It's time for RC to go paperless on setsail passes.

djjoe

The airlines all do it, why can't the cruise lines do it? When I check in for a flight a QR code is already sent to my phone, no paper required, just show it at airport. I just checked in for a upcoming cruise out of Bayonne. The have you upload your security photo and input your onboard account info. Then you must print out a setsail pass for each person on the reservation, using double the amount of paper. There is no place to sign on the setsail pass as the info is in their system already. The important info is the bar code, which I feel can be sent to any smart phone. Think about it, They scan your phone, give you a seapass card, and that's it. done! :rolleyes::rolleyes:But please don't let the IT guys that designed the "new and improved" web page get their hands on this idea.

On my recent Symphony sailing, my set sail Barcode was available in the Royal app, I did not have to print it. The check-in agent scanned my phone, however she still printed a copy of it for me. The only reason I can think of why she did was to be able to stamp the document with her 'checked in' stamp.

It might be completely paperless once the ship reaches Miami, we will have to wait and see but at least they have started going down that path.

Might work in Caribbean embarkation ports but we don’t turn our phones on in Europe so we will stick with paper. I think if they want to give the consumer a choice they can but to require a device to check in is a no.

I think it was available offline, it was certainly not required, only a few people knew about it. Airlines do not require the phone version either.

ONE MORE TIME.

On SOME ships, you do NOT get your SeaPass card at checkin, it is in the cabin. And you must have a Setsail pass for EACH passenger to get on the ship and charge things before the rooms open.

ONE LAST TIME!! All I'm saying is you will not be turned away and denied boarding if you don't have your printed off Setsail passes with you when checking in. If you show up at the check-in desk without your printed off Setsail passes you will be issued one at the check-in desk to get you on SOME of those ships that don't issue Seapass cards during check in. For all the other class ships you will be issued your Seapass cards at the time of check-in even without your printed off Setsail passes. Again my initial response was to those saying you "need" your printed off Setsail pass to check in to get on the ship.

Edited by davekathy

In the late ‘70s, early ‘80s, we started getting word processors in the office. The hue and cry was “paperless society.” If it hasn’t happened by now, I don’t think it will. That paper trail is still very important (just ask an attorney).

That said, I’m very comfortable with my smart phone, iPad, etc., but still prefer paper boarding passes.

Just like having that security, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I like both options. But I will say it is really funny to watch people try to show their tickets onboard the commuter rail here in Boston and there is no service. Conductor has to stand there until they get reception. What happens if the computers go down at check in? I had that happen in Miami last year. Took 10 minutes for them to get it up and running. And yet I stood there with my paper docs, so they were at least able to get my SeaPass during the downtime. Technology isn't perfect so it is always nice to have a back-up "just in case".

As for the phone/camera issue, I prefer the camera. You can't always see the screen when taking pictures in the bright sunlight with a phone.

I see the point of paperless, and I agree it works well with the airlines. As someone else mentioned it's great if you need to re-book your flight due to cancellation etc. However on a cruise you still have to print out luggage tags, I print everything necessary and keep it in a folder that stays with me until we get on the ship.

I see the point of paperless, and I agree it works well with the airlines. As someone else mentioned it's great if you need to re-book your flight due to cancellation etc. However on a cruise you still have to print out luggage tags, I print everything necessary and keep it in a folder that stays with me until we get on the ship.

No you don't have to print off luggage tags. But I do agree with you about having all documents (Setsail passes) including luggage tags printed off ahead of time. We would never show up at the port of embarkation without luggage tags on our luggage and Setsail passes ready to surrender at check-in.

When we are in a suite we need to show the SetSail pass to bypass the regular entrance at the port, so for that reason I print it.

What I wish was that RC kept the amount of information printed on the pass to a minimum. Half of the page is an unnecessary advertisement that not only uses a lot of printer ink, but that ink also tends to get on my fingers even after it has dried.

