Advice: Cruising with an 8 month & 2 year old

DenaDianne

Never done it myself but others have said bring EVERYTHING you'll need for your littles... extra diapers, rash cream, baby snacks... the shop onboard and most ports are very limited on what they can provide if you run out...

We normally travel in groups which frequently have small children cruising. Smart advice to bring any baby needs. About ten years ago when traveling with a large group, the first sea day at breakfast one of the young mothers said she and to go down to the shops and buy diapers for the baby....:eek: I explained there were none, luckily the next day was a stop in Key West and solved the problem.

It's very true to bring EVERYTHING you will need that is "baby specific"....Yeah, it takes up lots of room, but you will have plenty of free luggage space by the end of the cruise for souvenirs!!!

We are taking our children 1, 4, and 10 on a seven day. Ive peovably read every article on pintrest for tips when traveling with baby's and toddlers there is. I think one of the most clever things Ive read was to bring a small kiddy pool. My girls are all use to taking showers, but suggested to use as a makeshift bathtub. Also because the baby isnt toilet trained she wont be able to splash around with my other two. A kiddie pool however will still offer her a place to splash, and cool off.

Go with the flow and don’t set your expectations too high. We cruised with our then 8 month old and I set my expectations way too high and was bummed with the outcome. Pack any medicine and any diaper you may need.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are taking our children 1, 4, and 10 on a seven day. Ive peovably read every article on pintrest for tips when traveling with baby's and toddlers there is. I think one of the most clever things Ive read was to bring a small kiddy pool. My girls are all use to taking showers, but suggested to use as a makeshift bathtub. Also because the baby isnt toilet trained she wont be able to splash around with my other two. A kiddie pool however will still offer her a place to splash, and cool off.

I’m not sure but I think I remember reading that kiddie pools are not allowed. You might want to check on that before you go to the trouble to lug one along.

We cruised with our daughter when she was 6 months old. It was a way different experience from all our other cruises, since she could not go to kids club (other than night owls after 10pm, for which there is an hourly charge), go in the water park, and really do all that much.

We spent a lot of time just lounging on lido (in the shade) or in the comfy seats on promenade. We sat and listened to a lot of live music. Wife and I were able to read while the little one napped (either in her stroller or in a lounger with us). We did take advantage of the night owl program and drop her off two nights for a couple of hours so the wife and i could have a couple hours to just spend with each other.

Definitely bring a good, compact, travel umbrella stroller. Big chunky strollers take up lots of space. We have a Summer Infant 3D Light and it is seriously awesome; super compact yet surprisingly durable and only weighs about 10 lbs. Bring extra clothes for sure, and extra diapers (the ship doesn't sell them). But honestly, don't set expectations too high, go with the flow, and just enjoy your little one. In the end, it was a great cruise for us and we are so glad we went.

Our daughter just turned 2 and she is going on her second cruise in a week...8 day southern on Vista. It's going to be awesome!

I started cruising with my kids at 9 months. I’m not sure about an inflatable pool but we did have an inflatable tub shaped like a duck that we put on the floor of shower. Also if your baby hasn’t slept in a pack n play before start practicing now. And if they have any sound or light device they sleep with bring it better to be a pack mule then have a cranky baby. My kids are now 10 and 13 and devoted cruisers.

In 3 weeks, my 4 year old will do his 7th Cruise. His first was the day he turned 6 months. Funny enough, on this sailing on the Vista we will have our 6 month old for the first time as well (she turns 6 months the day of the sailing too, just like her brother did. LOL)

Cruising with kids is no big deal at all. It’s a great vacation with kids because you don’t have to spend time worrying about lodging and transport. You wake up and you and the kids have been “driven” to a new destination while you slept.

The best two pieces of advice have already been given but I will repeat them as I’ve sailed 7 times with an infant/toddler and can attest. The ships have NOTHING for babies but a pack and play. You will need to pack everything. Figure out the daily diapers/formula/baby wipe needs and add 20% and pack that much times the amount of sailing days.

Secondly, don’t expect to do every on board activity or shore excursion. If you don’t expect much, you won’t be disappointed.

Cruising with little ones is a great time and not that big of a deal. You’ll be fine.

Check out the Family Cruising section of these boards for more excellent suggestions. We're cruising the end of June with our almost 18 month old granddaughter, and we've learned much from posts located there.

I looked online and found some great lists. We cruised when our son was 18 months and then again when he was 26 months. We skipped the pack n play this time because it takes up to much room and we did bring our big clunky stroller. It was great on port days since we could store all our stuff. Our son also likes sleeping in the stroller

Hmmm...

Seems you are right, we will need to come up with something else.

I’m not sure but I think I remember reading that kiddie pools are not allowed. You might want to check on that before you go to the trouble to lug one along.

Best thing you can do is get a balcony cabin or suite...babies and toddlers need down and nap time or life can be miserable...they will be off their reg schedule to begin with...the balcony is a great place for one of you to hang out on while nap time is going on inside...doesnt feel like you are constantly stuck inside cabin...

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Forums mobile app

Best thing you can do is get a balcony cabin or suite...babies and toddlers need down and nap time or life can be miserable...they will be off their reg schedule to begin with...the balcony is a great place for one of you to hang out on while nap time is going on inside...doesnt feel like you are constantly stuck inside cabin...

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Forums mobile app

That’s definitely what we did, and it was a godsend having the balcony to go to for conversation once the baby was asleep.

We've been taking our kids on cruises since the older one (now almost 9) was 7 months old. One large suitcase with clothes, diapers, formula, wipes, bottle warmer, etc and a stroller were all we needed. We even had an interior room a few times! Granted, we drug along both sets of grandparents, which helped, but we've never had a "bad" cruise.

