Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

I have never worn a mask--well, maybe as a kid for Halloween.  Not sure what I am supposed to look for.  Retail

stores are closed. I guess I could try Target but I bet they are sold out.

11 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

What type of material and how many layers did you use?

One layer of tee shirt grade cotton/poly knit and one layer of thicker knit from an old skirt.

I have endless bits of garments and fabric lying around since I'm always sewing this and that; I'll need to experiment to find the most comfortable fabrics. I reckon a bit of stretch will help it conform to my face, and I've already found that I need a sharper curve to give more room for my nose.

Too many layers of fabric will be counterproductive - too much resistance to flow means the air will mostly come in through the gaps around the edges. Masks can be hot and heavy to wear and they irritate your nose. It takes practice to get the tension on the elastic or ties just right. I see people wearing them and constantly fiddling and pulling at them or pushing them down below their mouth, contaminating both the inside and the outside with their hands, and rendering them worse than useless.

Once on, they should be kept on and not fiddled with, and taken off carefully. I believe they will be mostly useful to give a sense of comfort to folks that they are not entirely helpless, but everyone still needs to take the proper precautions of distancing and hand washing.

Still, if they filter out a few virus contaminated droplets for a few people I guess that's better than nothing.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 1:42 PM, jpalbny said:

I hope you've all had a chance to see the planets close together for the past week or so

Still visible, in the eastern sky before sunrise, finally had good conditions for viewing.  Thanks for the heads up JP!

• Like 2

Great idea Emtbsam about the elastic from sleep eyeshades!

I have three layers but they are quite thin.

I did test and not hard to breathe thru. 

I also used remnants but 100% cotton. 

The ties do allow me to fit the mask tightly to my face. No gaps on side.

You can sew a pocket for a filter but I didn't.

I plan on wearing a baseball cap to keep my hair from getting in the way and keeping ties from sliding.

I angled the upper ties. I made pleats in mine and pleats on outside must be facing down.

This funny is not intended to be disrespectful on the issue of face masks.  It is a serious issue to be sure!  However, if we stop enjoying bits of humour we will be lost.  So with all due respect....

90330161_2872767806134722_1242391196710469632_n.jpg.eaa1b762503e3416ce8fe139146cca20.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Good one, M. Have seen that floating around Facebook. I love the animal memes. 

On the subject of hair... Who is brave enough to try cutting their own? I am starting to resemble a mad scientist. In a few more weeks it will either be a man bun, or a desperate attempt at using scissors while looing in the mirror. I keep asking Chris to try trimming my mane back, and she will have no part of that idea. Maybe I will have to ask again after a few glasses of wine... 🤣 🍷

Off this weekend, then ready to dive back into it. Back in the ICU for another week, starting Monday.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

On the subject of hair... Who is brave enough to try cutting their own?

Nope, nope, nope!

When I FaceTimed the Silver Princess on Monday, she said I looked like a cockatoo.  It had only been 5-weeks at that point.  She has no idea that I can’t get a cut until week #10.  Wait until she sees me then!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

On the subject of hair... Who is brave enough to try cutting their own?

Luckily I managed to get my hair cut before the world shut down.  Myster was not quite as lucky.  I can't help him because he will not let me near him with anything sharper than an elbow.  I think the mad scientist look will the hair style that will define  COV-19.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Get out the bowl

Place on head.

Cut hair 

Haha Spins!  Absolutely not.

37 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Stumbles, I last got a haircut in December, a week or two before the cruise...

O... M... G...  I gotta see your hair!  Is it as long as Chris's now?

I'm thinking I'll go with the Rooster Cogburn look, sans eye patch, for the summer.  Seems fitting for where I live in the wild, wild, west.  Besides, my sideburns are already looking like Rooster's. 😊

True Grit (2010) – Can I have Jeff Bridges in Everything ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

One thing not yet mentioned - masks are an absolute pain if you wear glasses because they mist up!

Oh, yes. I used to smear a very small amount of washing up liquid on the lenses then polish them with a cotton handkerchief until the smears were gone. Works well and also handy if you need to wear glasses, sunglasses etc in drizzly rain. 

