Free Promos are Not Free

Djptcp

The only reason some people come here to CC is to complain. It gives their life purpose, in their minds. We all know who they are.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

and they will argue that they are only giving honest advise to warn people of the problems. Honest comments are welcome, biased ones are a waste of their time, but they continue to respond. I agree with you and others, unless there is something horrible wrong cruising or any vacation for that matter is fun and rewarding for most.

I think the most annoying poster is the one that has a favorite line and thinks their duty is to go to other cruise line forums to push the line of their choice by blasting the one they are on.

I have a few lines I would probably never cruise again, but I do not go to those forums and blast away.

Isn't complaining about complainers the same thing as complaining which the complainers about complainers are complaining about?

Yes most of us know, the "Free" at sea offers are not free. Its a marketing gimmick that seems to be working fine. Its the gift the keeps giving to NCL. Either the cruise price goes up or the service fees added keep the profit margin high. Honestly, the only one that irks me is the "free" excursions. Nothing could be further from the truth. That one gets 5 Pinocchios IMHO. The "free" internet minutes are truly free though.

Isn't complaining about complainers the same thing as complaining which the complainers about complainers are complaining about?

Yes most of us know, the "Free" at sea offers are not free. Its a marketing gimmick that seems to be working fine. Its the gift the keeps giving to NCL. Either the cruise price goes up or the service fees added keep the profit margin high. Honestly, the only one that irks me is the "free" excursions. Nothing could be further from the truth. That one gets 5 Pinocchios IMHO. The "free" internet minutes are truly free though.

The last I looked it said “free excursion credits.”And on my Panama Canal cruise in April I doubled my excursion credit to $50 per person per port because it was a Distinctive Voyage.

I took three HOHO excursions and a boat ride in Cabo. All were $50 or less. My fifth excursion in Victoria was $129. I paid $79 which was total I spent. $79 for 5 excursions. Works for me just fine!

As former NCL cruisers DH and I were open to trying NCL again. When attempting to book a 5-day cruise out of Tampa I selected the Free Drinks promo. Imagine my surprise when the total cruise cost amount included a $178 service charge for the "Free Drinks." What is free about that? I chatted with a NCL rep and was told the service charge is the 20% gratuities for the free drinks! Free drinks should include the gratuities or it isn't really free. No thanks, we'll stick to Carnival and Holland America where there aren't service charges for "free" promos. By the way, their drink gratuities are 15%, not 20%.

I might be more sympathetic if you hadn’t lied so outrageously during the above post. There is no way the service charge for your free beverage package for a five day cruise could’ve been $178. I just booked a seven day cruise with free beverage package, dining package, Wi-Fi package, and tour discount package and the gratuities were only $124.60. It is a little aggravating to have to pay gratuities in advance for the package but realistically you would’ve needed to pay some gratuities to the poor bartenders and waiters anyway and this way you can feel less guilty for stiffing them during the cruise as I’m sure you intended to!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I might be more sympathetic if you hadn’t lied so outrageously during the above post. There is no way the service charge for your free beverage package for a five day cruise could’ve been $178.

$17.80 per day x 5 days x 2 people.

The person is using the total for 2 people.

$17.80 per day x 5 days x 2 people.

The person is using the total for 2 people.

you are right, but that is not how it sounded and she/he also mentioned NCLs service change and then mentioned the 15% gratuities carnival and HAL charge as if they were two separate things. It is true other lines do not have as high gratuity charge as NCL and I think NCL is a little over the top on this when it comes to the drink package. I think 20% for dining is acceptable but not for pouring a drink. Of course I will add, I am one of those who often give the bar tender an extra buck as well.

That being said, I do think Jane did bring up a couple of good points.

Okay, so I accidentally came upon this thread, but it's actually of interest to me. I'm not a big drinker on a cruise. I'll have a few glasses of wine a day (two or three), but that's it. On my upcoming cruise, which my uncle arranged as a "group", we got to choose two promos which he selected for us (although I think I can change it). One was daily service charges paid and the other, the unlimited beverage package. I've never gotten that before on any other cruise. So if I'm understanding correctly, on my final bill, I will incur a 20% gratuity? My mother doesn't drink alcohol at all. I'm thinking we should probably change to a different promo. Forgive my ignorance on the subject, I've just never considered an UBP because it never made financial sense to me, based on my personal daily alcohol consumption. I'm all about tipping, I just think paying/tipping by the glass might work out better for me?

