Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

4 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Much less time than the recipes say to grill them. It's been a learning curve for sure. They get tough fast.

Salting or brining before cooking can help if you have the time (I don't have the time most weeknights).

Some of my tricks are to preheat the grill to get good grill marks, but I turn it down while actually cooking them, and after a few minutes per side I stand them up vertically with the bone end resting on the grill grates. That keeps the thinner ends from getting overdone while the meat next to the bone gets more heat. Sometimes I turn the middle burner off completely and cook with indirect heat, but that depends more on whether the marinade/glaze is likely to burn or not.

But get an instant-read thermometer and pull them off the grill once you get close to 150 degrees, unless you like chewing on old leather. You have to get used to taking them off the grill when they don't look quite done. 

Thanks for all this detail! And I consider my thermometer one of the most important tools in my kitchen. I cook pork to 145. I'll have to try thicker ones and your technique.

9 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

He turned out to be arrogant, uninterested and basically not very nice at all.

Bruce Jenner showed up at our local public golf course without a tee time. When he was told it would be a while and to perhaps get a bucket of balls and go to the range he said "do you know who I am?" I got that story from the person he said that to btw.

Paraprosdokians    :

First time I heard about paraprosdokians, I liked them. Paraprosdokians are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and is frequently humorous.   (Sir Winston Churchill loved them).

1. Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you ...but it's still on my list.

3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

5. We never really grow up -- we only learn how to act in public.

6. War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

7. Knowledge, is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

9. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

10. In filling out an application, where it says, "In case of an emergency, notify..." I answered "a doctor."

11. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

12. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice

13. I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

14. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

15. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian, any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

16. You're never too old to learn something stupid.

17. I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find someone older than me.

Sadly this is true!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, clo said:

Bruce Jenner showed up at our local public golf course without a tee time. When he was told it would be a while and to perhaps get a bucket of balls and go to the range he said "do you know who I am?" I got that story from the person he said that to btw.

You'd think he'd know who he was and not have to ask. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tothesunset said:

You'd think he'd know who he was and not have to ask. 

Wasn't there an anecdote here about someone saying that to a gate agent who then PAd asking if anyone knew who he was?

• Like 1

Dinner from the garden tonight. Well, almost all - a few ingredients were purchased. I decided to play around and make something up.

I started with a bunch of pancetta. That alone would ensure that whatever I cooked was tasty... I could have stopped here!

20200826_182000.thumb.jpg.1d3972a9cd62a5dd6a03fccf28dee8e6.jpg

Then I picked a bunch of tomatoes, an eggplant, and some herbs.

20200826_182016.thumb.jpg.aa10b89418fa74a9d3d4dcd1f10cdcc6.jpg

Chris and I got to work chopping all of this up, while the pancetta crisped in a bit of olive oil, along with some pepper, a dash of red pepper, and the rosemary. The smell was delicious.

I added the tomatoes, eggplant, and some garlic to the panceta, then simmered the mixture for a few minutes until the tomatoes got a touch soft. Then I begrudgingly added a splash of wine. The cooked pasta went in next, along with some grated fontina, and enough pasta cooking water to make a thin sauce. After a bit of stirring and adjustment of the water balance, the chopped parsley and oregano finished it.

The finished dish. Since I'd made the sauce thin it wasn't like macaroni and cheese, but more the consistency of an alfredo or carbonara sauce.

20200826_184913.thumb.jpg.7d3f3eadefc81a82277c26eee2036c05.jpg

And served with some grated Grana Padano, of course! It was delish.

20200826_184948.thumb.jpg.088aa58c908f9d55323b851b6b042b9d.jpg

I wanted a heavier white but the best I could find was an Alvarinho from Portugal. It was a little light, but did the trick. I'll have to talk to the sommelier about stocking some Italian whites. Such shoddy work.

The garden is growing like crazy but I am worried that the ripening of the tomatoes is going to slow down precipitously. I have tons of green tomatoes on the vines, but the weather has suddenly decided to drop in temperature. We have a run of 75F days with overnight lows in the 50s coming up. I hope that some of them still ripen, though it may take a while longer.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, clo said:

Did he know who he was?  (Sorry to be catty)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Dinner from the garden tonight. Well, almost all - a few ingredients were purchased. I decided to play around and make something up.

I started with a bunch of pancetta. That alone would ensure that whatever I cooked was tasty... I could have stopped here!

20200826_182000.thumb.jpg.1d3972a9cd62a5dd6a03fccf28dee8e6.jpg

Then I picked a bunch of tomatoes, an eggplant, and some herbs.

20200826_182016.thumb.jpg.aa10b89418fa74a9d3d4dcd1f10cdcc6.jpg

Chris and I got to work chopping all of this up, while the pancetta crisped in a bit of olive oil, along with some pepper, a dash of red pepper, and the rosemary. The smell was delicious.

I added the tomatoes, eggplant, and some garlic to the panceta, then simmered the mixture for a few minutes until the tomatoes got a touch soft. Then I begrudgingly added a splash of wine. The cooked pasta went in next, along with some grated fontina, and enough pasta cooking water to make a thin sauce. After a bit of stirring and adjustment of the water balance, the chopped parsley and oregano finished it.

The finished dish. Since I'd made the sauce thin it wasn't like macaroni and cheese, but more the consistency of an alfredo or carbonara sauce.

20200826_184913.thumb.jpg.7d3f3eadefc81a82277c26eee2036c05.jpg

And served with some grated Grana Padano, of course! It was delish.

20200826_184948.thumb.jpg.088aa58c908f9d55323b851b6b042b9d.jpg

I wanted a heavier white but the best I could find was an Alvarinho from Portugal. It was a little light, but did the trick. I'll have to talk to the sommelier about stocking some Italian whites. Such shoddy work.

The garden is growing like crazy but I am worried that the ripening of the tomatoes is going to slow down precipitously. I have tons of green tomatoes on the vines, but the weather has suddenly decided to drop in temperature. We have a run of 75F days with overnight lows in the 50s coming up. I hope that some of them still ripen, though it may take a while longer.

Just wow! I'll be making some version of this. Thanks a mil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emtbsam said:

JP what type of air fryer do you use?

I have a Philips. Not sure of rhe model. I got it a few years ago after @UKCruiseJeff talked about how much he used his. It's been a great addition to the kitchen. 

36 minutes ago, clo said:

Just wow! I'll be making some version of this. Thanks a mil.

Enjoy! Hope yours turns out delicious.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

Emtbsam

I use a Phillips air fryer too. Its the largest capacity.  I bought mine around the same time as JP and El Jefe. I also purchased the grill insert.

I use it a LOT.

Then I bought the instant pot. Two kitchen appliances that are a worthwhile addition. If only they could do the prep work too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1