Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

JP 

Food looks delish.

We finished up the carnitas I made the other day in the instant pot.

I am going to make homemade pasta soon.

Sewed four masks yesterday. Expecting we may be told to wear them.

Skeptical of any benefit. 

Von trapp family at it again this am. Auditioning for the Voice.

I can only imagine what's going on inside their house with the kidlets. Tough times for being a kid.

Meanwhile we cocoon.

Dr Spins still dealing with kidney stone.

I hobble about with walker on torn meniscus.

We send all good thoughts and healing energy and hugs to the coolers and our world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends...…..Spins, kidney stones? OUCH OMG...….those are PAINFUL:classic_sad:....hope he will

be ok!

I feel bad for those folks on the HAL ships......not only health issues, but this is a Humanitarian issue.  I know one

of the children of the folks on board wrote Desantis a letter (not an email) a REAL letter....he is such a freaking

putz!  I saw an interview with the Ft. Lauderdale Mayor this morning. He is supposed to be meeting with the HAL

CEO this morning. I realize we don't want infections to spread more than they already have but they have got to

help those folks!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Sewed four masks yesterday. Expecting we may be told to wear them.

Skeptical of any benefit. 

Meanwhile we cocoon.

Dr Spins still dealing with kidney stone.

I hobble about with walker on torn meniscus.

We send all good thoughts and healing energy and hugs to the coolers and our world.

Spins,

With you on the masks - will essentially be a public relations exercise if we're all bidden to wear them. Could also do harm if it engenders a false sense of security and folks relax genuine precautions such as distancing and hand washing.

But I'm going to start sewing them too - after all, sewing is my main hobby and I'm needing little projects ...

And so sorry you're both still having issues, I'd hoped you'd both be fighting fit again by now.

Here's to the future when we can drink champagne on deck 8 and reminisce! May it come sometime not too distant.

• Like 1

thanks Lois and Jolly.

Jolly

I have so many remnants even some from my aunt's estate which are good tightly woven cotton. Her taste ran to florals not exactly L''s taste but they will do. I have some white cotton and since I am making the masks with a bunch of layers L can wear the white outside and the floral close to his face.

I tried to find elastic online several weeks ago but it was already gone.

It takes me longer to make the masks with ties than it would have with elastic. But yes it's good therapy.

And yes not really efficacious IMO.

But I believe we will be asked to don them.

AND YES PLEASE LET US BE ON DECK 8 SOON.

Drinking anything!!

In spite of feeling FOSTO (fear of stating the obvious, which I just made up), I begin to grasp that we should wear masks to protect those around us, not just ourselves.  I could have the novel virus and not know it because I'm asymptomatic or close to it.  Then unintentionally spread it to others with a little cough or maybe just by talking.  I sneeze every pollen season, and need tissues.  No worries, right?  After all my car is coated green - but  it could be the virus this time.  Testing so I could know still unavailable.  I think its time to start wearing a mask at the grocery store. 

Not sure if I want a floral design though 🙂      More like an old cowboy mask or something...

• Like 2

My 2 cents on masks.

Wearing masks vs not is an example of an old medical saying, "Perfect is the enemy of good." Old surgeons always warned us youngsters to not try to be perfect when sewing up things, because in doing so you'd often get too fancy and end up making a mess. 

Meaning related to the coronavirus situation: doing something that's better than nothing, is almost certain to be better than doing nothing at all, while waiting for a perfect solution to materialize.

Covid-19 can apparently spread by both droplet and aerosol. The surgical mask only prevents most droplets. Aerosols are smaller particles and can get around the loose-fitting edges of a surgical mask. Luckily, the highest risk of aerosolization seems to be during hospital procedures, and less so out in the community. 

So, a surgical mask is going to be less effective than an N-95. But does that mean it's useless? Of course not. Accurate numbers are hard to come by but I've heard 95-98% with surgical masks and 98-99% with N95s. So the pessimist looks at 1-2% failure with N95 and 2-5% failure with surgical masks and says the latter is only 50% as effective, so surgical masks are terrible, useless, etc.. Statistically true but the conclusion is misleading. 

If everyone wore a surgical mask, transmission would drop. Not to zero, but rates would be lower than if nobody wore one. Even a homemade mask probably does something, but we don't really know how much. A hospital can't accept and endorse a homemade mask of unknown quality, but you are free to use one. 

There are two aspects to consider. One, containing any infected persons, and two, not getting yourself exposed by breathing in droplets. A surgical mask over the nose and mouth of everyone, helps with both. Some, not all. Still, it has to be better than nothing. 

Why wasn't it recommended sooner? I don't know. But the philosophy above, I suspect, played a role. Also, health care workers who have much higher levels of exposure need masks more than people with minimal exposure; perhaps the delay was an attempt to prevent hoarding? 

And also, I suspect that there was some fear that if people thought that face masks were super effective, they wouldn't cooperate with social distancing. Both seem to be necessary.