Okay, so I accidentally came upon this thread, but it's actually of interest to me. I'm not a big drinker on a cruise. I'll have a few glasses of wine a day (two or three), but that's it. On my upcoming cruise, which my uncle arranged as a "group", we got to choose two promos which he selected for us (although I think I can change it). One was daily service charges paid and the other, the unlimited beverage package. I've never gotten that before on any other cruise. So if I'm understanding correctly, on my final bill, I will incur a 20% gratuity? My mother doesn't drink alcohol at all. I'm thinking we should probably change to a different promo. Forgive my ignorance on the subject, I've just never considered an UBP because it never made financial sense to me, based on my personal daily alcohol consumption. I'm all about tipping, I just think paying/tipping by the glass might work out better for me?
You should see the 20% gratuity on your cruise confirmation and would pay it when you make your final payment. The 20% is based on the cost of the package....$17.80 per day.

It really is a good question in your case, but let me show a few $ scenarios, which might help

First, and foremost, the 20% service charge is already on your invoice if the promo codes show UBP! With that said, you would only pay 20% extra IF you selected a beverage over $15.00. And that leads me to the next points. If your mom might enjoy mocktails and sodas, while you have 2-3 glasses of wine per day, the 20% gratuity (already billed to invoice when UBP is selected) covers your prepaid expense. BUT, there are some other points to ponder...

There are very few "Adult Beverages" and/or glasses of wine under $8.95. So, if you have 2 glasses of wine that are (let's say$12.95), and your mom has 3 Pepsi and a virgin Mudslide (or, some equivalent) daily, you will truly appreciate that your drinks were covered!

Most everybody finds that there is a wonderful sense of relief in not having to keep tabs of "how much I'm spending onboard!"

On our most recent cruise, I averaged 1 "DAILY DRINK SPECIAL" (changes daily) @ $8.95, and one or two other drinks (Usually more than $8.95, but sometimes it was just Pepsi or Ginger Ale). 2 drinks @ $8.95 exceeds the $17.80 per person per day for the UBP!

Other cruise lines also offer some form of free beverage package. MSC does for example AND they don't charge you gratuities on it at all. Now that's truly FREE.

On MSC you are charged 15% gratuity on every drink you order with your package. For the way we cruise, we’d pay more with MSC. Plus I’d rather pay it upfront than have a huge bill at the end of my cruise.

Well, that is for their Drinks on us package, if you want to pay $18 a day to upgrade to their better package then you don’t have to pay the service charge. 18 x 7, just around the same as NCL cost. Don’t believe all the hype.

I hear you. Our 'free' drink package for an 11- day Adriatic cruise was almost $400!! What nonsense. We also had a $406 charge on our VISA that was supposed to be hold back (common practice in hotels) but they processed it anyway. Now we have to wait weeks for the refund, meanwhile having to pay the charge or incur interest penalties. Cash grab, pure and simple. We'll avoid this cruise line in the future. NCL = shady business practices.

On MSC you are charged 15% gratuity on every drink you order with your package. For the way we cruise, we’d pay more with MSC. Plus I’d rather pay it upfront than have a huge bill at the end of my cruise.

If you purchase either classic or deluxe package you don’t pay ANY gratuities. That also includes those that book the YC or Aura experience.

Also, the prices of alcohol are much lower on MSC. You can get a draft beer for under $4. So a smaller percentage of a smaller number = an even smaller number.

Plus, with MSC you get the drinks on us deal with even the basic cruise fare. With NCL to get the UBP you’re paying hundreds of dollars more just so you get one of those perks.

There’s no comparison...

Again, you need to purchase, or at least upgrade the free package on MSC. In the end, the costs are strikingly similar. And you get 1 perk with a pretty low fare on NCL. Not going to argue, to each his own, but nothing is truly free on any lines, no matter how people try to make it seem so.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware that Carnival and Holland America had drink package perks as often and like NCL does. Folks have posted having to purchase drink packages on these lines, which increases the overall cost of the cruise.