Recent news: Delta airlines had a nightmare, computers down. United had a nightmare, computers down. And, on the paper subject. Do you eat corn? Do you eat peas? Do you eat potato? they grow them every year. For every tree DESTROYED to make paper, two trees are planted. Don not look now but trees are a renewable resource...Takes longer to grow, but more of North American is under forest today, than in the late 1700's. If you want, go with both methods, those of us that like a printed boarding pass are happy those that cannot live without the latest technology, are happy...we all get on the ship, we cruise, we smile....

As said before it does not work with all airlines and especially international flights as soon as Passport and Visa requirements are involved. Due to more and more security checks many parties involved request paper tickets again. On our last flight to the US we even had to exchange the online self-printed ticket to the airline format at a check-in counter before beeing allowed to pass security.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No you don't have to print off luggage tags. But I do agree with you about having all documents (Setsail passes) including luggage tags printed off ahead of time. We would never show up at the port of embarkation without luggage tags on our luggage and Setsail passes ready to surrender at check-in.

Interesting, I'm curious how this would work. I've always had the porters outside the terminal take our luggage (obviously with tags) and then check ourselves in and get on the ship.

Interesting, I'm curious how this would work. I've always had the porters outside the terminal take our luggage (obviously with tags) and then check ourselves in and get on the ship.

If you didn't print off your luggage tags prior to arriving at the port the same porters that take your luggage will provide you with luggage tags.

ONE LAST TIME!! All I'm saying is you will not be turned away and denied boarding if you don't have your printed off Setsail passes with you when checking in. If you show up at the check-in desk without your printed off Setsail passes you will be issued one at the check-in desk to get you on SOME of those ships that don't issue Seapass cards during check in. For all the other class ships you will be issued your Seapass cards at the time of check-in even without your printed off Setsail passes. Again my initial response was to those saying you "need" your printed off Setsail pass to check in to get on the ship.

Not exactly what you said last time.

Bull ****! The Setsail pass does not get you on the ship. It does expedite the check-in process. If you show up without your Setsail pass you still will be processed and then given your Seapass card which is what you need to board the ship with not the Setsail pass.

Paper SetSail passes do not bother me in the least. We normally print out our airline boarding passes also.

Agreed! Technology doesn't always go as planned, and having the paper in hand makes me feel better. My boss insists on the same. I've seen more than one airline traveler with their boarding passes loaded on their phone only to be told it's not scanning. They are then pulled out of line while the airline employee tries to resolve the problem. In a cruise terminal I really think going paperless would only slow down the process. As another poster pointed out, not everyone has the ability to use a paperless version. I wouldn't have a problem with the cruise line offering the paperless/electronic version as a second option in addition to paper boarding documents. This is just my opinion on the subject, but I certainly appreciate the OP starting the thread. I expect that in the near future we may see it if the cruise lines can prove it makes their jobs easier and it speeds up the boarding process. I doubt they'd even consider it unless there is something in it for them. And besides, is it really that terribly difficult to carry a piece of paper or two? If they go all electronic, you'd have to have your phone in hand to show the e-ticket. I'm just saying ..... :) Enjoying this thread!

Edited by LHARTWICK
additional comment

In the late ‘70s, early ‘80s, we started getting word processors in the office. The hue and cry was “paperless society.” If it hasn’t happened by now, I don’t think it will. That paper trail is still very important (just ask an attorney).

Funny fact, use of computers has INCREASED paper use. People write, then print, they edit, then print, then edit, then print. :D

I like both options. But I will say it is really funny to watch people try to show their tickets onboard the commuter rail here in Boston and there is no service. Conductor has to stand there until they get reception. What happens if the computers go down at check in? I had that happen in Miami last year. Took 10 minutes for them to get it up and running. And yet I stood there with my paper docs, so they were at least able to get my SeaPass during the downtime. Technology isn't perfect so it is always nice to have a back-up "just in case".

