Can sex offenders take cruises to mexico?

I doubt that it's public knowledge in every country.

No, but if they are a citizen of another county, in the US, they were checked when they applied for their visa or arrived into the US.

Convicted sex offenders are not allowed within a certain distance of a school or church (where children will be); therefore I would assume they would not be allowed on a cruise ship.

Add public pool and hot tub to the prohibited list.

So much incorrect and misinformation in this thread that it is pretty much worthless. OP - there are one or two agencies that need to be contacted - the cruise line, and if the person is on probation or parole their probation or parole officer. Do not rely on any of the misinformation in this thread.

No, but if they are a citizen of another county, in the US, they were checked when they applied for their visa or arrived into the US.

I assume then that when someone apply for a visa they give US authorities the permission to share the information with a third part.

I assume then that when someone apply for a visa they give US authorities the permission to share the information with a third part.

More likely they would not issue the visa.

The real answer is to check with the closest Mexican Consulate. The MEXICAN government will be the ones to say whether the person can cruise into their waters or not. And whether or not they can get off the ship.

But yes, the cruise line also can deny boarding based on their rules.

US government is not really a player.

I doubt that it's public knowledge in every country.

It's not in Sweden, the cruise line can't get hold of your "belastningsregister" (criminal history report).

In my line of work I need to show a statment from the "belastningsregister" every six months. I have to contact the police department and have them send it, my employer can't do that.

nor would I be comfortable as a parent or grandparent of a potential victim, wondering if that nice person sitting next to that child in the theater or near the pool is safe.

How would you know anyway? Just because a person haven't been charged with a crim, doesn't mean that they haven't commited any.

It's not in Sweden, the cruise line can't get hold of your "belastningsregister" (criminal history report).

In my line of work I need to show a statment from the "belastningsregister" every six months. I have to contact the police department and have them send it, my employer can't do that.

The cruise line can get information if US authorities (when cruising from the US) forward information from ESTA/VISA application.

I thought that the information was public in Sweden. If not, how are the papers able to publish that information?

How would you know anyway? Just because a person haven't been charged with a crim, doesn't mean that they haven't commited any.

And this is exactly why when parents say (and other posters agree )...my child has free roam on the ship...or it's their vacation too...or ..my child makes new best friends on the ship...or my child always checks in with me when they get back to their cabin at 1am...or I can't watch my child 24/7.....

My response is that they are just so wrong.....simply because in essence they are setting their kid free in a small city of 6000 total strangers...from all corners of the globe....who you know absolutely nothing about....this includes crew as well as other pax

But whatever....me and mine see family trips as family memory making time...not as....let's all go our own ways and blindly thinking everyone on a ship is pure as the driven snow. Do not take that to mean we never interact with other pax...take that to mean we are sociable to a realistic point and that our teen and young adult kids do not need to make new best friends but rather they like to be together and wouldn't need to or bother with meeting new people as we are perfectly content with just our own family fun

But that's just me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My BIL spent a number of his policing years as a detective in sex crimes area. His advice is that you simply do not know.

He said that in his experience there is as much chance of sex abuse in a church environment (maybe even more) as there is in a school, a playground, a family gathering, or a visit to a professional practice office.

We were always very wary when we had our children on a cruise ship. This is not about suspicious looking folks in trenchcoats, it is the other normal looking and acting people that you need to be aware of.

Bottom line is sexual predators go where easy victims can be found. Than includes cruise ships.

The cruise line can get information if US authorities (when cruising from the US) forward information from ESTA/VISA application.

I thought that the information was public in Sweden. If not, how are the papers able to publish that information?

Well all sentences in Sweden are public, but then you have to request to get each sentence individually. "Belastningsregistret" isn't public.

Of course it was bait.

Who in their right minds admits their boyfriend is a registered sex offender

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The label "sex offender" covers a wide spectrum of offenses. A 17 yr. old in my neighborhood is on the registry because he got his 15 yr. old girlfriend pregnant and the girl's father insisted that charges be brought against him, even though the DA tried to get them to resolve things through family counseling and mediation. He can't attend college, can only do online courses, and can't find work to help support the baby. Brilliant solution :rolleyes: to a common situation.

Another young man is on the registry for public urination. Who knew the old lady down the street would be up at 3 am and report him?

I'm not excusing bad behavior, just pointing out that you have to know the whole story. I'm not afraid to be around either of these young men.

Roz