Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

No need to worry about us here downunder and the vaccines.Australia and New Zealand did not have to think about Emergency Authorisations for any vaccine as we did not have an Emergency.

I am very happy to let those countries who really have a crisis go first.Not all in Australia agree with me though.We have waited until Provisionary authorisation has been given and so far that has been gor the Pfizer and AZ vaccines.

So we have been able to wait until there was real world evidence not just the Phase 3 trials which are really to small to be really the final evidence on a vaccines performance.That has been borne out by the experience in Scotland and England where after 1 shot of the AZ vaccine there have been no deaths and a 94% reduction in hospitalisations.

The Pfizer vaccine after 1 shot has reduced hospitalisations by 86%.

So I am quite happy to wait for the AZ vaccine - I probably wouldn't have a choice anyway.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, drron29 said:

No need to worry about us here downunder and the vaccines.Australia and New Zealand did not have to think about Emergency Authorisations for any vaccine as we did not have an Emergency.

I am very happy to let those countries who really have a crisis go first.Not all in Australia agree with me though.We have waited until Provisionary authorisation has been given and so far that has been gor the Pfizer and AZ vaccines.

So we have been able to wait until there was real world evidence not just the Phase 3 trials which are really to small to be really the final evidence on a vaccines performance.That has been borne out by the experience in Scotland and England where after 1 shot of the AZ vaccine there have been no deaths and a 94% reduction in hospitalisations.

The Pfizer vaccine after 1 shot has reduced hospitalisations by 86%.

So I am quite happy to wait for the AZ vaccine - I probably wouldn't have a choice anyway.

We were doing OK in our little piece of the health unit until there was a social gathering that did not follow protocol.  We went from no active cases to 39 and counting over the course of one week.  I think the emergency brake will be pulled for us and we will go back into lockdown.  The rollercoaster ride is frustrating!  

1 hour ago, mysty said:

We were doing OK in our little piece of the health unit until there was a social gathering that did not follow protocol.  We went from no active cases to 39 and counting over the course of one week.  I think the emergency brake will be pulled for us and we will go back into lockdown.  The rollercoaster ride is frustrating!  

Sorry to hear that misty. I will hope that a hard, short lockdown will stop the transmission quickly so you can then go through the phases to return to some sort of normality.

Julie

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Sorry to hear that misty. I will hope that a hard, short lockdown will stop the transmission quickly so you can then go through the phases to return to some sort of normality.

Julie

Thanks Julie!  It seems the variants are running wild here!  Sharp short lockdown is looming I think!  

6 hours ago, zqtchas said:

11st -L.jpg

Even though it’s a cartoon, it’d be nice if he was wearing his mask correctly,  covering his nose. Every depiction of incorrect mask wearing “normalises” it, if only subconsciously. 
Particularly ironic since I presume it’s meant to encourage mask wearing. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, Julie, did you happen to try the blueberry muffins? If so, what did you think?

Morning Lois, and it is here now in West Australia. 🙂

Not tried the muffins yet but will soon. 

Julie

I may be going covid mad, but my surreal favourite limerick keeps going through my head.  I know it is silly, and maybe not funny, but does anyone else have a favourite  (fairly clean) one?

There was a young man from Nepal

Who went to a fancy dress ball

He said 'I will risk it, and go as a biscuit'

And the dog ate him up in the hall.

Lola

• Like 1
  • Haha 2