Power Strips? Yay or Nay?

SailorMarg

I've read conflicting information as to whether or not power strips, WITHOUT surge protectors, are being allowed on the ships. Some say they are allowed, others say they will be confiscated prior to boarding. I cannot find anything specific on HAL website. Can anyone direct me to the correct information? We are sailing this Saturday, June 30th, on the Eurodam. Thanks.

The 2018 Know Before You Go (KBYG.pdf) says:

Electrical Appliances: All staterooms are equipped with standard 110 AC and 220 AC outlets. Guests with pre- or post-cruise hotel packages may want to bring converters and/or adapters for their hotel stay. All staterooms are equipped with hair dryers. If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

Carole has given you good info.

To be honest, we've never needed one.

We travel with Ipad, cell phone at least 3 cameras.

The euopean plug is safe for our camera charges and I have even used it for my Ipad, so we just bring a euro adaptor and have 2 items plugged in at the same time.

Never been a problem, but we do co-ordinate ;)

There is also an outlet in the bathroom, near the light in the ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't remember the specs for the bathroom outlet, but if you turn off the bathroom light, power to the outlet is cut. I had brought a small, fairly dim nightlight a number of years ago, thinking to plug into that outlet, but as soon as I hit the lights for the bathroom it too went out.

You can also have you Travel Agent request a power strip and it will be in the room when you arrive. If that is missed just ask you cabin steward. Just one less thing you need to pack.

Thank you.

Electrical Appliances: All staterooms are equipped with standard 110 AC and 220 AC outlets. Guests with pre- or post-cruise hotel packages may want to bring converters and/or adapters for their hotel stay. All staterooms are equipped with hair dryers. If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

I can't remember the specs for the bathroom outlet, but if you turn off the bathroom light, power to the outlet is cut. I had brought a small, fairly dim nightlight a number of years ago, thinking to plug into that outlet, but as soon as I hit the lights for the bathroom it too went out.

Yes we only used it for charging our phones. We left the bathroom light on and then pulled the curtains that separate the bathroom from the rest of the room so we wouldn’t stumble in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do the same thing. An inexpensive mechanical (does not change the voltage) Euro to USA power adapter will add a usable outlet for most electronics. Bring a couple of them and you are all set. Less bulky than a power strip.

Target sells a 3-pack for US$7.99

https://www.target.com/p/travel-smart-continental-adapter-plug-set-3pk/-/A-16346730

igraf

The euopean plug is safe for our camera charges and I have even used it for my Ipad, so we just bring a euro adaptor and have 2 items plugged in at the same time.....

DH has a cpap machine, so we brought a simple, good quality extension cord, the 110v outlet on the Eurodam was at the desk, so it had to reach to bed. Worked great.

And I was told the plug at the light in bathroom is for shaver, so not lots of power.

I didn't know this was the policy, but then again we don't need additional outlets for electronic equipment. Definitely happy that some steps are being taken to control power hogs.

On our Rotterdam cruise in March 2018, we had a problem in our cabin for the first three days where the power would flicker or turn off completely for several minutes (seemed liked a breaker was constantly resetting itself) or the middle section of the cabin would lose power for an extended period.

We told guest services about it and mentioned it to our cabin steward.

On the third day we realized we had the electrical power problems when the cabin passengers next door would come back into their cabin after the steward had cleaned the room during the day or at night, move things around, and then would leave the cabin. Our power troubles would start shortly after that.

The third day, the steward was still in the area and I went out to tell him the power was off once again in our cabin and suspected that maybe too much power was being pulled next door.

He checked our cabin (we were the only one with the problem) and told us the cabin next door would be checked thoroughly that night.

Security and another crew member (electrician??) were searching that evening.

The steward told us the next day that multiple power strips had been found in one of the drawers and removed.

I don't know if the overuse was related to the fact that following the confiscation of the power strips, a new electrical cable was run from somewhere out in the lobby area, down the hall, and into the electrical box near our cabin and involved work in the cabin next door.

