Free Promos are Not Free

Djptcp

How so? Were by numbers inaccurate? I'm pretty sure NCL charges 20% @ a value of $89/day.

No?

But why would they charge the 20% gratuities at the daily rate of their competitors? I think that's what he's saying. That wouldn't make sense to do that.

But why would they charge the 20% gratuities at the daily rate of their competitors? I think that's what he's saying. That wouldn't make sense to do that.

It was just an observation that NCL somehow has valued their drink package as worth twice that of the competitors, even though it is less inclusive.

There is a new thread on this every week. Yes the "FREE" offers are marketing gimmicks. You do not have to take them though. Or you can take the ones that are closer to free like the 250 internet minutes. I give that one some merit and truth. The drink package makes you pay gratuities so you must drink at least 10 or more drinks. It includes soda too. That is a grey area IMHO. The "free" excursions offer is the most misleading IMHO. They should say "discounted" excursions. You get a $50 per cabin (not person) discount per port.

These "free" offers have been around for so long NCL must really be making lots of money on them. I am keeping all my "free" offers for now. If a new promo that comes along that is better, I may think about switching. I have thought about not taking the drink package and getting the credit back. I may make out on the deal so we will see about that one.

From a marketing standpoint these "Free" offers are gold.

How so? Were by numbers inaccurate? I'm pretty sure NCL charges 20% @ a value of $89/day.

No?

No, you are right that NCL charges 20% on the $89/day for the drink package. You pay that 20% whether you pay for the drink package directly, or receive it as one of the Free at Sea perks. If you are right in claiming that Carnival charges $55/day for their drink package (I don't know that to be true, since I haven't researched it myself) and only charging 18% gratuity, then you would pay roughly $65/day for drinks on a Carnival cruise. If you chose the drink package as one of your Free at Sea perks on NCL, you pay $17.80/day. Up to you what you consider to be the better deal. The good news is, NO cruise line requires you to choose/purchase a drink package to my knowledge. So it's up to you to evaluate and make your own choices.

It is easy.

We took this package which has 20% on top, because 250 dollars for two of us for 7 days cruise is cheap and cheaper than even discounted price on other lines. And what we will drink will amount to much more if bought separately.

If we drunk less than this amount we won't buy it. :) So it is free + gratuities.

No?

Its based on $80/day @ 20%. I just paid $112 “Bev Svc Charge” on a 7 day UBP. The 3 dining meal was much cheaper.

ceb11c0a844a6ac030d03cb2c3da1594.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Its based on $80/day @ 20%. I just paid $112 “Bev Svc Charge” on a 7 day UBP. The 3 dining meal was much cheaper.

Maybe you got some kind of a promotion on top of the promotion? LOL. I searched out of curiosity, and it is indeed $89:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

Oddly, the 20% is charged at $89/day for the drink package. Packages on other lines (that are superior and include bottled water and specialty coffees) cost $45 - $55 day. So in other words, NCL claims their package is worth DOUBLE, yet they offer less. Hmmm. Interesting math.

If the "free drinks" wasn't simply a money grab, the 20% would be charged at a rate comparable to the competition, which would be $45-$55. Not $89.

Just an observation.

Why don't all cruise lines charge the same rate for everything? I have priced other lines, and when I buy their drink package and it almost always comes out being a better rate on NCL. The math is easy, nothing is a grab.

Just my observation. I've fed the trolls enough on this thread...y'all carry on.

And in other news, department stores like Macy's, Nordstrom, Lord and Taylor's sales are not real based on their ridiculous mark ups.

Bottom line- if you like Carnival, go Carnival, if you like NCL, go with NCL. I think most of us look at the overall value and enjoyment of our vacations.

Like others have stated, go with a different "free at sea" promo if the gratuities bother you:rolleyes:

See the promos advertised as "FREE" and correct or not, some will assume it is really free!

Even in land based restaurants, alcohol tipping is a separate charge and charged at a higher percentage than for food. If you only order a few drinks, do not get the "free" drinks promo. It is more cost effective to pay just for what you actually drink. The gratituties on all the "free" promos really add up!