I don't believe Holland America has their drink package as frequently as NCL. They normally include it in their Explore4 promotion. This is what is says on their website for the package:

Signature Beverage Package has a daily limit of 15 beverages, which includes all beverages priced at US$9.00 or lower. Guests must order beverages one at a time and must be 21 years or older for alcoholic beverages. Sharing is not permitted. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the package if misused and refuse service for any reason, including service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated guests.

Now, they do not charge a service fee of any kind. Their package is completely free. I had it on my last cruise last year to Alaska. The cost of the cruise did not go up either. I had the guy from HAL add it after I booked the cruise.

I don't believe Holland America has their drink package as frequently as NCL. They normally include it in their Explore4 promotion. This is what is says on their website for the package:

Signature Beverage Package has a daily limit of 15 beverages, which includes all beverages priced at US$9.00 or lower. Guests must order beverages one at a time and must be 21 years or older for alcoholic beverages. Sharing is not permitted. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the package if misused and refuse service for any reason, including service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated guests.

Now, they do not charge a service fee of any kind. Their package is completely free. I had it on my last cruise last year to Alaska. The cost of the cruise did not go up either. I had the guy from HAL add it after I booked the cruise.

Do $9 drinks include umbrella drinks?

Okay, so I accidentally came upon this thread, but it's actually of interest to me. I'm not a big drinker on a cruise. I'll have a few glasses of wine a day (two or three), but that's it. On my upcoming cruise, which my uncle arranged as a "group", we got to choose two promos which he selected for us (although I think I can change it). One was daily service charges paid and the other, the unlimited beverage package. I've never gotten that before on any other cruise. So if I'm understanding correctly, on my final bill, I will incur a 20% gratuity?

So, as others have said, you pay about $18 per day for the 20% gratuity, and it is in your bill (and must be paid) before you board the ship. So you won't see that $18 a day added to the on-board costs.

We are moderate drinkers so the $18 a day is too expensive for us. Others are either heavy drinkers or binge drinkers while on a cruise, and will drink more than the 2 or 3 drinks it takes to break even on the $18 per day cost.

You are in another unique situation, more like us after you hear this part. I have never liked NCL's regular wine selections by the glass, so we never order them, and usually when I do drink I have either scotch or a glass of wine with dinner.. I've heard complaining on here and also on board ship from wine drinkers that none of the selections available for the beverage plan were good for them. I think if you don't like the wine on board, and you aren't drinking either colas or alcohol at a rate of 3 to 5 a day it may be better to save the $18 a day and use the promo for something else that doesn't cost.

Most other lines do not try to play is bait and switch game like NCL. If it is free it is free, not overcharge for the package and the service fee. NCL package is about a third more than the other lines... both base fee and the service charge. Del Rio has to be the most money hungry CEO of all the cruise lines. He was bragging a few years ago about how for every extra dollar he could take the guest for he made 15 million dollars for NCL. I truly believe if he thought he could get away with it he would charge for tender service, life vest, and everything else he could think of to make added profit. Very clear his only goal is profit.

We just booked our first MSc cruise and discovered this so we upgraded to the next package which gives more choice and covers the gratuity

Bad info. MSC packages already include the gratuity built in.

Not the msc package being offered as part of current Caribbean promotions, it clearly states you will pay gratuities on each drink ordered under the package. That is why we upgraded it.

I hear you. Our 'free' drink package for an 11- day Adriatic cruise was almost $400!! What nonsense. We also had a $406 charge on our VISA that was supposed to be hold back (common practice in hotels) but they processed it anyway. Now we have to wait weeks for the refund, meanwhile having to pay the charge or incur interest penalties. Cash grab, pure and simple. We'll avoid this cruise line in the future. NCL = shady business practices.

welcome to Cruise Critic. :confused:

As former NCL cruisers DH and I were open to trying NCL again. When attempting to book a 5-day cruise out of Tampa I selected the Free Drinks promo. Imagine my surprise when the total cruise cost amount included a $178 service charge for the "Free Drinks." What is free about that? I chatted with a NCL rep and was told the service charge is the 20% gratuities for the free drinks! Free drinks should include the gratuities or it isn't really free. No thanks, we'll stick to Carnival and Holland America where there aren't service charges for "free" promos. By the way, their drink gratuities are 15%, not 20%.

Surprise, surprise. Guess what, the strippers you pay for a lap dance don't really love you and you are not their favorite either.