never sailed Celebrity

Missymssy

I am considering taking my nephew (just graduating HS) on a week cruise in the fall on Summit. Mainly because the price is right and we can drive to departure port to save on a flight. I was looking at many cruise lines, but find their pricing very confusing. In addition to the cruise fare, what packages are a "must"? Drink, dining, internet? I wish they could just list them on website!

I stopped looking at MSC for that reason. You can't see anything until you actually book.

For a teenager I might suggest that Celebrity may not be the optimum choice if by "fall" you plan to cruise when most other young people are in school. That is, if the young man is hoping to meet new friends and spend some time with chums his own age.

I agree with the above post. While my husband and I prefer Celebrity, we took our college-age kids on a Royal Caribbean cruise. The Royal Caribbean ships tend to have a lot more to do for the young people, such as rock climbing, zip line, surfrider, just to name a few.

A lot depends on the kid and what he likes to do. We sailed mostly on Celebrity with our youngest since he was 3. On cruises he likes to do what we do - chill and relax. He would load some video games on his laptop and play with that when he was bored. Also would load some of his favorite shows to watch. He would also bring stuff to read. We would do things together like play Scrabble, swim, snorkel, go to the beach etc.. He would tell you he had a great time on all his cruises. That said, he would also tell you that while he loves Celebrity, he prefers RCI for the additional activities and better shows.

NCL is another choice that has a lot of activities and extras like water slides, etc --- and they have a ship based in NYC year round. Some Celebrity posters will tell you they would never sail NCL but we don't feel that way, and their ships have a lot of devoted fans. It has a much livelier, more upbeat ambiance than Celebrity, which is elegant and dignified , and NCL attracts more young cruisers.

A high school kid is going to hate you if you take him on Celebrity. Honestly chances are it won't be a fun vacation for him unless he likes hanging out with folks his grandparents age.

I have to agree w/ the above posters. I took my kids on a Celebrity cruise when they were younger/teenagers and they never let me live it down. They were bored silly b/c there were SO FEW kids their ages. Fast forward to their early 20's and by far it's their favorite line.

Maybe for younger kids, their youth programs are better, so I can't speak to that; but my teenagers were very unhappy w/ the teen program so just the 2 of them hung out together. The thing is they didn't hang out together at home (different ages and genders) so didn't particularly want to do that on a "fun" vacation.

I'd have to agree with posts below unless you were planning to go during a summer or spring break when there would be more teens his age. In the fall, that won't be the case and the demographic may not provide him with many others his age.

I've taken my nieces on a couple Celebrity cruises and they loved it. First was the Summit out of San Juan. The 22 year old loved the martini bar and we were out dancing all night long (of course I was with them as well). The 18 year old that year also had a blast and both have said they would go back on Celebrity in a heartbeat. They don't want all the hustle and bustle of some of the other lines. Maybe it's because both are college athletes and have super busy schedules normally so the more relaxed environment is what they loved. Also there is starting to be a slightly younger demographic going on Celebrity so we can find others closer to our/their age to hang out with.

This spring I took the younger one (now 20) and her cousin (almost 18) on the Silly and both still had a great time. Again found some of the younger crowd to hang out with and would go dancing almost every night.

If your nephew needs constant action and adventure then it might not be the ship for you. However is they like to relax and chill and don't have a problem starting conversations and enjoying all people of all ages then it might be OK. Also if leaving from Bayonne you'll be going to Bermuda (I'm assuming) and you're in port most of the time so much more to do off the ship.

When my kids were in high school they LOVED Celebrity! They have been on Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL and Carnival and Celebrity is by far their favorite. They are now in college and still love it.......BUT....we always traveled during Spring Break when there were some other kids. There never were a ton, but just enough for them to meet some teens and hang out with them. If you go in The fall there might not be any other teens and he might be bored. We sailed last September and there was one toddler on board and that was it! I would definitely recommend Celebrity during a school break, but not in the fall when everyone is in school. We are taking my daughter and her boyfriend on a Celebrity cruise next March as a surprise for their college graduation. Not sure how many younger people will be on, but they will be almost 22 so can at least do “adult” things 😉

I agree with the above post. While my husband and I prefer Celebrity, we took our college-age kids on a Royal Caribbean cruise. The Royal Caribbean ships tend to have a lot more to do for the young people, such as rock climbing, zip line, surfrider, just to name a few.

Totally agree, no one would hate summit , but larger rccl has lots more to do.

I have taken my kids on Celebrity up to adulthood and they he will have a wonderful time. There has been a long tradition on this board slamming Celebrity over the children's activities, most of which is done by people who never sailed Celebrity with children. This thread is not exception.

NOW TO ACTUALLY ANSWERING THE OPS QUESTION WHICH NOT ONE POSTER HAS DONE. I would think a non alcoholic drink package and the internet package would be best for a teenager. Dinner packages would also have to be probably be taken by you, we have always found the Main Dining Room fine for meals and maybe a nice Specialty restaurant as a celebration. Celebrity does have a a deal now where the third person in the room if that is relevant in your case is half price.

