Crossing the Artic Circle

gwilli

We have done it a few times on HAL and there was nothing special done at the time. The Daily Schedule will usually list the time and sometimes the Captain will make an announcement. I think we have also received a certificate (sent to the cabin) certifying the we crossed, but those probably went into our trash with the other nuisance stuff that appears every day :).

Hank

We have done it a few times on HAL and there was nothing special done at the time. The Daily Schedule will usually list the time and sometimes the Captain will make an announcement. I think we have also received a certificate (sent to the cabin) certifying the we crossed, but those probably went into our trash with the other nuisance stuff that appears every day :).

Hank

I'm a cornball, I guess.

I have all my certificates framed and hanging around my office, along with other framed fun things. I remember being so excited when I got one for my first transatlantic. I don't think they give those anymore. I don't have the arctic circle one yet, but that's coming soon.

Yes, Certificate signed by the captain is in each staterooms mailbox after crossing into the circle. Captain also announces the approximate time of entering the circle during his daily 'address to pax'.

We received a personalized certificate signed by the captain on the Koningsdam. It was actually pretty nice considering we weren’t expecting anything. And the captain diverted our course during the night so we could cross the circle. He told a cute story that he did it because he had never crossed the circle before and it was on his bucket list! We scanned it and included it as a photo in our photo book.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've crossed several times. In addition to the certificate, there has been a "Swim across the Arctic" activity in one of the ship's pools.

It is not necessarily held as you cross, and isn't even always while you are still north of the Arctic Circle, but it is always fun. It's usually held in the daytime, but on one cruise it was held, north of the circle, after second sitting dinner---on a ship with no covered pool.

Talk about getting cold!

Our first cruise was on the old QE2. We crossed into the Arctic Circle overnight and woke in the morning to find a blue line painted round the ships bow - this indicates that she has crossed the Arctic Circle. We also got a certificate, signed by the Captain, stating that we were 'bluenoses'. Can you imagine trying to paint a line around some of the behemoth ships overnight?!

When you cross the Arctic Circle, you become a “Bluenose” - much as one becomes a “Shellback” for crossing the equator.

The Order of the Blue Nose is bestowed on those who have crossed the Arctic Circle. Bluenose refers to Nova Scotians and to the celebrated racing schooner.

I assumed this was a tradition across all cruise lines, but I guess not.

On our Royal Caribbean cruise, we didn't get a certificate, but they did have a Blue Nose ceremony up on deck. Those that participate go a nice certificate. Essentially, it was like the I've bucket challenge from a few years ago. The captain could take a large ladle of ice water, dump it down the back of your shirt, and then a crew member would paint your nose with blue face paint.

We depart on the Koningsdam next week and will cross into the Arctic Circle, so I can report back then.

Both times we did the Voyage of the Vikings (VOV), they had this. 2006 and 2014. We did it the first time and after everyone got in the pool, the crew came out with huge trash buckets and dumped the contents in the pool with us......big blocks of ice! A friend just off the P'Dam said they did the same thing there and even the Captain went in the pool. Remember....the P'Dam's pool isn't covered....:eek: It sounds inconsistent between the ships....that's a shame because it IS an accomplishment!

AncientWanderer....I agree with you! Cornballs unite!!! LOL! Why not? It's fun to get that stuff.

Linda R.

....who hopes to get yet another Arctic Circle certificate on her 3rd VOV.

I've crossed several times. In addition to the certificate, there has been a "Swim across the Arctic" activity in one of the ship's pools.

It is not necessarily held as you cross, and isn't even always while you are still north of the Arctic Circle, but it is always fun. It's usually held in the daytime, but on one cruise it was held, north of the circle, after second sitting dinner---on a ship with no covered pool.

Talk about getting cold!

Add me to the cornball list. I have all my certificates along with diplomas and awards proudly hanging in "my room".

The only certificate I wish HAL would give out, that they don't, is a circumnavigation of the world. Usually called a Magellan award.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, Certificate signed by the captain is in each staterooms mailbox after crossing into the circle. Captain also announces the approximate time of entering the circle during his daily 'address to pax'.

I/we never got a certificate two years ago on the Rotterdam. Hope to get one next month on the same ship:)

Just returned from the Viking Passage on Rotterdam where we crossed the Arctic Circle. No polar bear plunge or blue nose ceremony, but the crossing time was announced by the Captain and we received personalized certificates. Thought it was a nice (and unexpected!) touch. We will hang them with our Antarctic Circle crossing certificates that we received over the holidays on Zaandam - a nice way to celebrate two special cruises.

Just returned from the Viking Passage on Rotterdam where we crossed the Arctic Circle. No polar bear plunge or blue nose ceremony, but the crossing time was announced by the Captain and we received personalized certificates. Thought it was a nice (and unexpected!) touch. We will hang them with our Antarctic Circle crossing certificates that we received over the holidays on Zaandam - a nice way to celebrate two special cruises.

I hope that you have plans to cross the equator and add another certificate to your collection! :)