My Travel Agent has disappeared! What are my options?

rsail203

My TA Greg has had a full mailbox for almost two weeks and has not responded to e-mail. I've talked to Captain's Club and they couldn't contact him either. I could return the reservation back to Celebrity, but then I would lose the OBC that he offered me. I have several months before final payment is due. Has anyone else ever had this problem before? Any advice and suggestions are requested. This is my only reservation with a one person TA and all my other reservations are with larger agencies, where there are other agents to take over in a pinch. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rich

My TA Greg has had a full mailbox for almost two weeks and has not responded to e-mail. I've talked to Captain's Club and they couldn't contact him either. I could return the reservation back to Celebrity, but then I would lose the OBC that he offered me. I have several months before final payment is due. Has anyone else ever had this problem before? Any advice and suggestions are requested. This is my only reservation with a one person TA and all my other reservations are with larger agencies, where there are other agents to take over in a pinch. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rich

I've never had this problem, but I would contact other TAs and find out what they could do for you if you transferred or canceled your reservation. However, if the original agent is out of business, or a scam artist you might lose your deposit and might need to take action to recover it. Celebrity usually will not help unless they hold your reservation. The problem is between you and your Agent, not Celebrity.

I talked to my other TA and she said beyond the 60 days she can't take it over and I would have to give it back to Celebrity. I'm just wondering if there are any other solutions.

I believe when the OP says his one man TA has a full mail box, he is referring to the fact that the voice mail on the TA’s phone is full and it will not accept new messages. The TA is also not responding to emails.

I think I would call Celebrity again, share your story, tell Celebrity how much OBC the TA was offering, and see if they can match it. Even if Celebrity will not match the OBC I would be inclined to transfer the booking.

I assume you cannot cancel and rebook with another agency?

Good luck.

I see the OP confirmed the full voice mail. Other comment still applies. Run away from Greg as fast as you can.

I believe when the OP says his one man TA has a full mail box, he is referring to the fact that the voice mail on the TA’s phone is full and it will not accept new messages. The TA is also not responding to emails.

I think I would call Celebrity again, share your story, tell Celebrity how much OBC the TA was offering, and see if they can match it. Even if Celebrity will not match the OBC I would be inclined to transfer the booking.

I assume you cannot cancel and rebook with another agency?

Good luck.

Agree! I would also secure my booking and just ask about OBC. I know that Celebrity has been very helpful with other problems.

Rich

Exactly why do you think you will ever get a promised OBC if your TA is not responsive? Switch the reservation back to Celebrity and lock in your reservation.

Absolutely, get your reservation back to Celebrity. A whole boatload (sorry) of problems could develop left in the hands of a TA who is non-responsive. OBC is really no big deal, especially if it means losing your deposit, or worse, your entire cruise.

Exactly why do you think you will ever get a promised OBC if your TA is not responsive? Switch the reservation back to Celebrity and lock in your reservation.

Yes, this exactly. There is also no guarantee, if TA isn't responding, that he'll even make your final payment on time. I would transfer the reservation back to Celebrity.

Sounds like losing your OBC would be a small price to pay for the security of knowing you still have your cruise. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

I agree with RickT.....unless your TA has a brick & mortar shop where you can visit in person and talk to someone, I think I would go by the premise that he has gone out of business. I would call X and then tell them what happened and first confirm that you HAVE a reservation and then ask them to take it over. You can tell them what perks TA gave you and X may or may not give them to you depending on what they're offering. I hope this works out....this is the stuff that gives me nightmares.:mad:

Look closely at any emails your TA sent you, especailly the contract or reservation info for this cruise and see if there is an ‘underlying’ Travel Company. Many single/small TA’s are under an umbrella travel consortium (not sure that’s the right word) that they use See if there is one with this TA and if so, contact them soonest. If not, my recommendation is to contact Celebrity and see about moving over to them.