I have taken my kids on Celebrity up to adulthood and they he will have a wonderful time. There has been a long tradition on this board slamming Celebrity over the children's activities, most of which is done by people who never sailed Celebrity with children. This thread is not exception.

[/Quote]

I don't think "slamming" is accurate; however, cruise critic forum participants are not the only ones who don't think that celebrity is not one of the better choices for cruising with kids. I'd challenge anyone to find an article from a reputable, independent source/writer/site that includes any celebrity ship in a "best for families" discussion or list.

Even the staff here at cruise critic:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2

I don't think "slamming" is accurate; however, cruise critic forum participants are not the only ones who don't think that celebrity is not one of the better choices for cruising with kids. I'd challenge anyone to find an article from a reputable, independent source/writer/site that includes any celebrity ship in a "best for families" discussion or list.

Even the staff here at cruise critic:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2

You are absolutely right, that's why getting info from people who have actually cruised Celebrity with kids should be informative. I could go on about the evolution of threads about children over the years on this board. Slamming is the correct word, been hearing it for 20 plus years. I might also point out that those same articles, quoting those same independent sources still rave about Celebrity's food as if we were still in the Michel Roux era. I've followed them for years and basically disregard them because their reviews have not changed in 20 years. I definitely respect your opinion but it works both ways.

Might also add, that no where did the OP ask about taking the kids on Celebrity.

Might also add, that no where did the OP ask about taking the kids on Celebrity.

You know what? You're absolutely correct!!! Given that, "slamming" is appropriate. (But I absolutely still think there are much better choices for kids.)

But now that I've re-read the OP, I gotta add something. To select a cruise based on which one has the least confusing pricing isn't a very good technique. The best suggestion we ALL could have given him/her would be to find a good travel agent.

You know what? You're absolutely correct!!! Given that, "slamming" is appropriate. (But I absolutely still think there are much better choices for kids.)

But now that I've re-read the OP, I gotta add something. To select a cruise based on which one has the least confusing pricing isn't a very good technique. The best suggestion we ALL could have given him/her would be to find a good travel agent.

Very true as long as you can find a good one.

You are absolutely right, that's why getting info from people who have actually cruised Celebrity with kids should be informative. I could go on about the evolution of threads about children over the years on this board. Slamming is the correct word, been hearing it for 20 plus years. I might also point out that those same articles, quoting those same independent sources still rave about Celebrity's food as if we were still in the Michel Roux era. I've followed them for years and basically disregard them because their reviews have not changed in 20 years. I definitely respect your opinion but it works both ways.

Don,

Agree, most of the posters that reply on the various threads have never taken children on an X cruise. You will also notice that many of the posts recite that Royal is best because all young people want to do activities such as the flowrider, rock climbing wall etc., without actually asking what their children enjoy doing. Some kids prefer just mixing with others their own age, or enjoy spending time with their parents, or like the smaller crowd in the clubs etc. Not all children/teens are the same - just as all adults don’t like the same cruise line ;).

It's really a shame that the OP asked a question and all the replies except for one have been about Celebrity not being a good cruise line for children.

If the OP is still out there and wasn't scared off, it all depends on what you do with your vacation.

Beverage Package: Normal prices for a package range from $55-65/day roughly plus 18% gratuities. Sometimes they offer 20% specials. You have to decide how much alcohol you would normally drink in a day and if you drink beer, wine or mixed cocktails. They also have soda and non-alcoholic drink packages.

Internet: On our upcoming cruise, the internet package is $199 for the entire cruise. It also depends if you're they type of person that wants to stay connected while you're at sea. They also offer a lounge onboard where you can just logon and pay as you go. This works best if you want to send an email or look something up quick on the internet.

Dining: There is a main dining restaurant that is free of charge for meals. If you book Aqua Class there is the Blu dining room free of charge. If you book a suite there is Luminae restaurant free of charge. There is also a buffet that is free of charge for meals regardless of which category you book in. There is a cafe that serves free pastries etc. Free hamburgers and hotdogs by the pool too (atleast the last time I sailed Summit). There are optional specialty restaurants that have an additional cost if you choose to dine there. You won't go hungry either way.

You also didn't mention if perks were complimentary for your cruise. This is the step after you select your cabin. Sometimes Celebrity offers these packages included in your cruise fare. Sometimes, Celebrity also offers these packages as an add on pp perk price which is less than the full package price. You have to decide the added value if it's worth it or not.

Now, getting back to the children, teens and young adult debate. We have four children ranging from 15-28. At the time we started sailing Celebrity seven years ago, the age range was 8-21. They all say Celebrity is their favorite line and it's their first choice for a cruise. Like some others have said, sometimes I think these people must not sail with children OR they say this because they DON't want children onboard with them.

And, the Summit is our favorite ship. We have sailed her 4x and have an upcoming one next year. Do some research and make your own decision whether to sail Celebrity or not rather than have someone make it for you. If you do decide, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Best of luck.

Celebrity seems to be bundled with HAL when it comes to children. I think they are well on their way to change that misconception. From what I've seen, they do have a pretty good children's and young adult programs.