HAL bread is not very interesting

SeaBands

They don't seem to change their bread choices during the entire cruise. We've sailed over 20X on HAL ships and the same selection on every cruise. Other lines offer a wider choice and vary every day. The bread is not very good.

Funny how people are different. There are certain rolls I look forward to every night, and I am disappointed the nights something else has been presented.

Same-I wonder,if you have a particularl favourite bread,if you can special request a bread basket just with that:cool:

I love HAL's breads and rolls, especially those small poppy seed and sesame seed rolls in the morning. I have them with some sliced meat and cheese. As Ruth said, funny how people are different.

Roz

Same-I wonder,if you have a particularl favourite bread,if you can special request a bread basket just with that:cool:

You can always ask; the worst that happens is they say "no". But more likely they will at least make an attempt to fulfill a reasonable request. I suspect smaller ships are more likely to go out of their way, but even on larger ships I have had simple standing requests filled.

I am particularly fond of the multigrain rolls, yum. My waiters bring me olive oil and minced garlic so I can fix a plate to dip Italian style. That first glass of wine always taste better with bread.

I never thought to ask. I love olive oil with balsamic vinegar.

I am particularly fond of the multigrain rolls, yum. My waiters bring me olive oil and minced garlic so I can fix a plate to dip Italian style. That first glass of wine always taste better with bread.

Just a FYI so one doesn't embarrass themselves in Italy: that's a big no in Italy. However as Olive Garden customers go to Italy, some places that serve the "Italian" food the tourists are used to will place the olive oil (and balsamic vinegar) or worse, butter, on the table.

Bread is only dipped in olive oil when tasting the new oil from the freshly pressed olive crop of the year.

The croissants on the last cruise were no longer big, light, and airy. It’s obvious they were previously frozen and baked into little rocks. I started looking for croissants in ports to bring back.

Just a FYI so one doesn't embarrass themselves in Italy: that's a big no in Italy. However as Olive Garden customers go to Italy, some places that serve the "Italian" food the tourists are used to will place the olive oil (and balsamic vinegar) or worse, butter, on the table.

Bread is only dipped in olive oil when tasting the new oil from the freshly pressed olive crop of the year.

That's interesting. We did a trip through Tuscany many years ago and every hill town where we stayed overnight offered wine along with a plate of olive oil, salt and pepper and a basket of bread at the beginning of dinner. It was the only place I had ever seen that and have enjoyed it at home that way ever since.

Wow - your complaint is a stretch for us. Plenty of variety we thought - what type did you miss?

We have been on about 20 cruises - low, medium and high end and on our first HAL cruise two weeks ago found the bread to be very good. Nice variety at night and if you found the rolls "chewy" they usually included slices of yummy Anadama bread. Only one night I found a type of roll that I didn't care for - too much cheese baked in it - but - it was my personal preference - it was a variety from other nights and I am positive if I asked for another type they would have brought it.

Lido for breakfast was a fast trip to the section of bread and rolls - they had the best raisin bread - more like a Challah bread with raisins. Soft and eggy - didn't even wait to toast it - just put butter on it and maybe some raspberry jam and total heaven. And I typically do NOT like raisin bread !

Can't comment on other breakfast breads because I didn't want to waste calories on anything but my fav raisin bread. The sticky buns were a little dry I thought - I did cave into a half of one ! And the Danish while not exceptional were exactly like what we had on Princess last year - maybe those are mass produced across the different lines. But unless I was on a 45 day cruise I don't think I would have been able to have the same bread twice unless I wanted to - now that is variety !

The breads have been great on my last few cruises.

Lots of variety and, because I can't eat certain ones, the waiters alway stick in one that I can.

I guess it depends on the ship, cruise, etc. That you are on, but our breads have been great on the last few cruises. The least of my worries ;)

That's interesting. We did a trip through Tuscany many years ago and every hill town where we stayed overnight offered wine along with a plate of olive oil, salt and pepper and a basket of bread at the beginning of dinner. It was the only place I had ever seen that and have enjoyed it at home that way ever since.

Perhaps it was some kind of temporary aberration. I've never experienced that in Tuscany. Now they do encourage you to put a little olio d'oliva on your Florentine beefsteak -- and THAT is delicious. ;)

Further references:

http://www.elizabethminchilli.com/2017/10/10-rules-eating-bread-italy/

http://tuscantraveler.com/2012/florence/italian-food-rule-dont-dip-bread-in-olive-oil-balsamic-vinegar/

Loved the slightly sweet cranberry rolls that were served on the Oosterdam on Gala nights. Sensational! Never saw them again, which is maybe not a bad thing as we ate way too many!

That said, it is a shame that HAL doesn't make real whole wheat rolls/bread. A bit of molasses and part whole wheat flour doesn't do it for us.

The hamburger buns for the Dive In are good and the raisin buns at breakfast are a huge winner for DH.

We have seen sacks and sacks of "bread mix" being loaded onto the ship in several ports, so HAL does "bake" some of their breads, just not quite from scratch

I have always enjoyed the bread baskets in MDR at dinner, on HAL ships

we have to ask our waiters for white bread or rolls. We hate any bread with seeds or other crap in them. It seems that they are adding more and more of the unedible stuff in their bread baskets.

What? No Wonder Bread? I understand that they are making a Wonder + Invisibles with 18 whole grains and designed not to taste like whole grain bread, so be careful that they don't sneak something healthy past your guard!