Social distancing is best, and wear a mask when you can't. I wear one around the hospital. The best advice I've heard about responsible behavior during the epidemic? Stop focusing on avoiding the infection. Instead, assume you are contagious, and act in a manner that minimizes the risk of spreading the virus from yourself to others. So I wear a mask to keep my residents and nurses safe.

Stay well everyone. 

• Like 6

Good morning JP....seems like there are not enough masks for those on the front lines.....I don't want to use one

if it is going to take one away from ya'll.  Actually, seems like there is not enough of anything for all of you first

responders---you are the hero's, we  just need to STAY HOME.

Thanks JP.

The masks I am making won't take away from HCP.

They are multiple layers of cotton. They have pleats and ties. They are washable. They are not a substitute for an N95. 

And yes something is better than nothing.

They are hospitals asking people to sew them and accepting the donations. Not in my community at the moment.

So I will give them to neighbors with caveats and explain their use and limitations.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Thanks JP.

The masks I am making won't take away from HCP.

They are multiple layers of cotton. They have pleats and ties. They are washable. They are not a substitute for an N95. 

And yes something is better than nothing.

They are hospitals asking people to sew them and accepting the donations. Not in my community at the moment.

So I will give them to neighbors with caveats and explain their use and limitations.

Hi Spins…..I don't sew.  And I have to see if I even have a scarf...….….I am not a scarf gal and have never

used them. :classic_blink:

41 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Maybe it will muffle the volume of the 7AM serenade? One can only hope! 😷

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

My 2 cents on masks.  Social distancing is best, and wear a mask when you can't. I wear one around the hospital. The best advice I've heard about responsible behavior during the epidemic? Stop focusing on avoiding the infection. Instead, assume you are contagious, and act in a manner that minimizes the risk of spreading the virus from yourself to others. So I wear a mask to keep my residents and nurses safe.  Stay well everyone. 

Appreciate J.P.'s excellent background and detailed insights about masks, etc.  Clearly, there is not one, easy, simple solution for this WHOLE virus situation.  Good luck to those doing masks.  My sewing skills are zero.  Won't be trying to make ay of those items.

In watching the news this morning, two jarring stories popped up.  One was an interview with a New York City EMT about their incredible challenges dealing on the streets and in homes with whether they give attention to a heart-attack victim versus virus patients.  Not good in NYC.  Then, news updating on the mess with the two Holland American ships stuck with sick patients in a holding pattern off of the South Florida coast.  No easy choices!!??  Hospital beds and medical personnel are limited in South Florida and will get more challenged during the upcoming days and weeks.  Also saw a news headline from the World Health Organization that said: "WHO: Over 95% of coronavirus deaths in Europe were people over 60."

For good news, below shows the current and upcoming weather here in Central Ohio.  Sunshine always helps make things better and more enjoyable. Surviving at home is easier with improving and better weather outside.  My wife just got back from doing a "seniors-only, early-shopping, stock-up experience" at Costco.  Super busy!!  But, Costco was fairly well stocked up with different items, etc.  Limits on numbers of people allowed in the store, etc. Got some Clorox wipes, but they went out fast, etc.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Completed last summer Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

From AccuWeather right now, here is the weather update for Columbus, Ohio.  Nice to have sunshine and warming temperatures!!  Saturday and Sunday will be in the lower 60'sF and mostly sunny.:

967906402_ScreenShot2020-04-02at9_35_19AM.thumb.png.4493164166bd8996093afbf46595be26.png

• Like 1

I make this plea to those opting to wear masks. Please don't keep fiddlng with them. Put it on, tie it up and leave it alone! And you are not immune with a mask on so hand hygiene and distancing are no less important. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

I make this plea to those opting to wear masks. Please don't keep fiddlng with them. Put it on, tie it up and leave it alone! And you are not immune with a mask on so hand hygiene and distancing are no less important. 

Yes TTS.

Agree.

• Like 1

Looks like common sense and some empathy is finally going to happen when it comes the HAL ship that is still

at sea.....Broward County has finally come to an agreement on letting the ship dock so the folks can get

treated/sent home/put in quarantine.  It is an embarrassment as a Floridian (and human being) to see what has

been happening down there. :classic_sad:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mysty said:

Today is a 2 funny day.....

Great double-funny day from mysty.  Below is an item that a friend sent to us last night.  I replied that I did not like her giving my wife such ideas affecting my health. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Attachment.thumb.jpg.310244e5a4ee61dba5fd0c66ca0361bc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We received a wonderful surprise phone call this morning from Fernando and Norman.  They are on the Whisper somewhere in the Indian Ocean and are doing well.  There is also a great photo of the crew on board the Whisper posted on Facebook.  We can’t wait to get back on board.  We miss everyone and hope that they all stay safe.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Speaking of masks, I wonder if one could adapt the eye shades given out on long flights And turn them into a mask?  Certainly the elastic could be used if nothing else.

Indeed, I made my first prototype mask today using the elastic from two of my collection of eye shades  - it worked very well. I’m going with the shaped type mask that is curved out at the centre front  - the pleated ones tend to gape around the edges too much. Having worn masks my whole career, I know what’s comfortable. 

Edited by jollyjones