Maitre D's - how accomodating are they? Changing dining time

FarEastFan

I am so sorry that you have such a useless travel agent.

But you should at least get her to link their reservations, even if she is incapable of getting the dining time errors corrected.

If you had not used a TA, you could have linked their reservations for them yourself, or a Celebrity rep could have done it for them.

Once the reservations are linked, they should all end up with the same seating for dinner and can dine together

(even if it may not be at the seating they most want).

By all means, do convince them to go see the maitre d' when they first board the ship and explain their situation to him/her. Most of the ones we have met are very nice.

They usually can accommodate changes by the second or third night as openings occur, if they can't change them right away.

I hope you have printed out the deck plan of their ship for them (in a good sized, readable font), and have gone over it with them several times to familiarize them with the locations of the places they will frequently need, starting with their own cabins.

It can be helpful to show them online videos and photos of their ship in advance as well.

The layout of a large cruise ship can be overwhelming and intimidating for a first-time cruise passenger.

(For that matter, the same can be said for those of us who have been cruising for years, when encountering a new ship on a new cruise line for the first time.)

Celebrity ships often offer free orientation tours on the first day of the cruise, which you may want to encourage them to attend.

The time and place to meet should be listed in the first day's copy of Celebrity Today.

It should already be in their cabin waiting for them when they board the ship.

I really like GottaKnowWhen's suggestion to buy them a specialty restaurant dinner in advance, for at least the first night of the cruise.

The first night in the main dining room can be pretty chaotic, for anyone.

It may also be a good idea for them to join the roll call for their cruise (if they have not already done so)

and read through the previous posts there. They are likely to find some helpful experienced cruisers there who can support them with some "hand-holding" and answer their questions.

I hope that the incompetent TA is at least giving them some generous additional perks.

In the US, if you have an incompetent TA it is possible to contact Celebrity and have them take your booking away from the TA. Then you can deal directly with Celebrity yourself.

I don't know if that is also an option for UK passengers, but if it is, that may be one to consider,

- - unless your TA is providing them with enough in the way of additional perks to make it worth keeping her.

We wish your parents and their friends all the best. It would be even better if you could go along on the cruise with them.

Great idea to go over the deck plans, etc. I just spoke to a friend who took their first cruise on Harmony - they had a great time, but she said that the first 4-5 days they were overwhelmed, not knowing where to go, etc. and then finally felt relaxed by the 5th day (out of 7).

I hope the problem gets sorted.

We want late fixed dining but have been given Anytime as we only booked 3 months ago for our July Reflection cruise. I'm hoping my DD who is currently working on Reflection can make a kind request in the right ear on our behalf, but I'm not expecting her request to work.

Just one other thought that I don't think has been mentioned: Yesterday I emailed CelebrityOneTouch@celebrity.com about something and they contacted me within hours to go over my questions (called, but maybe being in the UK they will email). They may just give you the same advice about seeing the Maitre D', but it wouldn't hurt to try them. Good luck! I hope they have a wonderful first cruise!

We want late fixed dining but have been given Anytime as we only booked 3 months ago for our July Reflection cruise. I'm hoping my DD who is currently working on Reflection can make a kind request in the right ear on our behalf, but I'm not expecting her request to work.

We have always requested late fixed dining. (Late because on port days I don't want to be thinking about watching the clock to get back to the ship on time to clean up for dinner. Fixed because it is a cruise and time to relax and not spend time worrying about schedules and making reservations.) The guy we talk to at Celebrity to make or change cruise bookings (Celebrity Vacation Planner I think he is called) has a notation in his file that we want late fixed time dining at a table for 6 or 2. No matter how early or late we book a cruise, the dining time is always waitlisted. And in the end we have always had what we originally requested. Late fixed is not usually very crowded so I would think that your chances are quite good.

Stan

If it is within their ability to do so, they will make the change. As previously pointed out, these things are capacity controlled. Only so many can be accommodated in anytime dining. They are not in the business of denying people their preferences, but it would be impossible to ensure everyone gets exactly what they want.

Don't stress. Can pretty much guarantee you'll get your wish. We always book late traditional and it is never crowded. Lots of empty tables.

Don't stress. Can pretty much guarantee you'll get your wish. We always book late traditional and it is never crowded. Lots of empty tables.

People really need to read the entire thread.

They don't want late dining that is part of the problem they are encountering.

From the original post

""I am so upset for my parents:(:(. Neither of them want to eat at 8.30pm - it's simply too late for them. Other than that they face eating apart from their friends. How likely is it that the Maitre D can change this when they get on board?""

