filling out or affixing luggage tags. I print them out at work (color printer) and then put them in my plastic sleeves. Pack the sleeves in my carry-on (God forbid the airline should lose my luggage) and then put them on my luggage the night before the cruise in my hotel room so I'm ready to go the next morning.

There would still be an option to print.

or

Just get a smart phone.

Not everyone can afford a smart phone or, for that matter, want one. Some of us aren't addicted to our phones.