Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

JP, to be honest, we stopped at Devine Wines on Friday first for their wine tasting, and bought 6 bottles.

We met the founder of Brokers Gin at Exct 9 several years ago.  We really should throw out all those empty, signed bottles!

Lois, the fires in California are terrible and terrifying.  Our daughter lives in LA, and can see the fires from work.

A&P

22 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Hi Scots, we have a 95 gallon salt water reef tank. It's getting a bit old; have had our current setup since 2008 and we will probably replace it in the next year (or sooner) with something in the 110-125 gallon range. We have a few cool fish and a couple of corals but I think they need a bit more room.

It's generally fun to keep though it can be a bit of work. We have been careful not to overload it with animals so it's not been too hard to keep it going.

We used to have 2 55 gallon fresh water tanks when we lived in Pleasant Valley NY. One was mixed tropicals, and the other African cichlids. Then we started thinking about retirement and traveling, and large fish tanks could not be part of that plan since there was no one we would trust to care for our fish while we were gone. No fish were harmed during our retirement plans since it took quite a few years to get there.

Now we go to restaurants with large fish tanks in Florida, and we take cruises where we snorkel. Between now and retirement we spent 8 winters living on our boat in the Bahamas looking at fish and coral that we didn't need to take care of.  It's all good.

• Like 1

JP...or anyone really....I think I asked this before but can't remember if it was about this itinerary...….if I am going

to fly from Barcelona to Lisbon, what airline would you recommend? I am booking AMA's river cruise on the Douro

after I arrive in Barcelona from the TA crossing:classic_biggrin:...need to get to Lisbon...…..

Lois, how much time do you want to spend making the trip?

TAP will fly you directly from BCN-LIS

Or if you have a few days, take the train from Barcelona to Madrid (2.5 hours) and visit Madrid. Then fly direct Madrid to Lisbon on TAP, Iberia, Air Europa, or maybe even EasyJet.

If time were no factor I'd make a journey of it, via Madrid. But the fast direct option probably isn't bad either. Just depends on how you want to work it.

8 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Lois, how much time do you want to spend making the trip?

TAP will fly you directly from BCN-LIS

Or if you have a few days, take the train from Barcelona to Madrid (2.5 hours) and visit Madrid. Then fly direct Madrid to Lisbon on TAP, Iberia, Air Europa, or maybe even EasyJet.

If time were no factor I'd make a journey of it, via Madrid. But the fast direct option probably isn't bad either. Just depends on how you want to work it.

Hi JP, I am going to have 3 days before the river cruise in Lisbon (part of AMA's land package). Haven't decided about the end of the trip yet but I did look at flights on TAP's website.  The river cruise ends

in Porto and so thinking about going to Madrid and it would be much easier to fly home from there too.

SWFLAOK, we have a reliable pet sitter who can come in to feed them and troubleshoot basic problems but yes, it's always a bit nerve wracking to leave for a long time. Since we like to do small water changes every 2 weeks the long trips are a worry. The schedule can get a little tight at times. We will see what happens over the next few years as we hopefully get a better idea of what retirement (or semi-retirement) will look like, and when.

Lois, I meant "How many days do you have, after arriving in Barcelona, before you need to go to Lisbon?"

If you don't have much time after the TA cruise, just fly from BCN to Lisbon. If you have lots of time, go via Madrid.

Or, if the Douro cruise ends in Madrid, ignore that suggestion. 

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

OK, so you need to get off the TA, go to the BCN airport, and fly on TAP to Lisbon. Sounds like a plan! 

I was thinking the same thing.....sounds pretty easy:classic_biggrin:.  I can see about going to Madrid for a couple of days at the

end of the river cruise!

• Like 1

As a one-time contributor to this board (Lola), and now a lurker now and again, like Mr. L I have been wondering what happened to UK cruise Jeff, and also Miss  Sophia.  If anyone can shed light - assuming no dreadful problems which might be confidential - it would be good to know.

I still enjoy reading about all your doings, and especially the 'funnies', which often cheer me up.  Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Vueling is the best discount carrier on the route.  AA will begin codesharing very soon as they are owned by the same company that owns British Airways and Iberia.

Good to know; I saw that they also fly that route but was hesitant to recommend a discount carrier that I have no experience with.

58 minutes ago, lincslady said:

As a one-time contributor to this board (Lola), and now a lurker now and again,

Hi Lola! Haven't seen you in forever. Thanks for posting and it's nice to know that you're still lurking around. Come back as often as you can - it's nice to hear from you again. 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks, jp.  Didn't think anyone would remember - it was Jeff who gave me the slightly risque nom de plume.