Here is what I did and it worked on the Equinox April 23/2018 cruise. We were listed as early dining (Concierge Cabin and Elite if it matters). I went on to the Celebrity website and "booked" select dining for 6:45 pm for all nights of the cruise. You go to the specialty dining site and at the bottom was a pick for select dining. You have to do each one separate. The cost is $0.00 but it goes through the motions like a paid order except no credit card involved. Then checked and printed the"calendar" showing my pre-purchased shore excursions and the Select dining purchased dining dates. I printed it out and took it to the Maitre 'D on first evening at 6pn early dining time instead of 6:45pm. They checked the computer and looked quizzical since I presume they saw both arrangements on their screen. Bottom line they honored the booked Select dining reservations for all the rest of the 11 nights

I think that one post was in response to a different poster who DID want late dining.

Here is what I did and it worked on the Equinox April 23/2018 cruise. We were listed as early dining (Concierge Cabin and Elite if it matters). I went on to the Celebrity website and "booked" select dining for 6:45 pm for all nights of the cruise. You go to the specialty dining site and at the bottom was a pick for select dining. You have to do each one separate. The cost is $0.00 but it goes through the motions like a paid order except no credit card involved. Then checked and printed the"calendar" showing my pre-purchased shore excursions and the Select dining purchased dining dates. I printed it out and took it to the Maitre 'D on first evening at 6pn early dining time instead of 6:45pm. They checked the computer and looked quizzical since I presume they saw both arrangements on their screen. Bottom line they honored the booked Select dining reservations for all the rest of the 11 nights

Thereby denying someone who was already booked in Select the ability to make reservations for that time?

They need to end the reservations altogether and it would work better.

Edited by bEwAbG

I booked this for them 12 months ago, so I doubt at the time of booking Select was fully booked - it's definitely a TA mistake.:(

At the very least, the TA should have notified you of the two different dining arrangements at the time, and then you should have been put on a waitlist for all parties to be in Select if she couldn't correct it immediately. However, dining times being fully booked over a year in advance is actually quite common on Celebrity, and which dining times fill up varies based on itinerary and cruise demographics.

Consider that everyone who books a sailing reservation has to make a dining request at the same time, so people make one whether or not they're going to end up using it, e.g., those with specialty dining packages who intend to eat many meals elsewhere will still have an assigned spot in the main dining room. People's plans will change, and that should open up availability. But, there will be many others also trying to make changes at the same time, which is why people on here generally say it's best to 1) head to the restaurant as soon as you arrive on the ship to make the request and 2) not expect any change for the first night. Then, of course, there are cruises where one seating choice really will be too full and fewer changes can be accommodated.

I think you're right to not use this TA in the future, though!

We are assigned to BLU but prefer the MDR for the first night for the great menu...Prime Rib.

We call the tel no for Select or go to the MDR when we board, and are able to get a very early time.,...like 5:45 for the first night, no issues and not crowded,... most guests like a later time or are still unpacking,,,

So if no luck with changing at first request, and no desire for Specialty Restaurant, they and other couple can try to book for a very early Select time on night #:1

BtW...tell your parents that a tip is not needed to accomplish any of this,,,

If you're seated at a table with others, that means they wait 20 minutes longer, too.

While most of the above advice is sound (I think pretending it's a medical issue if there isn't one is tacky & gross, to be polite), the fact of the matter is that not every person on the ship can eat in the same dining room at the same time, especially if the desired time is between 6:30 - 8pm.

Considering that it's a vacation, it's not the end of the world to shift all dining times to something different than what happens at home. Lord knows there's enough food available at all times that it is very simple to amend your eating schedule.

Anytime seems to be the most popular choice these days, so I think they'd have better luck switching to the early seating for the first night if getting everyone into Anytime is not an option.

We were seated at a table for 2 so nobody had to wait....and I never said anything about a medical issue so I don’t know why you are coming down on me about that!

From the original post

""I am so upset for my parents:(:(. Neither of them want to eat at 8.30pm - it's simply too late for them. Other than that they face eating apart from their friends. How likely is it that the Maitre D can change this when they get on board?""

Suggest you follow your own advice and read the entire thread. My response was to Esprits concerns not op's.

I am so sorry that you have such a useless travel agent.

But you should at least get her to link their reservations, even if she is incapable of getting the dining time errors corrected.

If you had not used a TA, you could have linked their reservations for them yourself, or a Celebrity rep could have done it for them.

Once the reservations are linked, they should all end up with the same seating for dinner and can dine together

(even if it may not be at the seating they most want).

By all means, do convince them to go see the maitre d' when they first board the ship and explain their situation to him/her. Most of the ones we have met are very nice.

They usually can accommodate changes by the second or third night as openings occur, if they can't change them right away.

I hope you have printed out the deck plan of their ship for them (in a good sized, readable font), and have gone over it with them several times to familiarize them with the locations of the places they will frequently need, starting with their own cabins.

It can be helpful to show them online videos and photos of their ship in advance as well.

The layout of a large cruise ship can be overwhelming and intimidating for a first-time cruise passenger.

(For that matter, the same can be said for those of us who have been cruising for years, when encountering a new ship on a new cruise line for the first time.)