As for the phone/camera issue, I prefer the camera. You can't always see the screen when taking pictures in the bright sunlight with a phone.

Not recently, but in the near past I have had a couple instances of having a paper ticket and being able to check in, board, and fly, when the computers were down. And everyone with an e-ticket got to stay.

And typically in locations where you REALLY wanted to get out. :D

Not exactly what you said last time.

[/b][/font][/color]

Glad to see you agree with me that you do not need to print off your Setsail pass in order to check-in and board the ship no matter the class. At the time of my original post there was no reference/mention to what class ships either.

Funny fact, use of computers has INCREASED paper use. People write, then print, they edit, then print, then edit, then print. :D

Love it! Sounds like our office!!! ;p Just to clarify, why does my RCCL SetSail pass say "When you get to the pier, you'll need to present: Your SetSail Pass; proof of citizenship.....; credit card....." but several of the users on this thread say it's "BS" to have it. It's always been our experience that regardless of the cruise line, we've had to present a boarding pass to even enter the cruise terminal building to begin the boarding process. I've seen people without it pulled to the side while someone comes to confirm that they have a reservation for that cruise. It doesn't matter to me - I'll always have the paper copy in hand. I'm just trying to understand why several say you don't need it.

We would never show up at the port of embarkation without luggage tags on our luggage and Setsail passes ready to surrender at check-in.

Totally agree! :-)

It's so simple for me to just print that one set sail page, fold it into the passports...and I am ready to go. Love my reusable plastic sleeves for my pre-printed luggage tags.

Love it! Sounds like our office!!! ;p Just to clarify, why does my RCCL SetSail pass say "When you get to the pier, you'll need to present: Your SetSail Pass; proof of citizenship.....; credit card....." but several of the users on this thread say it's "BS" to have it. It's always been our experience that regardless of the cruise line, we've had to present a boarding pass to even enter the cruise terminal building to begin the boarding process. I've seen people without it pulled to the side while someone comes to confirm that they have a reservation for that cruise. It doesn't matter to me - I'll always have the paper copy in hand. I'm just trying to understand why several say you don't need it.

The BS reference is to those that say "you need to have your Setsail pass or you can't get on the ship". I have also seen those pulled aside but they weren't denied checking-in and boarding. They were just delayed until authenticated. Not our choice to start out our cruise. The Setsail pass does without a doubt expedite the whole check-in process. Agree we would never show up at the embarkation port without our Setsail passes or luggage tags either. I guess some cruisers possibly forget to bring or lose their Setsail passes. :confused:

Edited by davekathy

It's so simple for me to just print that one set sail page, fold it into the passports...and I am ready to go. Love my reusable plastic sleeves for my pre-printed luggage tags.

OMG - exact same here!! :p LOVE, LOVE, ABSOLUTELY LOVE those sleeves for luggage tags!!! My folded passes are tucked inside each of our passports in hand and ready to show. Yes, I'm just a bit OCD......;p

Totally agree! :-)

Right on. Makes the whole dropping off luggage and embarkation process a whole lot quicker and smoother.

Cape Liberty requires a separate setsail pass for each person on the reservation. So basically each person would have the QR or barcode sent to their own phone. .

I asked to see if this is something new, earlier on this thread.

Is this the case where each member on the same reservation needs a printed out set sail pass when boarding at Cape Liberty?

bosco

OMG - exact same here!! :p LOVE, LOVE, ABSOLUTELY LOVE those sleeves for luggage tags!!! My folded passes are tucked inside each of our passports in hand and ready to show. Yes, I'm just a bit OCD......;p

No OCD..just making life simple. ;) :) Print it out, put it with passports, and no worries.

Those plastic sleeves are also great for using with the numbered disembarkation tags they give you at the end of the cruise. I have seen some that were on the floors in the hallways that got torn off when pax simply attached the flimsy paper tags at the end of the cruise. "Now where did my luggage go??!" :confused::o