We have a Bekin power plug that we leave in for the entire cruise. It has two USB ports on the side for iPads, phones etc., and we have never had any problem. It works.

We do the same thing. An inexpensive mechanical (does not change the voltage) Euro to USA power adapter will add a usable outlet for most electronics. Bring a couple of them and you are all set. Less bulky than a power strip.

Target sells a 3-pack for US$7.99

https://www.target.com/p/travel-smart-continental-adapter-plug-set-3pk/-/A-16346730

igraf

I am obviously missing something here. How does it add a usable outlet? It gets plugged into the wall outlet, but there is only on outlet going into the adapter, that I can see, anyway, to plug in a device.

Power strips with surge protection do not function properly on ship's current. These can potentially overheat and cause a fire or cause issues with the ship power systems. Ship power systems are different from land based systems. Use the power strips that HAL has available on board= they are free (unless you take them home) :-)

If power strips are in baggage prior to boarding the baggage may end up in the "naughty room" with security.

Took the same nightlight for the bathroom for years. Power never cut when switch off. After dry dock on same ship prongs of night light will not fit.

We have a Bekin power plug that we leave in for the entire cruise. It has two USB ports on the side for iPads, phones etc., and we have never had any problem. It works.

That Belkin Mini power strip has surge protection and is dangerous to use onboard ships. The more time it is exposed to shipboard power systems, the more the semi-conductors in the surge protection circuit break down. Also, even a brand new Belkin, fresh from packaging, when plugged into the ship's wiring, can suddenly fail and start a fire due to a ground fault hundreds of feet away from your cabin, several decks up or down, and totally out of your control (even something as simple as a deck light cracking and filling with rain water). Please do not take the Belkin on your future cruises.

In our cabin on the Eurodam we discovered 3 outlets at the very back of the shelf next to the mini fridge. Nothing was plugged into them. Very strange placement but they all worked.

That Belkin Mini power strip has surge protection and is dangerous to use onboard ships. The more time it is exposed to shipboard power systems, the more the semi-conductors in the surge protection circuit break down. Also, even a brand new Belkin, fresh from packaging, when plugged into the ship's wiring, can suddenly fail and start a fire due to a ground fault hundreds of feet away from your cabin, several decks up or down, and totally out of your control (even something as simple as a deck light cracking and filling with rain water). Please do not take the Belkin on your future cruises.

Interesting. We have used the plug for years so that we can charge three things at one time. It does not have a surge protector. It is not a power strip. Amazon Basic also has a multiplug. We used the plug on HAL for at least 7 years and Celebrity longer. This is not a convertor. We have not sailed on one of the newest ships but it helps on the more mature ships.

Interesting. We have used the plug for years so that we can charge three things at one time. It does not have a surge protector. It is not a power strip. Amazon Basic also has a multiplug. We used the plug on HAL for at least 7 years and Celebrity longer. This is not a convertor. We have not sailed on one of the newest ships but it helps on the more mature ships.

I believed you were referring to the Belkin Mini:

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwidlLejqPHbAhWeusAKHXAJDm0YABAUGgJpbQ&sig=AOD64_3gbKwrJMIeWUkWseAPL2th9x4uow&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiJ27KjqPHbAhVIKKwKHYAnD2AQ9aACCDM&adurl=

if this is not the product you are using, it might not be surge protected, but I would be wary, as most Belkin products are surge protected (they do make a couple of items that aren't). I would not go by the advertising, especially on Amazon, as I have found a couple of products that claim to be non-surge protected and "cruise ship compliant", yet when you visit the manufacturer's website there is a specification for VPR (voltage protection rating) or "joules" of protection, which are specs for a surge protection circuit.

If what you mean by a "multi-plug" is a simple rubber or plastic device that plugs into the outlet and has 2 or 3 outlets like this:

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwitjsGMqvHbAhUMvsAKHXohDpgYABAEGgJpbQ&sig=AOD64_2T7kONfEv7nVI8k18BqAjlez5Y-g&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjEzLuMqvHbAhUkgK0KHQ_dBk4Q9aACCDM&adurl=

then, yes, that is fine.