MARAPRINCE

Glad I'm a Brit...a Free promo here means Free...no grats or taxes can be added on, so it is actually free & well worthwhile. Always book a cruise when theres a promo on, only time we didnt was on a Transatlantic on X Eclipse and the drinks package on board cost more than the actual cruise.

Edited by firstcarib
typo

Glad I'm a Brit...a Free promo here means Free...no grats or taxes can be added on, so it is actually free & well worthwhile. Always book a cruise when theres a promo on, only time we didnt was on a Transatlantic on X Eclipse and the drinks package on board cost more than the actual cruise.

But, how do your fares compare to what someone in the U.S. would pay for a similar booking? They'll get you one way or another. ;)

Glad I'm a Brit...a Free promo here means Free...no grats or taxes can be added on, so it is actually free & well worthwhile.

Actually, the higher prices that you pay cover what others are complaining about. With "Premium All Inclusive", you don't "see" the charges but you still pay them.

Do you pay VAT on cruise fares?

Do Carnival or HAL limit the number of drinks per day or hour? NCL doesn't
Not sure what Holland does, but Carnival and Princess have limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day.

Oddly, the 20% is charged at $89/day for the drink package. Packages on other lines (that are superior and include bottled water and specialty coffees) cost $45 - $55 day. So in other words, NCL claims their package is worth DOUBLE, yet they offer less. Hmmm. Interesting math.

If the "free drinks" wasn't simply a money grab, the 20% would be charged at a rate comparable to the competition, which would be $45-$55. Not $89.

Just an observation.

Depends on the person still. Carnival has a 15 alcoholic drink limit per 24 hours....6 am -6 am...NCL does not. If you mainly want the drink package for water and specialty coffees and non alcoholic drinks with the occasional glass of wine, mug of beer, or cocktail( or 15), then yes, Carnival is a better deal. If you like the freedom of truly unlimited alcohol based on your personal limit, then NCL is worth the higher price per day.

So, the Carnival package is not really worth double the NCL at a lower price, as alcohol is always more expensive than specialty coffees and water.

Secondly, if one is a big drinker and the other is not, Carnival makes both in a cabin buy the package and that is expensive if you are paying out of pocket. With the NCL promo, both get it at a reduced rate of 20% of $89 per day. As someone who is medically unable to drink enough to cover what the Carnival package would cost me, I happily pay the NCL gratuity on the promo package so my daughter may enjoy it.

Edited by Qwenya

I also don't understand why people don't "get this". If you don't want to pay the gratuities on a free drink package, don't. Cruise with the other lines where you'll pay $50+/day for the drink package. Personally, I am happy to pay the gratuities on the package to the hard working bar staff. I'm also happy to save the $500+ dollars I'd pay for the drinks and gratuities on another cruise line.
The problem is that NCL is keeping the gratuities and giving it to stockholders. The bar staff gets little, if any of the service charge. Ask your bartenders on your next NCL cruise. The same thing is true for the cabin stewards.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Do you pay VAT on cruise fares?

Yes but the price advertised includes that, same as in stores the price on the item includes tax and is the price you pay.

Am I correct by calculating the drink promo for two weeks, two people at 20 percent would be 500.? My husband doesn't drink so I would have to drink a lot of drinks a day, even just myself to come up to 250. in tips?

The problem is that NCL is keeping the gratuities and giving it to stockholders. The bar staff gets little, if any of the service charge. Ask your bartenders on your next NCL cruise. The same thing is true for the cabin stewards.

My guess is though they make more cash tips. My daughter and I are getting plenty of cash tips to have on board. Since customers pay in advance the 20% gratuity with their booking, I am sure the majority do not mind tipping well as it feels as if you are getting something for a $2 or $3 tip.

I still don't understand how people are shocked by this. When you go to a restaurant with a gift card or a coupon for a free meal, do you not tip your waitstaff?

Tipping is not the same as paying a mandatory service charge.

Hence why NCL calls it a "service charge" and not "gratuities."