Free Promos are Not Free

Djptcp

As far as I can determine, the SailAway rate offers a very limited selection of generally poor cabin choices. This is what convinced me that the cruise line profits directly from the "Free at Sea" program.

Agree. If they weren’t making money off the FREE at sea perks, they wouldn’t offer them. And cabin choice is why I don’t do SailAway but if low price is your priority, it’s your best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are paying a higher DSC to sail on the all inclusive sun. Nothing wrong with throwing a few bucks to a bartender for exceptional service but I whole heartedly disagree that additional tipping should be expected, and not doing so definitely does not make one cheap.

LOL. What, an extra $6 a day? If you think that's a fair tip for an open bar and you drink 6+ drinks per day...yeah, you're cheap. Sorry buddy.

"Free" is all in the marketing, here are 4 cruises, I just picked a random weekend after the holiday season with 4 nice but not newest ships in the respective fleets. Priced for 2 guests

NCL Getaway 7 night western- $2912 including all taxes and service charges

Rccl Allure of the Seas 7 night western-$1992 including taxes + drink package $924 (20% gratuity included)=$2916

Carnival Magic 7 night western. $1809 including taxes + drink package $918 (15% gratuity included)= $2727

Celebrity Equinox 7 night eastern $3574 including free bev package perk and taxes included

Now the rccl and carnival bev packages are buying on the ship, $55 and $56.95 per day respectively plus gratuity.

(you can both online cheaper but we're going to keep it on the ship)

so

NCL- $2912 "Free package"

RCCL-$2916 a la carte

CCL-$2727 a la carte

CEL-$3574 "Free Perk"

So it basically comes down to nothing is free, choose a ship and sail date that is right for you at the price you want to pay.

Again I can bring up the Bliss and the Symphony and totally blow these prices up but I thought these 4 ships are pretty equal in age and or popularity among the respective cruise line.

Ding ding ding! Someone actually gets it! Not to mention, if you sail Allure and you buy package on sale, it's usually $45 a day. so knock $140 off the total price per person. Also, gratuity is 18%, not 20%. Small, difference, but if you're comparing apples to apples, it needs to be noted.

Bottom line...nothing is free. NCL might lead you to believe it is, but the price is just factored in somewhere else. Take the boat you like with the itinerary you like, and enjoy! :)

As far as I can determine, the SailAway rate offers a very limited selection of generally poor cabin choices. This is what convinced me that the cruise line profits directly from the "Free at Sea" program.

I did the SailAway rate on the Sun earlier this month. Was assigned a cabin, deck 9 (considered the best deck according to reviews) and it was a handicapped cabin, so we had one of the largest "non-suite" cabins on the ship. Less than $300pp. No "perks" but it was open bar for everyone on the ship. That was the only "perk" I needed.

But yeah, you could potentially get assigned a really crappy cabin. It just depends what your needs are and if you're willing to take "the risk." Personally, for a 3 night cruise, I don't really care what cabin I'm in. However 7+ night...that's a different story.

Ding ding ding! Someone actually gets it! Not to mention, if you sail Allure and you buy package on sale, it's usually $45 a day. so knock $140 off the total price per person. Also, gratuity is 18%, not 20%. Small, difference, but if you're comparing apples to apples, it needs to be noted.

Bottom line...nothing is free. NCL might lead you to believe it is, but the price is just factored in somewhere else. Take the boat you like with the itinerary you like, and enjoy! :)

Ya I understand about the online price, I used the on ship price just because the online price isn't concrete, it seems to change daily and is different for every sailing and pax. But yes, you can definitely save by buying online. It sounds like too you get more with the RCCL package, water and specialty coffees. Definitely tweaks from all the lines

Also Celebrity is premium but their prices usually aren't that much higher than the rest. For some reason, this sailing was just really high. The next week it drops to $3070 right inline with everybody else.

