New Survey

richwmn

I just received another survey from HAL. It starts out thanking me for a recent booking, but mentions a booking made several months ago.

The first few questions concerned advertising, then some about various features such as America's Test Kitchen, BB King, Oprah ahd Lincoln Center. The last were the normal age, income, etc.

All questions are in the attached pdf

survey.pdf

Looking forward to getting ours - we have an upcoming cruise. Interesting so many questions were about whether Cruise Critic has an influence on cruising decisions. Shows an awareness of both HAL's strengths and weaknesses, as are often discussed here. Putting some data on perception - good first move, depending of course on who will choose to answer this survey.

Could this be the first step evaluating the" hip and trendy" superficial national branding decisions we have been witnessing of late? Or a chance to ensure HAL gets back to what it has always done best - great itineraries, great crew, low-key, and great value pricing ...... on their fusty but functional non-glitzy smaller ships.

Love ya, HAL. Old HAL.

I just received another survey from HAL. It starts out thanking me for a recent booking, but mentions a booking made several months ago.

The first few questions concerned advertising, then some about various features such as America's Test Kitchen, BB King, Oprah ahd Lincoln Center. The last were the normal age, income, etc.

All questions are in the attached pdf

Wish I'd gotten it so I could have answered:

Race: Human

We got this today and found it very frustrating to complete. The questions assume something like the B.B. Kings can be an attraction down to a neutral when deciding on a cruise. What they missed is that our last three cruises weren’t on HAL as the move away from musicians and dancing in the Ocean Bar along with the emphasis on the overly loud BB Kings was enough to send us elsewhere. The survey didn’t let us tell them that. But yes, we are again booked on HAL hence the arrival of the survey....we are giving it one more try.

I wonder if a lot of this was to help them focus their next ad campaign. Should they feature the music walk? Is ATK going to get people to book? IMO, HAL's strengths are the service, the interesting itineraries, and the small ships. It's difficult to showcase those strengths in ad. They need an ad that "pops" if they want to get people's attention.

We never receive surveys from HAL.

Does anyone ever respond to the annual income question?

I filled out the survey. At one point in my career I used to design surveys, so I am fairly critical of the designs. I did not think that this one was poor, but it certainly could have been alot better. It was fairly quick and easy to fill out, so I liked that, but IMO it did not drill down deep enough on the areas to really expose the pros and cons people have.

As to the income question, I have found that about 75% of the people will give you a response, if you make the ranges wide enough, which this one did. You always ask this question last in the survey, in case people get "turned off" by it (this is more of an issue in telephone surveys than in online ones).

I did not receive the survey so read OP's link with interest. FWIW, I never answer the income question and like surveys that have a Prefer Not To Answer option. Since this one said that the income question was optional, I guess it sort of did. I found the question about outside influences, like Cruise Critic, interesting. CC did influence my 2019 cruise as I didn't know such an itinerary was available until someone posted about it. Given the controversy here on CC about Oprah, I wonder if results of surveys such as this one, will make or break that business relationship.

I did not receive the survey so read OP's link with interest. FWIW, I never answer the income question and like surveys that have a Prefer Not To Answer option. Since this one said that the income question was optional, I guess it sort of did. I found the question about outside influences, like Cruise Critic, interesting. CC did influence my 2019 cruise as I didn't know such an itinerary was available until someone posted about it. Given the controversy here on CC about Oprah, I wonder if results of surveys such as this one, will make or break that business relationship.

The website says the O programs run "through December 2018." I know that was part of Oprah's "year of adventure" or some such thing, so the time frame may have been more hers than HAL's. But I wonder if contracts with O and some of the other partners are up for renewal and HAL wants to know which partnerships they should keep?

That looks like a further revision of a survey I received on 12-1-17. That focused on the partnerships and specifically How much of a role in booking each played, and feedback on each one.

I wanted to respond that so much of this partner-branding business is making HAL look like a teenager who doesn’t have a sense of themselves yet.

The CC question was on it too.

Thank you for booking your upcoming voyage with us. At Holland America Line, we are constantly collecting feedback from our guests in order to serve them better. As part of that effort, we kindly ask that you answer a few questions about how our brand-partnerships helped you in choosing Holland America Line. Please click the link below to participate in our brief survey.”

The Microsoft thing....I know people go but to me, that is the oddest partnership /cruise offering I’ve ever seen. I just can’t imagine why anyone would go. I’m sure others wonder why I would like trivia so I get the different things for different people.

Wish I'd gotten it so I could have answered:

I don't cruise with HAL anymore, so I didn't get one. If I had I could tell them why they lost my custom.

Race: Human

Ah, a like minded person. If only we could get others to think this way. Nationalism leads to wars. We all live on the same planet, let's act like we do.

Could be a grad student's research project looking for possible socio-economic and/or racial bias among groups of cruisers. In other words, it may not be looking for what it says it is looking for on the surface, but an analysis of who is saying what. I found it a very odd package of questions, that did not need further breakdown as to income or ethnicity. At least not on my dime.

... Interesting so many questions were about whether Cruise Critic has an influence on cruising decisions...

Huh? Unless I missed something, there were only 2 questions that specifically referred to "Cruise Critic", which IMO does not qualify as "so many questions" ...