How many people carry on their own luggage?

My family is leaving for our first cruise on Monday and I'm becoming paranoid about my luggage. I'm seriously thinking about not checking my bags at the port and just taking them on the ship with us. I would only really have two luggage bag with wheels and then 3 carry bags. Would it be crazy to just carry them all on so I don't have to worry about them never making it to our room? How many people do this?

Thanks!

I always check my bag. If paranoid pack a few things in carry on. I hate having to carry my stuff all over the ship while waiting for my room to be ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have always carried mine on. Too paranoid about getting lost. Every cruise I have been on there has been a flyer circulated “have you seen this piece of luggage” so I’m assuming that at least one goes missing per cruise? (At least in my limited experience)

I have always purchased FTTF though, so I could get rid of the luggage quickly.

If I couldn’t score a FTTF pass, I would just show up later, after the cabins are opened.

Yes, it is a pain lugging all our luggage from the parking garage all the way onto the ship but for me it is peace of mind. I always wonder when walking down the hallways on embarkation day and seeing everyone’s luggage outside their rooms in the hallways, how more luggage isn’t stolen or “lost” than is reported.

It’s not a chance I care to take.

We have never checked luggage on a ship!

I haven't checked luggage on a plane in the last 10 years or so.

We are not the only ones doing this!! You will see lots of people carrying on (and off) their stuff. Just don't pack the kitchen sink!!

Yes, that is my fear as well. I do have FTTF so our room should be ready so I can just drop it off when we board. I just have read on more than one occasion about the letters being sent out looking for luggage. That would be just my luck! So for this first one I don't think I will leave it up to chance!

Whenever we have FTTF, we usually carry our bags on. We also did on our recent MSC Divina cruise and waited with our bags in a lounge for about an hour just sitting and talking, just so we could unpack asap. In this case it was pouring rain, but even so, the hours between cabin access and sailaway/dinner, whichever comes first, are hard to fill IMO if you don't have your clothes unpacked. So, I usually take that time to unpack and settle, then grab my bathing suit and a book before heading up. One cruise, I think it was my Splendor Eastern in 2015, I was told I was not allowed to bring my large suitcase onboard by myself in Miami, which came as a shock after doing it in New York a few months prior.

I've been told numerous times by port staff that my luggage won't get through the scanner. False. The scanners in all of the 6-8 different ports I've embarked through all take large suitcases (usually I just have a carryon, but my wife will have a large one).

Another perk besides the bags not getting lost is that you are able to unpack as soon as you get in the cabin. I've been on two recent cruises where another part of our group has not received a bag until after 8pm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We always roll our own luggage on, but we don't travel heavy. One spinner and a medium tote or smallish backpack is all I bring. The only time that the size of the suitcase matters is in the moment where you have to lift it onto the security belt ;) If you don't have priority boarding then just head to the port a little later so that you don't have much waiting to do before you can get into your cabin. Alternately, eat lunch on land and then find a quiet place to board and watch the sights as you wait. The only real pain with having luggage, in my experience, is if you want to eat. Even then it isn't horrible if you choose a quieter place to eat.

We stopped checking luggage after the last time we dragged our medium cases across Piazzale Roma and up and over a bridge to our hotel. Since then it's been a roll aboard each and a backpack each. Granted, that last cruise was a combo of four cruises, but we've determined we can do any length of cruise with the reduced luggage. So far the longest has been 21 days. EM

Depends on when I arrive to the port if it's gonna be several hours til I access my room I drop the bag to the porter and just wait til my luggage arrives as I don't want to be one of those people dragging luggage all over the boat waiting for my room

I hate to start a negative response but my vacation starts when I drop off the bags and get ready to get on board. My complaint is not dropping bags going on but those who choose carrying them off. Departing for me is stressful but having folks carrying their bags in the conga line with all the attached items they purchased. Which slows down the line is my complaint.

We have done it o short cruises.

It will vary by line, I won’t do it though on a line where my cabin won’t be ready when I board, I don’t want to lug it all around while waiting.

Always check our one rolling luggage piece. Haven't lost it yet. We attach the tag well with clear packing tape. All it takes is a lost tag to send a bag awry.

Also, consider, in Jacksonville terminal, there isn't much space to park luggage near you. If you arrive before boarding, you will be seated shoulder to shoulder in the rows to wait. Not much legroom, either. It's cozy. :(