I don't often have anything to contribute here, as somewhat hampered by not so good walking etc. - and old age - our cruising is limited to no-flies, which for us means the IMO nicest line ex UK, i.e. Saga, who have a fairly spiffy new ship, and take you door to door by chauffeured car.  It is of course only for over 50s, and most are over 70, so not of much interest to anyone young and not from the UK!  They are attracting some younger people, those who like Oceania and Azamara in particular.

I am so glad we travelled a lot while we could - would urge all who can to do the same.  Marvellous memories of Antarctica, Australasia, Far East etc. etc.  I love to read of your trips; your energy is amazing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Thanks, jp.  Didn't think anyone would remember - it was Jeff who gave me the slightly risque nom de plume.

No way I would forget. In fact, I believe that you were the one who encouraged me to come by the Cooler many years ago, when we were still working on Part 1!

I had been a lurker but you popped over onto one of my trip reports with a kind comment, and I figured I'd stop by the Cooler and reply. So, thanks for that!

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

I am so glad we travelled a lot while we could - would urge all who can to do the same.  Marvellous memories of Antarctica, Australasia, Far East etc. etc.  I love to read of your trips; your energy is amazing.

Our philosophy as well. We will do as much as we can, while we are able.

We are incredibly lucky to have enjoyed some amazing destinations so far. Madagascar, Easter Island, Antarctica, and so many other great places to look forward to. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

I don't often have anything to contribute here, as somewhat hampered by not so good walking etc. - and old age - our cruising is limited to no-flies, which for us means the IMO nicest line ex UK, i.e. Saga, who have a fairly spiffy new ship, and take you door to door by chauffeured car.  It is of course only for over 50s, and most are over 70, so not of much interest to anyone young and not from the UK!  They are attracting some younger people, those who like Oceania and Azamara in particular.

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

We are in the midst of following your own experience and agree that after 21 years of round the world experiences with Silversea we are about to await the Chauffeur on Monday morning to take us to Southampton to join the Spirit of Discovery.Main reason for change being the abundance of no fly UK/UK cruises throughout the year on a brand new ship with no kids dominating the swimming pool on Saga.Only concern is 999 passengers after being used to 290 on the Silver Wind but we go with an open mind to the new experience for us.

• Like 1

Hi Cam, nice to see you:classic_smile:

Have no clue about the Jeff question...but I do know over the years of posting on here, people seem to come and

go....hope all is well with you and Jeff. 

36 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

I have also been out of touch for say two years, and primarily lurking, but I am also asking... what's happened to Jeff?  Does anybody have an answer?  

Camels!!!

Nice to see you again here as well. The Cooler has had so many people who drop by and are in and out of touch over the years, but Jeff certainly was a constant. Have been hoping that he's just taking a sabbatical down at seaside, enjoying himself.

Not to be judgmental, but darn there are good people here.  So nice to have a place to go online to find courtesy, concern about one another, and little to no politics.  And mysty, your posts always make me smile.  Lincslady, I'm with jp, agree with your well spoken words.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, brimary said:

We are in the midst of following your own experience and agree that after 21 years of round the world experiences with Silversea we are about to await the Chauffeur on Monday morning to take us to Southampton to join the Spirit of Discovery.Main reason for change being the abundance of no fly UK/UK cruises throughout the year on a brand new ship with no kids dominating the swimming pool on Saga.Only concern is 999 passengers after being used to 290 on the Silver Wind but we go with an open mind to the new experience for us.

We did a Saga cruise about five years ago on the Saga Sapphire, an old ship but superbly renovated and re-designed inside.  It was a month in the Caribbean sailing to and from Southampton.  

I couldn't fault the pre-cruise service from reservations team, nor the service on board the ship.  The ship had about 700 passengers and many had obvious health issues or mobility problems.  To us healthy 60-somethings it was quite shocking at first and led to an amusing encounter on the pier in Antigua when the Sapphire was berthed alongside the Ventura.  A young American came up to us and asked, 'What sort of ship is yours?'  We said it was a cruise ship just like yours.  'Oh,' he said, 'I thought it was some sort of hospital ship.'

One reason why Saga is popular (though the business as a whole is in big trouble) is they offer included travel insurance for anyone.  They also offer door-to-door chauffeur pick-ups.  This seems like a good deal except the pick-ups are not private and ours meant quite a detour to pick someone else up.  On the journey home our other passenger, who had mobility issues, banged her leg against the car door and this delayed us for two hours.  Our driver also insisted on a cigarette break every hour or so. So I wouldn't take up that offer again and would drive to Southampton where Saga have free parking.  

Edited by Fletcher

Thanks everyone for the lovely welcome back.

Fletcher - I will put a post on the new Saga forum on the Spirit of discovery thread about transport, as it must be of minimal interest to Coolers.  If I have anything to say of general interest (hopefully) I will come back here!☺️

Lola

• Like 1