Burial at Sea - Thanks RC

My mom, brother and I were on Explorer last week and I wanted to give some kudos to Royal Caribbean for a job well done. My mom and dad went on about 40 cruises from 1984 until my dad's passing in 2013, well over 30 of them with Royal. We decided between the three of us about a year ago to take this cruise and that we wanted to spread some of dad's ashes along the way.

I contacted RC (thanks to some specific instructions in an old thread) and was told what I needed. Tuesday last week, I went to Guest Services and talked with them and they later came back letting me know that 11:00 Wednesday would be a good time.

We went to Guest Services at 10:50 and were led by the Guest Services Manager, an environmental officer and two security guys to Deck 2, into the crew area. Security was walking in front of us and were actually keeping some crew members in side hallways so we could walk freely. When we got to the back (the area where the tie lines come out of the aft), we were led to the little wing that we could all stand on and be out over the sea. They told us to spend as much time as we needed, and they stood back and let us be out there for about five minutes while we dropped the biodegradable urn into the water. The RC personnel were all very professional and respectful and wonderful to deal with. The two security officers were the ones actually letting people off the ship in Victoria the next day on Thursday, and recognized us and stopped the line quickly to give my mom hugs.

Anyway....I read enough on here about all the things that are horrible on cruise ships, so I just wanted to throw this out there that sometimes they do good :)

My mom, brother and I were on Explorer last week and I wanted to give some kudos to Royal Caribbean for a job well done. My mom and dad went on about 40 cruises from 1984 until my dad's passing in 2013, well over 30 of them with Royal. We decided between the three of us about a year ago to take this cruise and that we wanted to spread some of dad's ashes along the way.

I contacted RC (thanks to some specific instructions in an old thread) and was told what I needed. Tuesday last week, I went to Guest Services and talked with them and they later came back letting me know that 11:00 Wednesday would be a good time.

We went to Guest Services at 10:50 and were led by the Guest Services Manager, an environmental officer and two security guys to Deck 2, into the crew area. Security was walking in front of us and were actually keeping some crew members in side hallways so we could walk freely. When we got to the back (the area where the tie lines come out of the aft), we were led to the little wing that we could all stand on and be out over the sea. They told us to spend as much time as we needed, and they stood back and let us be out there for about five minutes while we dropped the biodegradable urn into the water. The RC personnel were all very professional and respectful and wonderful to deal with. The two security officers were the ones actually letting people off the ship in Victoria the next day on Thursday, and recognized us and stopped the line quickly to give my mom hugs.

Anyway....I read enough on here about all the things that are horrible on cruise ships, so I just wanted to throw this out there that sometimes they do good :)

Great story and a fitting end for your late Dad's ashes.

I wanted to disperse some of my Dad's ashes at Pearl Harbor (approx. a Teaspoon no urn) they would not let me do that. Unless you were present on Dec. 7th 1941 you cannot do it. My Dad was a submariner stationed at Pearl just after the attack. We had already done the ceremony in Arkansas, in a river he loved there. So I had just a minute amount left in my little bottle.

We were on Legend to Hawaii at the time, so one day as we neared the clock tower at the passenger pier, I just went to the back of the ship on the promenade deck and let them fly. Of course they blew down into the wake behind us, no one would've known it. I didn't want to have trouble with RCCL so I just felt like not making a big deal of it. Then I found out, it is quite common to disperse ashes in the water around Hawaii all the time. No requirements, just nothing permanent in the water. People empty just the ashes or do the dissolvable containers.

We already have some plans in mind for mine and when it comes time we will co-ordinate with RCCL. So sorry for your loss but glad it was such a lovely experience for your family.

What a beautiful tribute for your father, and nicely assisted by RCCL. Thank you for taking the time to share your story (especially when folks don't often take the time to report a good experience).

Melissa

Thank you sooo much for sharing your experience with us.

This is something my husband and I want to do, however, we want our ashes spewed together (which will be done by our children).

May I ask a highly personal question? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. Your dad passed in 2013, so you have had his ashes for quite some time now. Your mom and dad have been on over 40 cruises together. Did your mom not want her ashes to be spread with your dads?

Thank you sooo much for sharing your experience with us.

This is something my husband and I want to do, however, we want our ashes spewed together (which will be done by our children).

May I ask a highly personal question? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. Your dad passed in 2013, so you have had his ashes for quite some time now. Your mom and dad have been on over 40 cruises together. Did your mom not want her ashes to be spread with your dads?

Thank you all for the kind words :)

No worries on the question. This was just the last small portion of dad's ashes. Most are buried in the family plot, where my mom will be as well. Some are spread in a few places in Ireland when my mom, wife, and I went in 2015 (where my dad and VERY Irish mom went 6-7 times, and I've told mom I'll spread in the same places with her when the time comes, which makes her happy).

Thank you all for the kind words :)

No worries on the question. This was just the last small portion of dad's ashes. Most are buried in the family plot, where my mom will be as well. Some are spread in a few places in Ireland when my mom, wife, and I went in 2015 (where my dad and VERY Irish mom went 6-7 times, and I've told mom I'll spread in the same places with her when the time comes, which makes her happy).

How beautiful. Thank you so much.......

We had a burial at sea on Allure in 2013 for my husband's grandfather. He was an avid cruiser and requested in his will be wanted this. Royal was top notch and it was a great experience. We were a pretty big crowd, 15 or so, and each of us felt the same, that it couldn't have been nicer or better handled.