Elite perks eliminated???

ratso999

Recently read a review from the Caribbean Princess that we will be on in 2 weeks for our 41st Princess Cruise. That reviewer stated that the elite laundry service took 3 days and that they no longer had the special cocktail time (5-7 pm) for platinum, elite, and suite passengers.

We could survive (LOL) without the 5-7 cocktail time, but if it takes 3 tays versus the 2nd (next) day to get our laundry back, it will affect what we pack and bring

Thanks

On April 1 Caribbean Princess, our laundry took 1-2 days (we sent it twice in 10 days). First time it came back the next day, second time it was evening of the next day, so really 1 1/2 days.

There was a reception in the Sky? Skywalker? lounge--special prices on a few drinks, different munchies each day. There was a menu in the room telling us what the food would be each night.

Eliminated? No.

What was decided was to reverse the perks. Now, first timers get what were previously Elite perks and Elites get nothing. The idea is that first timers need to get hooked on cruising and Elite level passengers will continue to cruise with or without the perks. At least that is what I’ve heard. ;p

The laundry return time depends upon the number of elite passengers on board. There is still the PES lounge from 5 to 7. The last cruise we were on, second half of March on the Caribbean Princess, that was moved to Club Fusion as there were so very many Platinum and Elite passengers on board. Our laundry return time was a day and a half.

The number of Elites keeps rising, so it is taking longer to get everyone's laundry done. However it depends on the number of Elites on a sailing. In Alaska, where there are usually few Elites, they laundry service is quick.

As to the Platinum/Elite/Suite lounge, that is still available. It is the Happy Hour from 3 to 4 and 10 to 11 that have been dropped. There had been open to all.

The last cruise I did, laundry was taking about 2 days to return.

Also, be mindful, if you are in a suite, laundry is included (even if you are not Elite). You are permitted to check the express box- and will not be charged the additional money.

However, this is not true if you are Elite in a cabin lower than a full suite.

Care to provide a link to this review? Would like to see whether reviewer or reader is the one without their facts straight.

What has been eliminated is the BOGO happy hours, not the Platinum/Elite/Suite Lounge. Though the format has changed to a set menu of well drinks, not one daily special.

And as noted above, depending on how many Elites are onboard notice of a 72 hour turnaround time on laundry is increasingly common. Which has been reported for at least a couple years now. Though they do make an effort to beat it, standard policy is to underpromise.

I’ve experienced anywhere from 3-7 days for laundry to be returned over the last three years and 7-8 cruises. This is not new.

I was on the Emerald for 12 days, disembarking Wednesday. I received a note at the beginning of the cruise to not expect laundry be returned for 72 hours. I sent laundry out three times and it was back 36-48 hours. Cut-off for sending out laundry was May 6 @ 9am. I got it back May 7th in the afternoon.

The Platinum/Elite Lounge is definitely still there. Prices have gone up and the included drinks changed.

56ddb8eefd8042412b70fc6c6d88aa5a.jpg

It's not so much as being eliminated as being watered down by the number of elites lately.

It's time for a new higher up class where it really means something. ;p

3 day free laundry is fine for me, and the drinks at the PES lounge really aren't anything like as good value or decent drinks as they were so we don't even go anymore.

We liked the Rob Roy and the Chairman of the Board and the Margarita.

As far as a Super Elite I would say at least 500 days, and even that might not be enough to reduce the numbers sufficiently.so maybe 750 days or 1000 days?

And no they couldn't grandfather existing members in or it would negate the whole effect.

The laundry has been slow on at least some cruise for the last 5 years. I remember when we were around Cape Horn on the Grand and we got the warning that laundry could be slow. That was January to March 2013.

I’ve experienced anywhere from 3-7 days for laundry to be returned over the last three years and 7-8 cruises. This is not new.

I was on the Emerald for 12 days, disembarking Wednesday. I received a note at the beginning of the cruise to not expect laundry be returned for 72 hours. I sent laundry out three times and it was back 36-48 hours. Cut-off for sending out laundry was May 6 @ 9am. I got it back May 7th in the afternoon.

The Platinum/Elite Lounge is definitely still there. Prices have gone up and the included drinks changed.

56ddb8eefd8042412b70fc6c6d88aa5a.jpg

We had the weirdest thing happen on our March 18 cruise on Caribbean Princess. Normally they deliver a menu such as shown above but we got one that just had the days on it. No menu. Nothing but the days. It was held in Club Fusion and they served the exact same stuff every night of the 14 day cruise. There was a lot of grumbling and complaining. I'm told that the cruise following ours (those who embarked on April 1) was back to normal. We were possibly the victim of one of the infamous Princess experiments to see how the idea went over with passengers. Having the same - less than impressive - spread each night was a terrible idea. Of course it did cut down on the number of people who partook of the "event". We ate there maybe 3 times but many people (including us on many nights) stopped by, looked in, and left.

The laundry has been slow on at least some cruise for the last 5 years. I remember when we were around Cape Horn on the Grand and we got the warning that laundry could be slow. That was January to March 2013.

Now that is slow laundry

One of the keys to quicker laundry turnaround is to get the laundry there before 9:00am. On the 50th Anniversary Cruise on the Pacific with almost 70% elites, we would put our laundry out before 8:00am and the first thing out steward did was to take all of the laundry set out to the laundry to make the 9:00am cut off. We almost always got our laundry back by the next evening. We were in a suite on our 12 day Med cruise and had 1-2 day turnaround. For both cruises we had packed extra to allow for slow turnaround and half the closed were never needed.

We will be on a 28 day transpacific and that creates some packing issues. We will be in tropical weather for more than half of the cruise but will need warmer clothes in New Zealand and Australia. We are spending four days post cruise in Sydney and will need to time the last loads sent to the laundry to maximize our clean clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was held in Club Fusion and they served the exact same stuff every night of the 14 day cruise.
Ours was in Club Fusion as well. We went a couple of times and there was literally no one else there and we had to go to the bar to order drinks. The waitstaff was there but service was practically non-existent. We didn’t go back.

Ours was in Club Fusion as well. We went a couple of times and there was literally no one else there and we had to go to the bar to order drinks. The waitstaff was there but service was practically non-existent. We didn’t go back.

If that is the case it sounds like that perk will soon go the way of so many other things on Princess in the last 4 years. With the new drink menu and a cut back hors d'oeuvre selection on our Hawaiian cruise on the Star last November there was a very sparse attendance. Totally different experience than on past cruises. We went a couple of times but decided the PES happy hour was no longer a real perk that we would enjoy.

One of the keys to quicker laundry turnaround is to get the laundry there before 9:00am. On the 50th Anniversary Cruise on the Pacific with almost 70% elites, we would put our laundry out before 8:00am and the first thing out steward did was to take all of the laundry set out to the laundry to make the 9:00am cut off. We almost always got our laundry back by the next evening. We were in a suite on our 12 day Med cruise and had 1-2 day turnaround. For both cruises we had packed extra to allow for slow turnaround and half the closed were never needed.

We will be on a 28 day transpacific and that creates some packing issues. We will be in tropical weather for more than half of the cruise but will need warmer clothes in New Zealand and Australia. We are spending four days post cruise in Sydney and will need to time the last loads sent to the laundry to maximize our clean clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Re: laundry . Are you saying you put your laundry outside your door???