Why is Celebrity cheaper than Carnival?

I’m eyeballing some winter prices for next year and other folks have commented on this too. Maybe not the basic price but when you deduct the free perks – X is often times the cheapest with the 5 night West Caribbean. I saw a chart where some of the 7 nights do too. Most folks like balconies so I’m looking at those prices.

Celebrity Infinity Dec 16 2019

$659 with $300 spending = $509

Brilliance of the Seas Dec 14 2019

$579 with $100 spending = $529

Carnival Valor Dec 16 2019

$609 with $0 spending = $609

No Norwegian 5 nighters - the 7 day starts at $1,200! Princess is about the same - and $699 for 3 days.

Why aren't more folks jumping on board and trying out Celebrity? I hear that it is more upscale so it seems like a good opportunity to try it out. Maybe some folks want more slides and a party atmosphere but the value is why Cindy and I are trying out the X this year and maybe next. I posted this on the Celebrity forum and the folks who hop around to different lines were helpful but some of the loyalist got offended.

We did infinity sister ship summit earlier this year very nice ship, also have done brilliance , I would give celebrity the edge .

I've sailed Carnival for years and tried Oasis class once. I took Cindy on her first Cruise - The Carnival Vista - and she's looking for something more upscale. Good to hear especially for the money.

Let me see if I've got this right... you found one sailing on one ship that was less expensive than 2 other ships sailing the same week. And you're making the leap that Celebrity cruises are cheaper than Carnival's? Is that really what you're saying? Or are you only commenting on this one particular sailing? I'd love to see this chart that you've based this on, if you're applying this across the board to all sailings.

Out of curiosity, how many times have you sailed on Carnival?

I've sailed Carnival for years and tried Oasis class once. I took Cindy on her first Cruise - The Carnival Vista - and she's looking for something more upscale. Good to hear especially for the money.

Hi Doug

I don't agree either that you can make a blanket assertion that "Celebrity is cheaper than Carnival".

You did find a Celebrity sailing that is a good price (I agree with that), but you are looking at a year and a half and the main reason the price is good is because of the "freebies" offered the cruise line and for that particular sailing the OV cabin is priced at the same rate as the interior. That is not normally the case.

When you are deciding on a cruise for sure you need to do the research, but you throwing out numbers like this really is superficial. Let me say again, the sailing you have found is a good value. The comparisons, however, are they really of value? It looks like they are from different departure ports. They are different type of ships with different itineraries. Also looking quickly, I noticed that with the Valor itinerary if you did the Dec. 7 sailing instead you would save hundreds of dollars.

One last thing, I do not consider Celebrity to be "more upscale". Try it, you will find it different. Definitely an older crowd. The bottom line is that these cruise lines are more similar that not. You just have to find the one you like best.

If you do really want a "more upscale" experience you will have to try a premium cruise line.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

We cruise a lot , but it’s been years since last celebrity cruise before recent one, when you board they give you a glass of champagne ( really sparkling wine) just a nice way to start a cruise, buffet was far superior to all of the other lines , we love rccl but there buffet is terrible.

We cruise a lot , but it’s been years since last celebrity cruise before recent one, when you board they give you a glass of champagne ( really sparkling wine) just a nice way to start a cruise, buffet was far superior to all of the other lines , we love rccl but there buffet is terrible.

I loved most things about rccl except the food. Johnny Rockets was good but I'm not about to pay $13 a head when I can eat on land for cheaper.

Not sure how you can make such a statement/comparison based on just a few specific sailings especially on different ships. Brilliance is one of RC's smaller and older ships; nothing like the Oasis. Infinity is also an older, smaller ship. I think you just happened to find a good deal - not going to happen every time.

Celebrity might be a little more upscale, and probably less families/kids, but Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean and when comparing, especially RC smaller ships, I think they are very similar.

Let me see if I've got this right... you found one sailing on one ship that was less expensive than 2 other ships sailing the same week. And you're making the leap that Celebrity cruises are cheaper than Carnival's? Is that really what you're saying? Or are you only commenting on this one particular sailing? I'd love to see this chart that you've based this on, if you're applying this across the board to all sailings.

Out of curiosity, how many times have you sailed on Carnival?

I'm saying that Celebrity is often cheaper in the winter in the Caribbean than the fun ships - and why don't more folks don't take advantage of the price and see if they like the more upscale experience. Those who already sail on Celebrity might not be able to answer this question. I put the chart below.

I've been on 9 Carnival cruises since 2006. I'm Gold with 61 points. Half tempted to do one last 14 nighter to make it to platinum in case anyone offers crossover status.

BTW - Someone called me a tuna but they sent me in the right direction looking up Alaska. Celebrity starts at $744 next August but Carnival starts at $939. I'm sure there are dates and ships that are different - just what I'm seeing.

