Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Good morning,  I got my new bed this morning😃👍...it is a Sealy with an adjustable base and

so far I love it!  Raising the top is so cool!...I know I tested it in the store but I guess I forgot 

how it felt......it was early Feb when I actually purchased it.  Hopefully I will sleep well tonight🙂

When I was little, it was actually about 3 channels.....ABC, CBS and NBC......that was it. And of 

course there was no remote.  You had to physically get up and change the channel.

• Like 4

We didn’t get a TV until I was around 12.  We only got around 5 channels with rabbit ears.  I remember stations signing off at midnight after playing the national anthem.  Does anyone remember “watching” baseball on the radio?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

We didn’t get a TV until I was around 12.  We only got around 5 channels with rabbit ears.  I remember stations signing off at midnight after playing the national anthem.  Does anyone remember “watching” baseball on the radio?

That was my dad's favourite thing to do!  Sunday summers as he tended the BBQ with his bottle of beer and the game on the radio!  Good times!

• Like 1

Just an update for those of you who have been watching----tonight is the last Episode 

of Stanley in Italy............he goes to Sicily😀.  Hard to believe it is 6 weeks since the first show

in Rome.

I hope he is able to finish the series some time. Have enjoyed them all and looking forward to seeing food from my ancestral region of Sicily. My maternal grandfather's parents left there as teenagers around 1910. They were from Nicosia.

Tonight I found a piece of skirt steak buried in the freezer and gave it a quick sear on the new grill (yes I sprang for a 6-burner Weber a few weeks ago). It has another extra burner in the middle to get that section super hot and it puts a beautiful char on a piece of meat.

20210321_144242.thumb.jpg.86288513f638033e7c2dcd078000b37e.jpg

With a glass (bottle) of Malbec from a beautiful Mendoza vineyard that we visited 2 years ago. 

20210321_144345.thumb.jpg.f934c9fb470b26f67ef668428e636a36.jpg

Not pictured: lots of frites to go with that steak, and a delicious chimichurri sauce that Chris made.

Here is the wine that we enjoyed. 

20210321_145132.thumb.jpg.8480a6f14293525b7eeb4fa58ec5387c.jpg

And a picture from back when we visited.

592517220_AwasiJan2019-214.thumb.JPG.c1b433ca8fc37410a016de69d573a74c.JPG

Ah travel memories. Glad we have them, hope we can make more...soon!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

Hi JP, one of my friends on the Italy forum started a thread about the show...you might pop over and take a look.🙂

She said the show has been renewed for a 2nd season but probably won't be

able to do that until 2022..........

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Just an update for those of you who have been watching----tonight is the last Episode of Stanley in Italy............he goes to Sicily😀.  Hard to believe it is 6 weeks since the first show in Rome.

Appreciate the CNN/Stanley Tucci reminder.  Have it set to be recorded tonight at 9 pm ET.  Super loved the episode from last Sunday about Tuscany.  WOW!!   Love that region and he did an excellent job of capturing the great food, history and character of that charming Italian region.  Just a correction, the first Tucci episode was from the Naples area, right?

Glad, Lois, your new bed has arrived and is working well.  

On TV's, phones, etc., I am old enough to remember as a kid party lines, the need to talk fast on long-distance calls as it was so costly, etc.  And with early color TV's, you dare not touch or move that television set as the settings had to be done by an outside professional and things were super sensitive.  Color TV was BIG when it came along. Yes, that was back in the days of just three channels/networks.  Great memories??!!

Anyone else following college basketball "March Madness" tournaments this weekend?  Lots of upsets and interesting match-ups!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Our next door neighbor had the first color TV in our side of town.  Us kids were allowed to watch one show per week at their house, it was almost as good as going to the movies, but no popcorn or food allowed on their white carpet.  That lasted about a year till our folks finally sprung for one.

March madness is truly crazy this year.  Where the heck is Ohio U Terry?

• Like 1

Hi Terry, oh maybe the first episode was Naples.......I thought it was Rome........either way, they

were both early in in the show.

I always watch March Madness! #1 Illinois lost today! # 8 Loyola beat 

them. Did you see Sister Jean? She is pretty amazing for 101!!!!  I am sure

lots of people had their brackets busted! 

I am sure I am more than old enough to remember Alice Kramden, but don't.  I guess she was from the USA?

We got our first black and white TV for the Queen's Coronation, in 1953,  and I well remember the old phones - our no. was 246, later went to 2246 when a few more people got phones.

Lois, I hope that the old lullaby applied to your first night;    'Golden slumbers kiss your eyes, smiles awake you when you rise'

Have a good day everyone; here's hoping our little spat with the EU over vaccine supplies resolves itself soon,

Lola

• Like 1

Our phone number was 68.  
When we were posted to England in 1970, my parents would ring from Australia and after about 30 minutes talking to them the exchange lady, a friend in the small town, would say "3 minutes, are you extending"!   Another time we rang and my parents were away. The exchange friend told us where my parents were and that I had a new niece, but because we hadn’t been able to connect with them there was no charge!  Heard all the news for nothing!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

I am sure I am more than old enough to remember Alice Kramden, but don't.  I guess she was from the USA?

We got our first black and white TV for the Queen's Coronation, in 1953,  and I well remember the old phones - our no. was 246, later went to 2246 when a few more people got phones.

Lois, I hope that the old lullaby applied to your first night;    'Golden slumbers kiss your eyes, smiles awake you when you rise'

Have a good day everyone; here's hoping our little spat with the EU over vaccine supplies resolves itself soon,

Lola

Good morning Lola (afternoon for you🙂).  Many, many years ago we had a show called

"The Honeymooners"........actually the original episodes were in the 1950's but it was still

on the air with re-runs for many years after the fact. 

Here is a link to give you a an idea of the show:

The Honeymooners (TV Series 1955–1956) - IMDb

Ralph, would say to his wife....."to the Moon Alice"......when they would get into an argument.

See the source image