Princess Shuttle Anchorage to Whittier

Alicomp

We will be in Anchorage for a couple of days before our cruise begins. We are taking the Princess shuttle to Whittier and have signed up to go from the Egan Conference Center in Anchorage. I am wondering if we would be better off going to the airport and getting the shuttle there. The reason is that we could probably get right on a shuttle, and leave earlier, rather than waiting until noon at the Conference Center. I heard that we should get there around 10:00 and the shuttles start at noon. Two questions: 1). For those of you who have stayed in Anchorage and taken the shuttle , either way, what was your experience? 2). For those of you who stayed in Anchorage and then went to the airport to get a shuttle, how did you do it? Which terminal did you go to? Did you have any trouble finding Princess? Thank you very much for your thoughts on this.

my one time using a princess transfer in alaska was awful. we arrived early morning and were met at the airport and brought to the convention centre for hours. finally a bus arrived and there was no organization as to boarding. it was chaos with the pushy people boarding and everyone angry. i'm afraid to try again. however, family has done it and it was all fine as they were shuttled from the airport to whittier almost right away.

we're boarding again in less than 3 weeks and i've arranged a private transfer from the airport as it was much more cost effective for 7 of us. i'd love to take the train though!

We flew into Anchorage the day before our cruise & went back to the airport the next morning to get the Princess transfer. As I recall, there was just a single terminal & we went to the baggage claim area & found the Princess rep. She gave us colored cards to indicate the bus we were to take. She took our luggage & we were able to roam and have some coffee. Easy process.

I can’t say for sure, but it does seem like the airport coaches depart a little earlier than downtown. If you decide to go from the airport, get dropped off at the first Arrivals door, walk in, and the Princess desk is right right there. Sign-ups are first come, first serve, so get there early as people will start arriving from flights very early in the morning. Each coach holds about 50 pax.

Alternatively, you can take the Alaska Railroad train from downtown that departs around 9:30, and be some of the first to be onboard at 12:15! The train ride is so scenic, and the seats are comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I stayed at the Cpt Cook Hotel and took the shuttle from there. I don't remember what time I caught it, but I think it was before noon. EM

we took a Princess transfer from the airport to the Captain Cook, and then the CC to Whittier..

Princess had to deliver a bag to the CC that didn't make it on our flight, but came later.

as I remember, the bus left after 10 or so which would have given my wife time to have gone to the nearby JCP to pick up what was in that bag - fleece and makeup...

I was in the bar, imagine that, when she got word the bag was at the desk...

yeah, I had another drink(s)...

• 7 months later...
On 5/5/2018 at 6:43 PM, casofilia said:

We used a private company and were picked up from our hotel, stopped at the wildlife park and then arrived in Whittier in plenty of time.

Do you recall the name of the company you used? My husband and I will be traveling with both sets of parents so I’m looking for the best option. Thank you.

Sorry no.  I also never kept anything about that cruise on my computer, or lost it when I had two computers die in quick succession.  It doesn't help that the cruise was in late 2013.

However I will look and see if I have any material I kept.

20 minutes ago, GREGS1GIRL said:

Do you recall the name of the company you used? My husband and I will be traveling with both sets of parents so I’m looking for the best option. Thank you.

There are just a couple of them.  Look them up in Google.

DON

We used Alaska Cruise Transfer last summer to go from Anchorage to Whittier including the Wildlife center. It was excellent. You can google it. Prices were less than Princess transfer. We were picked up from the Anchorage airport. We have been to Alaska multiple times and used this company both from Anchorage to Whittier on Southbound cruises and Whittier to Anchorage at the end of Northbound cruises.

This is one time we had a good transfer experience.  We arrived at the airport, waited for our bags to come out, got them, tagged them and handed them over to the Princess rep.  We boarded the bus and were off in 5 minutes.  The bus was no where near being full.  The bus driver was excellent.  He provided commentary during the trip, slowed down for pictures of the tons of eagles, drove a bit out of his way for glacier viewing and even stopped and let people off at one point for pictures.  Boarding the ship was quick and easy too. 

It may not work that easily each time, but for us, it was great.  I think when you arrive makes a big difference on your experience.  If you arrive later in the day, they seem to be anxious to get you off to the port and whisk you away.  If you arrive early, it can be chaotic and you may face longer wait times.

Could I recommend that you arrive in Anchorage 4-5 days before you start the cruise.  Take the train to Fairbanks and stay for a couple of days before flying back to Anchorage for a night or two there.  Then get an early coach and enjoy the transfer.

7 hours ago, casofilia said:

Could I recommend that you arrive in Anchorage 4-5 days before you start the cruise.  Take the train to Fairbanks and stay for a couple of days before flying back to Anchorage for a night or two there.  Then get an early coach and enjoy the transfer.

The train to Fairbanks is an all day adventure as the fastest the train ever went was 30 MPH due to the poor condition of the tracks.  Next time I rented a car in downtown Anchorage (cheaper than airport) drove it to Fairbanks and return.  The train ride to/from the ship to Anchorage is very nice and you can board either at the downtown terminal or the airport terminal.  The trip to the ship is through a one way tunnel with the train having the right of way.  

The train to Fairbanks is an all day adventure 

It was indeed and we enjoyed the meal we bought in the restaurant car.

When we checked into our hotel we were asked if we wanted to be woken if the Northern Lights appeared.  We did but they didn't!!

What got us was that when we went into the airport expecting to pay the luggage cost, as we have to do in the US/Canada, we were told we didn't have to within Alaska and that we could have 4 bags each!!!!!

Edited by casofilia