Celebrity ships often offer free orientation tours on the first day of the cruise, which you may want to encourage them to attend.

The time and place to meet should be listed in the first day's copy of Celebrity Today.

It should already be in their cabin waiting for them when they board the ship.

I really like GottaKnowWhen's suggestion to buy them a specialty restaurant dinner in advance, for at least the first night of the cruise.

The first night in the main dining room can be pretty chaotic, for anyone.

It may also be a good idea for them to join the roll call for their cruise (if they have not already done so)

and read through the previous posts there. They are likely to find some helpful experienced cruisers there who can support them with some "hand-holding" and answer their questions.

I hope that the incompetent TA is at least giving them some generous additional perks.

In the US, if you have an incompetent TA it is possible to contact Celebrity and have them take your booking away from the TA. Then you can deal directly with Celebrity yourself.

I don't know if that is also an option for UK passengers, but if it is, that may be one to consider,

- - unless your TA is providing them with enough in the way of additional perks to make it worth keeping her.

We wish your parents and their friends all the best. It would be even better if you could go along on the cruise with them.

I feel so sorry for their next travel agent, and probably their next table mates, if any!

Thank you to all the people who took time to reply and offer advice. They boarded their flight today and I got the best news from Celebrity via a social media plea! They managed to get all 4 on Select!!:D

I am made up for them!! I’ve recieved a photo of them settled with a drink in hand and so now my work here is done :')

(Although they did get to their pre-cruise hotel who said they didn’t have a room for them :rolleyes:..but they’re sorted now)

Thank you to all the people who took time to reply and offer advice. They boarded their flight today and I got the best news from Celebrity via a social media plea! They managed to get all 4 on Select!!:D

I am made up for them!! I’ve recieved a photo of them settled with a drink in hand and so now my work here is done :')

(Although they did get to their pre-cruise hotel who said they didn’t have a room for them :rolleyes:..but they’re sorted now)

Congrats....

bon voyage for your parents & friends

The buffet is another dinner option for all - many people like it, me included.

On our last cruise (full disclosure: RCL), we had the same problem, and the buffet worked great. I was the "shepherd" for a group of seniors - several of who were not feeling well - and the late time was just too late. Other than a 3 meal specialty package and one night in the dining room, we took all of our meals in the buffet.

The managing (executive?) chef of the buffet noticed us after the second or third night, and made a point of coming over to introduce himself. If he saw one of them at a buffet station, he made a point of coming over to introduce them to the station chef / servers - and after that, they almost always had a volunteer from that station to carry their tray back to their station!

Not only was he a great guy, but he actually changed his layout & menu for one night to provide brisket at the carving station for the Jewish holiday. He even scored them an invite to a private Rosh Hoshana service and dinner that he was catering for another group!

Bottom line: don't count the buffet out, and if you end up eating there consider reaching out to the the buffet manager and explaining why you're there. You might be pleasantly surprised!

--bruce T.

On our Infinity cruise last fall, we were traveling with 2 other couples, however all reservations were made independently and not tied together. We misunderstood our travel partners plans (our fault, not X's) for going to Martini Bar, then show, then dinner. We signed up for late seating, while they signed up for anytime dining. The first night, of course, we no changes could be made so we went to our late seating. However, the second night we asked again. The Maitre D remembered us from the night before, checked his computer, and said "yes" he could accommodate as long as we understood we could not change our minds again (no problem there). The rest of the cruise was enjoyable as we could all dine together as intended. Was worth giving a chance and asking politely.

On our Infinity cruise last fall, we were traveling with 2 other couples, however all reservations were made independently and not tied together. We misunderstood our travel partners plans (our fault, not X's) for going to Martini Bar, then show, then dinner. We signed up for late seating, while they signed up for anytime dining. The first night, of course, we no changes could be made so we went to our late seating. However, the second night we asked again. The Maitre D remembered us from the night before, checked his computer, and said "yes" he could accommodate as long as we understood we could not change our minds again (no problem there). The rest of the cruise was enjoyable as we could all dine together as intended. Was worth giving a chance and asking politely.

d - You have always been polite IME, who could turn you down for anything??? ;p

bon voayge

Are trays now used again in the buffet?

No trays and will not be returning. The S class ships are not set up for them so not even possible. I can't recall if the running shelf for tray on M class are still there but I don't think so

We have just returned from an RCCL cruise, 8 of us with linked bookings , 4 on one table the other spread out two different tables, we did get it resolved by day 2, nobody turned up on the first to share the table, so we just asked to keep for the table for the 8 of us.

I don’t know if your experience will be the same but actually the dining room was half empty most nights, more and more people cannot be bothered to dress for dinner, so they seem to use the casual dining cafe.

Actually the one night I have had food from there on Celebrity it was almost better than dining room.

Tell them and you to try not to stress about it if they are flexible but firm the first night I’m sure you will get a good result.

I do hope they have a good cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums