Should Celebrity have a Royal Promenade?

Doug, I’ve tried to stay with some of your threads because some had good questions or ideas, but what is the point of this thread??? It’s like asking, why isn’t Celebrity a Trimaran hull?? This has no point or anything for any of us to consider, except to say why we like inside verandas Iwhatever the point of those are) or don’t.

Why doesn’t Celebrity have a nuclear power plant so its doesnt use all this gas/oil??? Why doesnt Celebrity tear out all out all the existing infrastructure and build a 50-deck tower in the center???? Why doesnt.......

Let’s stick with existing reality here. I think you have some good points, but I even hate posting because it just seems to encourage such, with all due, silliness. Please ask or work within realities of what each Cruise Line is setting as their approach. And you might consider waiting to actually cruise on Celebrity before coming up with suggested changes. It’s like you a baiting people who like cruising on this LIne and then you act as if you are so surprised at reactions.

Give the Line a try and see if it fits instead of thinking up what you liked somewhere and ‘suggesting’ it be added on this Line. I assume you are actually aware of what reaction you’ll get, so what is the point???

Den

Your post makes such logical sense. I looked, but couldn't find the LIKE button.:)

Doug, I’ve tried to stay with some of your threads because some had good questions or ideas, but what is the point of this thread??? It’s like asking, why isn’t Celebrity a Trimaran hull?? This has no point or anything for any of us to consider, except to say why we like inside verandas Iwhatever the point of those are) or don’t.

Why doesn’t Celebrity have a nuclear power plant so its doesnt use all this gas/oil??? Why doesnt Celebrity tear out all out all the existing infrastructure and build a 50-deck tower in the center???? Why doesnt.......

Let’s stick with existing reality here. I think you have some good points, but I even hate posting because it just seems to encourage such, with all due, silliness. Please ask or work within realities of what each Cruise Line is setting as their approach. And you might consider waiting to actually cruise on Celebrity before coming up with suggested changes. It’s like you a baiting people who like cruising on this LIne and then you act as if you are so surprised at reactions.

Give the Line a try and see if it fits instead of thinking up what you liked somewhere and ‘suggesting’ it be added on this Line. I assume you are actually aware of what reaction you’ll get, so what is the point???

Den

Thanks for your honest advice Den - you've been very helpful explaining things. I feel I've just liked some of the upgrades over Carnival that I experienced on Royal Caribbean and since they're owned by the same folks - I've been hopeful that some of that will carry over. When I get on board and get a feel for the atmosphere I'll have a better context and see a different picture. Cindy and I are planning to write a full review so folks can experience the cruise with us as we go. Maybe there's Celebrity features I will wish where on other lines.

I guess it is like wanting an Outback blooming union at Carrabba’s when it is different food chains owned by the same parent company..

Edited by Doug & Cindy Scrap Hunter

Thanks for your honest advice Den - you've been very helpful explaining things. I think I've just liked some of the upgrades over Carnival that I experienced on Royal Caribbean and since they're owned by the same folks - I've been hopeful that some of that will carry over. Maybe when I get on board and get a feel for the atmosphere I'll have a better context and see a different picture. Cindy and I are planning to write a full review so folks can experience the cruise with us for the first time.

If they wanted it to be exactly like Royal Caribbean they wouldn't have the need for a separate line, now would they?

I have not been on those huge ships with ice skating rinks and rock climbing walls and now this that I've never even heard of - an indoor MALL that you have the privilege of looking at 24/7? And the reason I've never been on one of those ships is that - I don't want to! I have no need for any of those things, and am perfectly happy with Celebrity just the way it is.

Reading all your posts, Doug, I agree that you ask some interesting questions, but based on what seems to be what you like and don't like in terms of food and just the cruises you have enjoyed, you are going to be very, very disappointed in Celebrity.

I believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If you like where you've been before with their great burgers and great desserts and malls you can look at 24/7, why would you not stick with what you like?

Thanks for your honest advice Den - you've been very helpful explaining things. I feel I've just liked some of the upgrades over Carnival that I experienced on Royal Caribbean and since they're owned by the same folks - I've been hopeful that some of that will carry over. When I get on board and get a feel for the atmosphere I'll have a better context and see a different picture. Cindy and I are planning to write a full review so folks can experience the cruise with us as we go. Maybe there's Celebrity features I will wish where on other lines.

I guess it is like wanting an Outback blooming union at Carrabba’s when it is different food chains owned by the same parent company..

I would suggest that if your idea of dining is Outback and their blooming onion Celebrity is not right for you.

The only type of promenade decks that I want to see on cruise ships are the kind that wrap around the exterior of the ship and provide great, expansive views looking out to sea.

IMHO they should generally be quiet, relaxing places to sit and daydream or read, or exercise, or take photos, or walk around and enjoy the views, with no stores or restaurants or barkers trying to sell you anything (except perhaps a waiter who quietly takes drink orders).

We do appreciate commentary from naturalists when cruising through scenic areas or other special places of interest.

The deck 4 promenade decks on the M-class ships are good examples of what a promenade deck should be. They would be even better if they wrapped all the way around.

We find the promenade decks of the S-class ships disappointing because large sections of their views are obstructed by lifeboats.

Edited by fleckle

I would suggest that if your idea of dining is Outback and their blooming onion Celebrity is not right for you.

If there are normal food like steaks, chicken, and ribs - I'll be fine. I appreciate everyone's advice and maybe we won't like Celebrity - we'll see. My wife didn't like the food on Carnival and everyone knows Royal Caribbean is worse (plus charging $13 for Johnny Rockets!) so we're trying to find something in the middle. Maybe MSC?

Speaking of blooming onions they're tasty and I would love to see them on Celebrity! I'm made this for another thread - all in good humor folks.

14.jpg.f6dbf4e3f63d992f1c023b9ec619dac3.jpg

I've eyeballed pictures of the Summit and Equinox but not the newer ships. Even if there's not a Promenade there's still shops and restaurants and other common areas like the atrium that could offer a room with some kind of view.

The truth is I would be fine sticking to the fun ships but Cindy's grandparents were well off and turned her into a foodie when she was younger. I'm trying to find a happy medium that we both will like. Royal Caribbean owns Celebrity so I don't see how an upgrade option on one can't be done differently on the other. Like other folks have said - if I'm going to spend the extra money I want to see everything upscale. I wouldn't ask the Crystal folks about a promenade cabin because they sweeten the pot in other ways.

At one point Ford owned Jaguar and we didn't start seeing Jaguar pickup trucks. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Artist renderings for the new Edge class ships have been out for a while now. Did you see a Royal Promenade anywhere? The renovations for the new Revolution program were detailed a little while ago. Did you see a Royal Promenade mentioned anywhere?

I’m sure the new Edge class ships might suit the OP, especially with the ‘Magic Carpet’.

Much too quirky for me.

I hate to say this, but with all Celebrity ships to be ‘Revolutionised’ at a cost of $500m I think it’s time me left Celebrity and returned to Azamara again.

I just wonder how much cruises will cost on Celebrity when the renovations are complete?

Den

Den- good points but you are like a big tuna taking Doug's bait again.

Den- good points but you are like a big tuna taking Doug's bait again.

I had a friend who moved from NY to the Boston area and loved to call the Boston sports talk station and make outlandish comments about the Boston teams, just to get a rise out of the other callers. Sound familiar?

If there are normal food like steaks, chicken, and ribs - I'll be fine. I appreciate everyone's advice and maybe we won't like Celebrity - we'll see. My wife didn't like the food on Carnival and everyone knows Royal Caribbean is worse (plus charging $13 for Johnny Rockets!) so we're trying to find something in the middle. Maybe MSC?

Speaking of blooming onions they're tasty and I would love to see them on Celebrity! I'm made this for another thread - all in good humor folks.

[ATTACH]425875[/ATTACH]

Speaking only for my wife and I, wrong! :rolleyes:

I had a friend who moved from NY to the Boston area and loved to call the Boston sports talk station and make outlandish comments about the Boston teams, just to get a rise out of the other callers. Sound familiar?

But I bet your friend had ACTUALLY been to a baseball game! Maybe a certain poster could move to another cruise site....

From what I have seen, there is plenty of variety in the cruise marketplace. If you like lots of deck parties and contests, try Carnival. If you like dining flexibility or a semi-private haven, try Norwegian. If you like promenade decks and flowriders, try Royal. It really is that easy.

Also, shopping on Oasis was not really much to enjoy...even their Coach store carried lower end merchandise...The big sale they touted was a big come on...junk!

Celebrity has a much nicer layout for shopping at various price points and no pushing or shoving at the special sales,,,!

I am thinking X is not the best choice for this couple!

I’m sure the new Edge class ships might suit the OP, especially with the ‘Magic Carpet’.

Much too quirky for me.

I hate to say this, but with all Celebrity ships to be ‘Revolutionised’ at a cost of $500m I think it’s time me left Celebrity and returned to Azamara again.

I just wonder how much cruises will cost on Celebrity when the renovations are complete?

I hate to say it but I can’t stand the looks of the Edge. It looks to me like they stole part of the Golden Gate Bridge and put it on the ship. Think it is ugly.