Ya I understand about the online price, I used the on ship price just because the online price isn't concrete, it seems to change daily and is different for every sailing and pax. But yes, you can definitely save by buying online. It sounds like too you get more with the RCCL package, water and specialty coffees. Definitely tweaks from all the lines

With RCCL, everything is about 30% cheaper when buying online beforehand. For example, I've been able to get unlimited high speed wi-fi for about $12.50/day when buying in advance. It's $19.99/day onboard.

And yes you are correct, bottled water, specialty coffee, fresh squeezed juices etc all included. No limit per day. Only exclusions are Starbucks and drinks over $13. In that case, you pay the overage.

From what I understand, RCCL has the most inclusive drink package. Carnival's is very similar, but it maxes out at 15 drinks per day. That sounds like a lot, but when you drink a lot of water like I do, in addition to alcohol, it's not that hard to rack up 15+ per day.

Agree. If they weren’t making money off the FREE at sea perks, they wouldn’t offer them. And cabin choice is why I don’t do SailAway but if low price is your priority, it’s your best option.

I think this is how many of us look at it, plus it is nice to know everything is pretty much covered before you even sail. Even if they are not making money on the Free at Sea they are getting repeat business, which is where the money is made in the long run anyway. It is time everyone understands nothing in life if it involved money is really free.

Also Celebrity is premium but their prices usually aren't that much higher than the rest. For some reason, this sailing was just really high. The next week it drops to $3070 right inline with everybody else.

not getting specialty coffee, though I don't drink it, does seem strange to me.I have always wondered why NCL doesn't include it. As for water, this entire water thing is a joke. Drink tap water for heavens sake. the only advantage to getting the water is having a bottle to carry it around in. We just bring out own bottle with us.

Now, as for Celebrity being upscale, you are right, but our experience has been they are not all that much different than the mass marketed lines, not worth the extra price in my opinion. HAL is.

We haven't sailed RCI for a few years so can't judge from personal experience. But our granddaughter and her husband just got back from their 2nd RCI cruise in the past year or so. They only sail RCI because of itinerary. They think RCI, in the long run does more nickel and diming than other lines and are not thrilled with the food or the food selection. Of course they rarely drink alcohol so drink package isn't of interest to them. Now, for the rest of the family the drink package is important but when I hear someone say, it is the most important thing to them or the drink package is what they are concerned with, I get a picture in my mind about that person. And I am very happy with the perks NCL offers.

LOL. What, an extra $6 a day? If you think that's a fair tip for an open bar and you drink 6+ drinks per day...yeah, you're cheap. Sorry buddy.

if tip is included in my fare, not tuipping estra.

i guess you have waiter's guilt

On my last Celebrity cruise(fall 2017), I was able to get the drink package for $28 pp/per day +18% on sale - for a 15 day cruise with 10 sea days.

I had to watch out for the sale, but it is not uncommon.

It pays to look at other lines. NCL is seldom the deal it appears to be.

I agree, choose based on the ship and itinerary.

When all things seem equal, do the math - it does not make you cheap to choose the best value.

Carnival's is very similar, but it maxes out at 15 drinks per day. That sounds like a lot, but when you drink a lot of water like I do, in addition to alcohol, it's not that hard to rack up 15+ per day.

Non-alcoholic drinks do not count toward the 15 drink limit on Carnival. You can have all the water, coffees, sodas, virgin drinks you want with the package. Only 15 alcoholic beverages though.

Not sure what “waiter’s guilt” is.

I’m just a decent humanbeing.

Give it a shot sometine.

A decent human doesn't force their values on me.

Don't try to shame others for having different beliefs than you.

Give it a shot on not trying to impose your will.

I (and probably others) will appreciate you more

Are you suggesting that on top of 20% of gratuities you pay you are suppose to tip a lot in cash?

The problem is that NCL is keeping the gratuities and giving it to stockholders. The bar staff gets little, if any of the service charge. Ask your bartenders on your next NCL cruise. The same thing is true for the cabin stewards.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

NCL doesn't pay dividends and its stock price is around where it was in 2015, so apparently it isn't rewarding stockholders either.

With RCCL, everything is about 30% cheaper when buying online beforehand. For example, I've been able to get unlimited high speed wi-fi for about $12.50/day when buying in advance. It's $19.99/day onboard.

