Overboard crew member found!

Good news!

The crew member was found!

Norwegian crew member who went overboard found alive 22 hours later by Carnaval shiphttps://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article214147969.html

Safe travels to all! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gotta be more to it....very few people can swim for 22 hours.

I thought the same thing. Must be the pessimist in me. And no it doesn’t really matter, but something is fishy here. But I’m very happy for this man and his family.

Gotta be more to it....very few people can swim for 22 hours.

Yes, I was wondering, too.

First thing, I suppose the water there is relatively warm this time of year? For someone who *can* swim, hypothermia is the killer.

If the seas are calm and the water warm, I suppose someone could float??

But it's hard to imagine for that length of time...

But bottom line, Thank Goodness the crew member was found. Amazing!

GC

Closer to 36 hours in the water ... overboard in early morning Saturday (overnight Friday/Saturday) and picked up Sunday afternoon. The article says 22 hours because it misstates the overboard time as 3pm Saturday.

I just debarked this sailing today and it was quite an experience to say the least.

Good news!

The crew member was found!

Norwegian crew member who went overboard found alive 22 hours later by Carnaval shiphttps://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article214147969.html

Safe travels to all! [emoji4]

Such good news; hope he is now ok and they can find out what made him do this.

or find out the entire story. Something just doesn't quite jell here.

I heard on our local news here in Miami that the crew member was brought aboard the Carnival Glory and was cleared in good health from the onboard medical facility.

The Glory will be in Cozumel today and the NCL crew member will debark there.

Perhaps he can make his way home and get things sorted out for himself.

Safe travels to all ! [emoji4]

Prayers answered, miracle delivered by the Glory - regardless of crew member's circumstances. Various news sources & accounts posted with conflicting timelines about when the incident happened vs. being reported to USCG, the SAR efforts ... leading up to the dramatic sighting by a fellow seaman on another passing cruise ship in the big ocean, just ... wow, OMG & whew !!

This is one of them -

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2018/07/01/missing-cruise-employee-found/

It's a story with a positive ending in that someone's husband and daddy is not gone, this housekeeping crew member's picture surfaced online with news/article written up, as if it is for his obituary.

The warm ocean's water temperature, calm sea & probably other favorable survival conditions all likely came in play - a vertical drop of 40' to 50' & maybe higher could've instantly rendered anyone unconscious ... hitting the water is like colliding with a solid steel barrier. Brotherhood of the sea, these seaman are looking out for & helping out each other (must've learned about the news to be looking out into the ocean) said one of my uncle who used to be among them ... a half century ago.

Prayers answered, miracle delivered by the Glory - regardless of crew member's circumstances. Various news sources & accounts posted with conflicting timelines about when the incident happened vs. being reported to USCG, the SAR efforts ... leading up to the dramatic sighting by a fellow seaman on another passing cruise ship in the big ocean, just ... wow, OMG & whew !!

This is one of them -

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2018/07/01/missing-cruise-employee-found/

It's a story with a positive ending in that someone's husband and daddy is not gone, this housekeeping crew member's picture surfaced online with news/article written up, as if it is for his obituary.

The warm ocean's water temperature, calm sea & probably other favorable survival conditions all likely came in play - a vertical drop of 40' to 50' & maybe higher could've instantly rendered anyone unconscious ... hitting the water is like colliding with a solid steel barrier. Brotherhood of the sea, these seaman are looking out for & helping out each other (must've learned about the news to be looking out into the ocean) said one of my uncle who used to be among them ... a half century ago.

A drop of 40, 50 or significantly higher should not be anything like hitting a solid barrier. A high dive platform is set at 33 feet. I have dived from this height (when I was young and dumb) and jumped from much greater heights. These heights in them selves are not that big of a deal.

I continue to wonder how long Getaways search lasted.

Here’s another news article from The Miami Herald; describing how the NCL crew member that went overboard had posted on his social media account 2 weeks prior an account of another individual that had gone overboard and survived.

He also made some other comments indicating he was dealing with some stressors.

Hopefully the opportunity he’s been given will allow him to work things out and live a long healthy life.

Safe travels to all! :)

Here’s a link to the article:

He posted on Facebook about a man going overboard. Weeks later, he plunged into the seahttps://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article214216769.html

Edited by cruisehabits

A drop of 40, 50 or significantly higher should not be anything like hitting a solid barrier. A high dive platform is set at 33 feet. I have dived from this height (when I was young and dumb) and jumped from much greater heights. These heights in them selves are not that big of a deal.

I continue to wonder how long Getaways search lasted.

It lasted until they were told the search was called off.