I ran into a situation years ago where the TA with a local office made our reservations for 3 SRs for a family Thanksgiving cruise. Didn’t get a SR for us because we were thinking of upgrading. Before the cruise, I hadn’t heard a word or got paperwork from her. She wasn’t in business anymore and just left. The company she worked through took over. Turned out the ship was full and we didn’t have a SR, so they moved us over to Celebrity Mercury only a few months after she started sailing - upgraded Line and more money that they absorbed. Fell in love with Celebrity and stuck with them as our primary Line.

Good luck.

Den

I booked this cruise onboard and Celebrity told me yesterday no action is required until final payment is due in October. I can survive the loss of OBC if that is the only problem. My TA confirmation states $550 OBC and free gratuities for a 14 day cruise. My Celebrity booking confirmation states $250 OBC (which I've used to book excursions) and under promotions applied states GO BIG WIFI (not mentioned on my TA's confirmation) and OB SALE 14to 15N. Does anyone know what OB SALE 14to 15N means? Is this gratuities?

If there are "several months" before final payment, what's the problem?

Is there a valid issue that requires his intervention? I couldn't tell.

For the poster who mentioned the CC processing....the OP booked the cruise while on another ship/cruise, so the ship processed the CC. The TA was not involved.

The

OB SALE 14to 15N is an on board credit that you got for booking a 14 night cruise while on another cruise. The Go Big WIFI is the perk chosen at the time you booked this cruise. It looks like the TA gave you additional on board credit and free gratuities.

My TA doesn’t disappear for two weeks (or even two days) without updating her voicemail greeting and setting the “out of office” notification (auto-response) on her email. That said, I can imagine scenarios in which a TA is unable to do this. He could be extremely ill, or worse. Or, as others have said, he could be out of business, or a scammer, though there’s nothing to suggest he’s scammed the OP.

OP, since you’ve already confirmed with Celebrity that you have a reservation for the sailing & the cabin you thought you’d booked, you can give Greg a few more days if you like. Beyond that, personally, I’d transfer the booking back to Celebrity. Further, I’d get Celebrity to explain the codes on their booking, because it sounds like you’ve got free WiFi from Celebrity. Is that what you chose? Good luck!

‘What’s the Problem’??????

I would assume the OP had questions for their TA since they’d sent emails and made calls that went responded to. And the point of using at TA does go beyond just getting OBC and making a payment through.

If my TA ‘disappeared’ I’d take care of it immediately.

OP - make sure you added your cruise to the Celebrity website using your reservation number. That way you do have more control over it, making tour, specialty restaurant reservations and filling out all your info, AND you know your reservation is valid. You have a Weird situation.

I use a local TA who does have an office, but a small setup, and she has done wonders on flight reservations and additions well beyond the basics of a cruise reservation, so fully understand using a TA and I really try to use local businesses. I find the online Travel sites are great making that initial reservation and lots of goodies (OBC) but getting more help is not ‘their thing’. My local TA goes well beyond the mark, and is worth not getting all the OBC’s of the onliners. Personal choice.

Den

I have had success in transferring a reservation from a non responsive agent to another when it was past the 60 day mark. Try reaching out to other TAs and see if they can assist you once you get the rez transferred back to X.

I have had success in transferring a reservation from a non responsive agent to another when it was past the 60 day mark. Try reaching out to other TAs and see if they can assist you once you get the rez transferred back to X.

This is what I would do. Even though final payment date is a bit away, I’d rather settle it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe he's on a cruise..... or in the hospital.... or dead

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Maybe the last two....on a cruise, they’d have automatic email responses (and could continue to respond even on a cruise with sketchy internet) and canned telephone messages. Being a TA is a customer service job that requires very quick responses. As I’d said earlier, I use a local TA not onlines. My TA responds almost immediately, even with a ‘got it and will work it’ type responses. Even in the late evenings when I send an email only expecting a response sometime the next day (or so). She responds. One time, she told me she was leading a group and it would take a few days to get back to me.....no problem at all because it was a general question.

Den

Edited by Denny01