And yes you are correct, bottled water, specialty coffee, fresh squeezed juices etc all included. No limit per day. Only exclusions are Starbucks and drinks over $13. In that case, you pay the overage.

From what I understand, RCCL has the most inclusive drink package. Carnival's is very similar, but it maxes out at 15 drinks per day. That sounds like a lot, but when you drink a lot of water like I do, in addition to alcohol, it's not that hard to rack up 15+ per day.

I think you will find the 15 limit is alcohic drinks, water etc doesn’t count.

Are you suggesting that on top of 20% of gratuities you pay you are suppose to tip a lot in cash?

I’m not the person you quoted but I definitely give a $1 per drink tip. You would be surprised how well that goes over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by U4icmusic The problem is that NCL is keeping the gratuities and giving it to stockholders. The bar staff gets little, if any of the service charge. Ask your bartenders on your next NCL cruise. The same thing is true for the cabin stewards.

NCL doesn't pay dividends and its stock price is around where it was in 2015, so apparently it isn't rewarding stockholders either.

It is NOT my problem if NCL does keep the gratuities. I've paid them. I am OFF the hook. My last NCL cruise was on the Sky ... all inclusive ship. I did pay my gratuities/dsc/whatever they call it, and did NOT tip the bartenders for my 5 glasses of wine on my 5 day cruise.

If I bought the drinks package and paid the tip on it .... again, I would NOT be paying another tip. This whole mentality is really getting out of control.

On the Sky, which they are referring to, there is no 20% gratuities. There is just the extra $6 a day in DSC. But on a sold out ship would equate to about $80,000 for the week. That seems generous enough for a gratuity if you ask me.

Originally posted by U4icmusic The problem is that NCL is keeping the gratuities and giving it to stockholders. The bar staff gets little, if any of the service charge. Ask your bartenders on your next NCL cruise. The same thing is true for the cabin stewards.

It is NOT my problem if NCL does keep the gratuities. I've paid them. I am OFF the hook. My last NCL cruise was on the Sky ... all inclusive ship. I did pay my gratuities/dsc/whatever they call it, and did NOT tip the bartenders for my 5 glasses of wine on my 5 day cruise.

If I bought the drinks package and paid the tip on it .... again, I would NOT be paying another tip. This whole mentality is really getting out of control.

do what you want. there is no reason to tip extra but some of us do. As for keeping the gratuities and giving to the stock holders. I am a stock holder, don't I wish this was the case. I will say one thing though, NCL has gone down the least of any mass marketed line this year. That being said, we still have not seem our stock up much in the past few years so don't believe everything you read. :rolleyes:

I’m not the person you quoted but I definitely give a $1 per drink tip. You would be surprised how well that goes over.

I agree it may speed up the process, I just don’t agree with calling (not by you) people cheap if they till little or nothing at all over mandatory gratuities.

In land based restaurants gratuities are not added automatically and 20% is considered a very good tip. NCL has decided to include them on top of already high priced package. Anything else on top should not be expected, unless person decides to do so.

On the Sky, which they are referring to, there is no 20% gratuities. There is just the extra $6 a day in DSC. But on a sold out ship would equate to about $80,000 for the week. That seems generous enough for a gratuity if you ask me.

Thank you. If 20% wasn’t included then it is a completely different story.

Tip cash if you want or choose not to. I always tip $1 cash per drink. When we were on the Escape in 2016 I walked up to the upper pool by around 1pm. I gave my usual $2 tip. The three bartenders standing togther said loudly for all those around to hear that this was the first cash tip they received all day to my surprise. They asked where I was from and I said Michigan. The three of them laughed and said the only tips they've received so far were from Michigan and Ohio like they were keeping track. I could tell that it made those sitting at the bar a bit uncomfortable, or should I say somewhat embarrased. It may not have been the most professional thing for the staff to say in front of the passengers but it told me a lot. They were very appreciative and it made me wonder how much the "house" really shares those prepaid gratuities/tips with the bar tenders.