Works on the inside of motorcycle helmets, too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Good one, M. Have seen that floating around Facebook. I love the animal memes. 

On the subject of hair... Who is brave enough to try cutting their own? I am starting to resemble a mad scientist. In a few more weeks it will either be a man bun, or a desperate attempt at using scissors while looing in the mirror. I keep asking Chris to try trimming my mane back, and she will have no part of that idea. Maybe I will have to ask again after a few glasses of wine... 🤣 🍷

Off this weekend, then ready to dive back into it. Back in the ICU for another week, starting Monday.

Hi JP, too funny....the other night Sanjay Gupta was on and he had attempted to cut his hair...…..you need to

be the head of the haircutters MD group:classic_smile:

• Haha 1

Well, I found 2 scarves I forgot I had.....they are both silk and were gifts from my sister's from different travels.

I guess I can use them the next time I go to the grocery store. I am just not very good at putting them around

my face:classic_rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I guess I can use them the next time I go to the grocery store. I am just not very good at putting them around my face:classic_rolleyes:

Caution!!  Be careful going into a bank lobby with your face covered with such a mask.  They've had people in the past with their face covered seeking to make a "WITHDRAWL" when they don't even have an account with that financial institution.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Caution!!  Be careful going into a bank lobby with your face covered with such a mask.  They've had people in the past with their face covered seeking to make a "WITHDRAWL" when they don't even have an account with that financial institution.  

Hi Terry, thanks for the laugh:classic_biggrin:......no worries......my bank's lobby is closed. They are only doing Drive Thru.

12 hours ago, silkismom said:

I just saw something about putting a coffee filter in your face mask, JP would that do anything more to protect?

Unknown. The filtering quality of cloth masks is a big unknown and probably highly variable based on the weave, thickness, type of material, etc. Too many variables to sort through - not all cloth masks are the same, so no blanket statements on whether this could improve any further or not.

When you wear a surgical mask, the air you breathe is a combination of air passing through the mask, and unfiltered air leaking around the sides. Both are better than breathing directly from the contaminated environment - the partially filtered air for obvious reasons, but the leaked air is better too for less obvious reasons.

When the air leaks around the sides of the mask and you breathe it in, the air has no problem following that circuitous path. Droplets are heavy particles, and can't follow that path, so they drop out of the airflow stream and you don't breathe them in. They stick to the mask and to your face, though, so keep washing!

Aerosols CAN say in that twisted airstream - that's why an N95 mask has to be fitted, so there's no air leak, and all of the inhaled air passes through the filtration system of the mask.

If you think of a river, carrying glacial runoff, as it meanders around a corner - the heavier rocks (droplets) drop out of the stream at the sharp turns, but the finer silts (aerosols) turn the corner with the river and stay in suspension.

My (untested) guess is that adding a coffee filter as an inner layer would make the mask harder to breathe through, and would shift more airflow to the sides of the mask. It would still protect against droplets, for the reasons above, because of turbulent airflow. I don't think it would be particularly better, unless your mask was made of such porous cloth that the filtration properties were very poor.

But I haven't used a coffee filter in years...we have an espresso machine. 😉  Sipping some right now before we go out for a walk and try to catch the bright morning sunshine. Happy weekend all!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, thanks for the laugh:classic_biggrin:......no worries......my bank's lobby is closed. They are only doing Drive Thru.

Glad that Lois will be using the bank's drive through and not being in its lobby.  To use our bank lobby, you now need to call ahead and make an advanced appointment.  Most of our banking these days requires little direct bank interaction as it is accomplished via direct deposit, web/electronic payments, etc.  Also, happy to hear that I brought a laugh to Lois.  

On masks, very good added background and insights from J.P.  Keep up that great sharing from our Cooler resident expert. This morning on the Today Show and the local news, the anchors are not wearing masks.  That will be an interesting question to follow as to how widely will people be using some sort of face coverings when being around other people.  Not dull or boring times.  Sad to read the stories regarding the various deaths happening, especially in and around New York City, etc.  Lots of media stories these days on take-out foods, surviving as was headlined in the media about "THE MONTH OF APRIL BEING CANCELLED!!"