Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

11 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I'm happy to confirm that the Singapore Sling on Silversea are excellent!

IMG_0335.JPG

Welcome back DW!   You have been missed!  Echoing JP's "Please stick around ".  We saved your barstool for you.  We even dusted it off from time to time.   If you would please keep your hind quarters in place,  I won't have to dust as often! 😀

16 hours ago, mysty said:

…the gents in my company during those years were chugging beer! 😁

Chugging?  Heck, my generation was shotgunning!

With that said, I don’t know how this simple mountain boy is going to fit in between WineCubed’s serious conversation and Que’s three drink minimum theological aspects of the Athenian civilization. 

Lastly, glad to see Norm (DW) has walked back into the bar.

image.gif.9144c9be8b2056a48dee5b0f83fe9bb2.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Chugging?  Heck, my generation was shotgunning!

With that said, I don’t know how this simple mountain boy is going to fit in between WineCubed’s serious conversation and Que’s three drink minimum theological aspects of the Athenian civilization. 

Lastly, glad to see Norm (DW) has walked back into the bar.

image.gif.9144c9be8b2056a48dee5b0f83fe9bb2.gif

Stumble you will fit in perfectly!  You have a natural ability to pare things down to either the nugget of wisdom or the nub of inanity.   😁

This is Fran Whyte's version of Singapore Sling:       1oz gin, 1oz brandy, 1oz lemon juice, 3/4 oz grenadine, 1oz sloe gin, soda, pour over ice cubes.

No promised for authenticity, but I like it and it brings back wonder memories. The little recipe card is full of splatters.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Does anyone remember a drink called the Singapore Sling?  As I recall, I thought they were delicious.  I asked DW but she said all she remembers from her college days waitress job is that its a woman's drink...  I'm thinking what I do in the privacy of my own home is up to me 🙂

I seem to remember  that it was originally  invented as a drink for women.  Back in the day in the tropics it was frowned upon to see women  drink alcohol  so the barman at the Raffles Hotel played around with a gin sling by adding cherry brandy and grenadine to give it a look of an innocent fruit cocktail and thus the wives and girlfriends could enjoy a guilt free tipple. 

Of course I could be wrong but it makes for a good story.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Because some people wonder about the fat bear contest, an issue of burgeoning import, I post herewith the photo of today' s winner.Screenshot_20211006-101828.thumb.png.4672cfe467474a8f51848b3c427aa9ab.png

Way to go Otis!  Good luck tomorrow! 🤣

47 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Because some people wonder about the fat bear contest, an issue of burgeoning import, I post herewith the photo of today' s winner.Screenshot_20211006-101828.thumb.png.4672cfe467474a8f51848b3c427aa9ab.png

Congratulations Otis, hope you had a lovely time on that SS world cruise... Oh wait, that would be me after 3 months on board...

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Congratulations Otis, hope you had a lovely time on that SS world cruise... Oh wait, that would be me after 3 months on board...

JP it would take you much longer than 3 months on board to get anywhere near the size of Otis!  I get the feeling that it is not easy for you to sit still.  😁

1 hour ago, Reef Knot said:

I seem to remember  that it was originally  invented as a drink for women.  Back in the day in the tropics it was frowned upon to see women  drink alcohol  so the barman at the Raffles Hotel played around with a gin sling by adding cherry brandy and grenadine to give it a look of an innocent fruit cocktail and thus the wives and girlfriends could enjoy a guilt free tipple. 

Of course I could be wrong but it makes for a good story.

We watched a TV programme a couple of weeks ago about the Raffles hotel and this was exactly what they said about the Singapore Sling.

At one time, Raffles was a seafront hotel BTW.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mysty said:

JP it would take you much longer than 3 months on board to get anywhere near the size of Otis!  I get the feeling that it is not easy for you to sit still.  😁

No amount of moving about on a cruise can counteract the sheer number of calories that one can eat and drink on board. I cruise like that guy on the other website, who writes those very entertaining posts which we all like to read!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

I miss my Ellie girl so much. This made me cry.

I know exactly how you feel spins. At 2.5 weeks since losing my Neko I can still tear up at times. Even my adult sons who usually looked after him when we are away said the house felt lonely at times last week when DH and I were away.

I love those videos though and the story behind them. The dog is a support dog and you can see the love the girl and dog have for each other.

• Like 2

I was going to make an innocent post about how I started every day while cruising:  Get up, go get a latte for my dear wife to enjoy in bed, then I walk laps on the deck for an hour.  The theory was that I could then eat and drink my way through the day without having to buy a new belt.  Nice theory - an hour of walking is probably good for about one G&T.  

When I opened the window to write the above, the below popped up, I think from a cut and paste about a topic I was going to respond to elsewhere on the SS forum site a week or so ago.  You never know what will happen with these damn computers!  It might be of some interest, so what the heck.  This forum is like Calvinball - you make the rules up as you go!!  

Regarding UK Jeff's interesting post about seizure of British citizens from the coast for the slave trade, the choke point of the Straits of Gibraltar were a perfect place for the Barbary States to harass and seize ships, and hold their crews for ransom, or to sell or keep as slaves.  After the Revolutionary War, the US was no long under the protection of the British Navy, and thus vessels were subject to ongoing attacks of its shipping in this area.  Under Jefferson, a policy was undertaken to solve this problem rather than pay annual tribute to these states (as had been done before, to buy protection).  Some credit this with the creation of what became the permanent US Navy.  Below is a very brief summary, but the full story is quite interesting.  Suggest google Barbary Wars, read all about it.  

Various nations encouraged piracy when it made economic or strategic sense.  (Think: Pirates of Penzance.) And of course, it continues to this day, most notably on the eastern coast of Africa.  (Or, think ransomware today.) I have heard the quote "Millions for defense, but not a penny for tribute" ascribed to this conflict, but I think it actually had to do with a diplomatic dust-up the young US had with France.  

The First Barbary War (1801–1805), also known as the Tripolitan War and the Barbary Coast War, was the first of two Barbary Wars, in which the United States and Sweden fought against the four North African states known collectively as the "Barbary States". Three of these were autonomous, but nominally provinces of the Ottoman Empire: Tripoli, Algiers, and Tunis. The fourth was the independent Sultanate of Morocco.[5]

The cause of the U.S. participation was pirates from the Barbary States seizing American merchant ships and holding the crews for ransom, demanding the U.S. pay tribute to the Barbary rulers. United States President Thomas Jefferson refused to pay this tribute. Sweden had been at war with the Tripolitans since 1800.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

I miss my Ellie girl so much. This made me cry.

Sorry spins!  I can't like your post because that would be cruel.   I should have considered that some folks had lost dear pets and that this particular post might be difficult! 🥰

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1