If, and when, they are old enough, make liberal use of the kids' camp. (Hint: make them go on the first day. Cliques form pretty quick.)

We've always enjoyed dinner in the MDR, and we always eat at least once in the steakhouse. Little ones just need something to distract them. Our younger one, now 7, still usually falls asleep if dinner runs late, but she could sleep through Armageddon.

Never took a kiddie pool. Never had a problem. Of course, we didn't put them in the Lido pool, but they were free to splash around in the ocean on port days.

If they are really little, take a pack-n-play. Even in interior rooms, there is enough room to open it and let them sleep or nap. We even took it to the beach in Mexico!

Cruise with babies and toddlers? Absolutely doable! And enjoyable!

take the kids with you.

I am the grand ma and i take the kids with me and leave the parents home. Our 12 year old has 7 cruises under her belt. she has been cruising since 18 months old

Best vacations.

Your kids need to be 2 by the date of sailing in order to participate in the camps Use it even if its for an hour at a time.

We took everything disposable. including bibs and sippy cups. Detergent for washing cups and bottles will be needed. Take all the diapers you need plus some. (when we sailed with an 18 month the ship had size 5 pampers $$

We tried the chilled soups at dinner-- let her eat that with a straw.

after dinner we took her to deck 5 and went outside. there is a deck out there that hardly any one goes out-- especially at dinner and we just let her run off some of that energy/ She isnt going anywhere. You can not just fall over board. We took her to shows, to the family comedy show-- she laughed her butt off-- had no idea why she was laughing but just followed along with the people.

take a umbrella type stroller. a double will not fit the halls when the steward is out with his cart. A single one will be easy to maneuver around

Taking a 9 month old on a cruise this summer. What did others do about eating dinner in the MDR? She goes to sleep at 7, so either thinking of going right at 5:45 or waiting until she falls asleep, transferring her to stroller, and going around 8? Thoughts?

Taking a 9 month old on a cruise this summer. What did others do about eating dinner in the MDR? She goes to sleep at 7, so either thinking of going right at 5:45 or waiting until she falls asleep, transferring her to stroller, and going around 8? Thoughts?
When we took our 1 year old last year, we went with the flow. We have a very lax schedule, but the mdr wasnt an issue for us. If he fell asleep before dinner we just took him in his stroller and pulled it up to the table just as we would a high chair. It is kind of loud, but it did not seem to bother him. Do not skip the mdr. The buffet is not near as good and the atmosphere of the main dining room is so worth it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Hi. We will be cruising on the Carnival Valor for a 4 day cruise to Cozumel in June. Any and all advice for packing and tips onboard with a baby and toddler would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
We could not imagine not having our kiddo with us. He was 1 when we went last year and it was an amazing experience. He went to shows with us, the MDR, the steakhouse, everywhere we were he went and we still had an amazing trip. He will be 2 years 6 months when we go this year, and I'm excited for him to get to go to camp ocean. Not because it will be easier on me, but I remember how much fun it was for me when I went on my first cruise as a kid. Packing: I way overpacked. I would say 3 outfits per day, diapers used at home per day * 2, stroller is a must,formula(if used, powder only, they will make you throw it away if it is liquid, I had to beg them to let my son keep his bottle of milk at embarkation) if you use whole milk, make sure to grab all you need off of the buffet in the mornings and put it in the cabin for later in the day(they do not mind, if they are out just ask someone at the buffet and they will gladly get more) make sure you take all the baby soap, sunscreen, oil,powder, and lotion you need because I did not see any on the ship last may. Try the MDR and do not be discouraged if your kids have a breakdown or 2, they are in a new environment with so many strangers pinching their cheeks, it will probably happen at least once, but no one even notices for the most part. Take some toys, because when you want to rest in the room, it can be boring for them. Also, this trip we are taking a DVD player and DVD'S, because the TV doesn't have much for the little ones.

If they like specific snacks, take them, my little one is very picky, so I will take him some little things to snack on.

Overall, take your kids and enjoy letting them experience something so amazing. Don't get flustered if it seems everything is falling apart, it will be okay! The valor was my kiddos first ship and the staff went above and beyond to make sure he was happy.

Also, if FTTF is not sold out, I would do that, just to keep them happy before you board the ship and to have a much smoother experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Hi. We will be cruising on the Carnival Valor for a 4 day cruise to Cozumel in June. Any and all advice for packing and tips onboard with a baby and toddler would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Not sure if either of them are drinking whole milk, but my 16 month old got very sick from the milk on board when we went. (our best guess). He had vomiting and diarrhea for the week and NO ONE else in our party of 7 got sick. I eventually figured it out and switched him to just food and water but it was a challenge at first and quite scary by day 4.

Otherwise we have cruised with young ones several times and enjoyed it immensely. We found sun hats to be hugely helpful. (Floppy little hats to protect from sun.) Also, blow up toys/rafts for the beach. Two small sand shovels and a bucket can mean hours of fun! Unfortunately some sort of electronic like an ipad or ipod for movies/cartoons when you need them to just sit still (cab ride, ship tender, getting ready for dinner, etc). This is a hugely debated topic (please random people do not answer and yell at me, I don't care if you think its inappropriate or about how a toddler should be able to sit still for 3 hours because you told them to without the use of electronics).

Lastly, always carry around snacks!! When in doubt-food!! Mini boxes of cheerios or fruit loops from the breakfast bar are awesome snacks to carry in a backpack (which we took everywhere for supplies). Have a great trip!!! Its the start of an amazing lifetime of memories. Our 9 and 11 year olds are almost Platinum and experienced cruisers!! Its the only way to live life to the fullest ;)