Summit.jpg

Prices vary greatly by many factors, location is big factor. Is the room on Celebrity the same general location as room on Carnival? Rooms by the engine, front of ship by entertainment, under lido deck, etc are usually not preferred and priced less. Or could be Carnival has much fewer rooms left, perhaps a conference or convention block bookings. Or maybe people are finally realizing that Carnival is just a great value!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I'm saying that Celebrity is often cheaper in the winter in the Caribbean than the fun ships - and why don't more folks don't take advantage of the price and see if they like the more upscale experience. Those who already sail on Celebrity might not be able to answer this question. I put the chart below.

I've been on 9 Carnival cruises since 2006. I'm Gold with 61 points. Half tempted to do one last 14 nighter to make it to platinum in case anyone offers crossover status.

BTW - Someone called me a tuna but they sent me in the right direction looking up Alaska. Celebrity starts at $744 next August but Carnival starts at $939. I'm sure there are dates and ships that are different - just what I'm seeing.

Summit.jpg

Well, if that's what you are using to compare, well that may be the explanation. I've looked at that site and found that when you wanted to book one of the low fares it was suddenly sold out. They would be glad to offer you similar accommodations but would cost more. Tried them twice, got same "sorry" for both and haven't looked at them since. Unless you've actually got a commitment on price in writing you can put that under the "maybe" price.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

How long before you sail is a consideration, the time of year you are sailing is a consideration, your departure port is a consideration, etc. I always try to comparison shop when we book a cruise and don't make any presumptions about one cruise line being less expensive than another- but I do think of some lines as being out of my reach, such as Celebrity. So from now on I will certainly being comparing their prices when we book a cruise. But to answer your question OP I think that many are like me and don't even think to compare Celebrity because they figure it's so upscale that they can't afford it.

I think depends on many things but our 13 X Equinox Med cruise was £200 cheaper pp than our 12 day CC Vista cruise the year after. I have found the' big family 3 lines' which are RCL,NCL and CCL raise their prices more than the others and I think this is due to demand.A lot of new cruisers who tend to be younger and families want a fun ship rather than a ship that prides itself on elegance.

I would happily sail Celebrity again for sure but much prefer the lines mentioned above because of my time in life.

Summit.jpg

Hi Doug

You seem to be missing the point. Sometimes you will find a good value booking with Celebrity or any other cruise company for that matter. If it is something that interests you then you should book it. This isn't always the case.

As I said before your comparisons are too simplistic. Take your above screenview, what is it that you are trying to show us. Is it the fact that the cheapest cruise in this specific list is a Celebrity cruise? Is that it? That cruise leaves from Puerto Rico. Where are you flying from? You do take that into consideration, I hope. Even in your list, for $10 more you could take a Carnival cruise out of Miami. That might make a lot more sense for a lot of folks.

Even just looking at that list that you provide, look at that Dec. 1 sailing out of San Juan. I just took a quick look. First the price is already up (today/now). More importantly, the type of special "freebies" that you pointed out in your original post are not available for this cruise and if you look at an OV cabin as you did before they cost $250 more per person, so there no inexpensive cruise any more.

hope this helps

There are a number of variables - the high-lighted Carnival cruise sailed from Galveston. It may have been the only sailing near that date. A Celebrity sailing from a different port at a different date might well be priced differently, reflecting different scarcity as much as different quality.

There have been times when I have found a tool at a local hardware store for a lower price than a somewhat comparable one might be found at Walmart. That would hardly be reason for claiming that Walmart is pricier.

You really need to look at what the cruises is going to cost after you get off the ship to decide what is less expensive. The cabin cost is less important than the total that you pay out of pocket for the entire cruise.

The Celebrity cruises you are referring to embark from Puerto Rico (relatively high airfare from USA) rather than Miami(airline hub with relatively cheap flights). They have to do something to attract people to pay the higher airfare and cruise from Puerto Rico.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I just priced out a bunch of different cruises for spring break for a group of us. I can tell you exactly why Celebrity didn't make it as a possibility for us -- prices for 3rd and 4th guests were higher than fares for 1st and second. The only cruise line more expensive was Disney. I guess if you only have couples it would be a more competitive option.

The Celebrity cruises you are referring to embark from Puerto Rico (relatively high airfare from USA) rather than Miami(airline hub with relatively cheap flights). They have to do something to attract people to pay the higher airfare and cruise from Puerto Rico.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have cruised solo from SJU twice with Celebrity and once with Carnival. Celebrity was approx. $100 less than Carnival each time, and the Summit was a gorgeous ship with better food and entertainment. Celebrity also offered a few different shore excursions that I wasn't able to get on Carnival, which is great for a frequent cruiser.

Celebrity was a great experience for me and I'll sail that line again when pricing is similar or better than Carnival's. Oh, one last thing: Celebrity's CD talked a bit less than Carnival's!