Currency for tipping

Dollars. Euros would be OK as well, I would think. They could use this for small purchases when they have shore leave in Europe. But, since the currency of HAL ships is U. S. dollars, that might be the easiest for the crew to use.

The currency onboard is USD so that is likely preferred. However, if you are travelling in Europe, you could tip in Euros since the crew could use the Euros to make purchases there. I would suggest you use either, whichever is more convenient for you and/or less expensive to get (something us Canadians are well aware of is exchange rates and how much we lose in exchanging into either currency)

I hope it is ok to tip in coins. When we are in Europe next year I won't be getting US$ but will have some Euros.

Room service tips €1 & €2 are coins.

I would think that using coins would be acceptable for the crew because they could be used ashore, But, whether the on-board Crew Office would accept them to be credited to the crew members' account, I don't know. It might be a problem. (Really have no idea and have never read anywhere as to how the crews' finances are handled when they are on a ship.)

I tip with US dollars unless I'm on a cruise that's ending in Canada, in which case I will use up my Canadian currency as the tips.

We've also been known to do that. We've tipped in local currency a few times, when I knew the ship was staying there a while. I've seen crew coming back onboard in various ports after an obvious shopping trip. I'm pretty sure toiletries are cheaper in port than on the ship.

Contrary to what some people think, IMO US $2 bills are not a good idea. The crew have a harder time spending them and currency exchanges don't want them. Also, try to use newer bills rather than beat-up ones.

We no matter where we have cruise or will be cruising, we tip in US dollars.

A person here years ago talked about giving tips in $2 bills for tips -- as talked about above -- no one -- not even banks want those bills. And don't give $1 coins -- many businesses don't want them.

Paper dollars are a whole lot easier to carry than one and two euro coins, and I can't imagine having one or a few such coins on me at any time - certainly not enough to plan on using for regular tips.

This is true. However, there are countries that do not have paper currency in lower denominations. Europe countries who use the Euro and Canada being some of them.

This is true. However, there are countries that do not have paper currency in lower denominations. Europe countries who use the Euro and Canada being some of them.

Which is exactly why bringing US dollars for small tips makes the most sense. Carrying a bunch of loonies and euro coins for the purpose would require extra luggage.

Which is exactly why bringing US dollars for small tips makes the most sense. Carrying a bunch of loonies and euro coins for the purpose would require extra luggage.

Unless you are using what you received in change in different ports each day.

I really do not think it matters to the crew what currency you use for tips.

The only thing that matters to them is that you tip well and you tip often.

Exactly ... Nobody working on a cruise ship has ever refused money ;)

Yes, but for the Aussie who asked about coins above, it may be less expensive to change the AUD to Euro than to USD. (I don't track the AUD so don't know.) Therefore, it may be best for them to tip in Euro coin. I'm sure, that if they travel with Euros, they will mostly be paper bills that they will break down into smaller denominations for tipping at a later date. No need for extra luggage.

We often tip in the currency that we want to dispose of. In South America we tipped in Argentinian and Uruguayan currency. In Europe it can be anything-GBP, Euros, Kuna, whatever. We see no point in buying currency simply for tipping purposes.

But, since the currency of HAL ships is U. S. dollars, that might be the easiest for the crew to use.

The currency onboard is USD so that is likely preferred.
Usually one Euro is worth more than $1 US. Right now it is almost 18% more, so if they have to lose a few % converting them to $US someplace they're still better off with X Euro than X dollars.

h A L ships operate on U.S. dollars and whereever we were sailing, we tipped in U.S. $
And that's fine. But if I was a steward, I would prefer getting 10 Euro rather than $10 anywhere in the world, so maybe some of them do too! :)

And that's fine. But if I was a steward, I would prefer getting 10 Euro rather than $10 anywhere in the world, so maybe some of them do too! :)

Your last post and this one provides a new thought for me. Regarding cash gratuities for the crew, I've never considered that the current exchange rate for where we are sailing might provide a bit more of a benefit for the crew member if I used local/regional currency rather than USD.

I'm not going to buy foreign currency just to use for tipping purposes, but if I have some and don't intend to use it for more purchases, why not offer that if the crew member would benefit?

We were on a TA in April that ended in Dublin - I hate bringing foreign currency home, so I kept about 10 euros for us "just in case" the day we departed and the rest I used for extra tips along with some $'s.

I'm sure the crew didn't care as they were going to be in Europe all summer.

I only tip in foreign currency if the ship is remaining in the area so the crew will have a chance to use it locally. Otherwise I tip in US currency. I also tip at the end of the cruise, rather than a bit here and there, so the tips are almost always in larger amounts and can use the larger notes like $20s or $50s.