Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Just now, jpalbny said:

OK M, Chris and I are home safely so you can stop worrying.

Off to the grocery store and to pick up some take-out.

The trip was great and we are so glad that we jumped through the hoops to be able to make it to France and back.

JP, if I'm the M you are addressing (and I don't want to assume) you know me too well! 🤣  So glad your trip went well and that you are safely home!  The reporting and pictures were awesome!  Thanks for providing arm chair travel! 🥰

• Like 1

yes, glad you both home safe JP!  (& back here)  Anything good for takeout from the supermarket?

Do the French know we love them ever since a couple centuries ago and fully expect this recent dust-up to be resolved over a glass or two of wine?  Maybe with a strong Australian mate, a very reasonable Canadian & a couple of dear British friends with us? 

May I suggest a 3rd glass?

In honor of @Lvshack if you happen to be in the mood

• Like 2

3 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

yes, glad you both home safe JP!  (& back here)  Anything good for takeout from the supermarket?

Do the French know we love them ever since a couple centuries ago and fully expect this recent dust-up to be resolved over a glass or two of wine?  Maybe with a strong Australian mate, a very reasonable Canadian & a couple of dear British friends with us? 

Thanks for the great music Que, I love that song. It reminded me that when I get my new car in December my husband and I will head off for a long weekend down south into WA wine country. I heard from a friend in France via email today and they are still speaking to us Australians. 😁IMG_5353.thumb.jpeg.4b375a9fba38c16e632faae8bd8d6218.jpeg

JP I'm glad you had a good holiday. Did you manage to get any wine to bring home to get into your wonderful cellar?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, frantic36 said:

JP I'm glad you had a good holiday. Did you manage to get any wine to bring home to get into your wonderful cellar?

Thanks for the well wishes. Hope you're holding up OK. 

We did get wine for home! 12 bottles came home safely in our wine checks. We bought those guys 5 years ago in South Africa and it's the best $16 we've ever spent. They are the two black bags in front here.

20210911_091722.thumb.jpg.dfa895d48f4984ad1555b6a5a177f537.jpg

A nylon shell surrounding a Styrofoam inset which holds 6 bottles. Then a lid goes over the top to hold the bottle necks still. Fill, zip, and check.

Have taken them all over and they always have protected the wine so far. Since we don't usually pay baggage fees it's free international shipping for a case of wine. Can't beat that.

Cellar is starting to get some occupancy but plenty of room still

20210921_060733.thumb.jpg.ca7f62238ce33b6fb2768cd6c9ea3727.jpg

Here are the Corsican ones.

20210921_060717.thumb.jpg.06df7f9e95594bfe00cfd4edc92ee42d.jpg

10 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Thanks Q. We got some stuff from our local Asian bistro. A Thai wok basil and some General Tso's chicken. Plenty of leftovers for lunch.

The submarine issue didn't come up. The Europeans we talked to were universally annoyed that we are still banning them from traveling here. Looks like that might finally be lifting. Let's hope.

11 hours ago, mysty said:

JP, if I'm the M you are addressing (and I don't want to assume) you know me too well! 🤣  So glad your trip went well and that you are safely home!  The reporting and pictures were awesome!  Thanks for providing arm chair travel! 🥰

Of course! Glad you enjoyed. Still have to write about Sunday in Nice but I'm surprised that I kept up as well as I did. The plane ride yesterday with Wi-Fi helped.

I expect that you're sleeping late today after your late night election shenanigans. I was up at 3:30 which is actually pretty good for the first day back from Europe. Off to work soon. 

Have a great day all!

• Like 4

Love your funny jp - just like a small child, who prefers the box to the present inside!

I don't know how you have the energy to travel long distance, get home and still post here.

I get the impression that Le Ponant is very very French, in every sense.  The meals looked lovely, though they might not appeal to some cruisers.  And the attitude to drink - only French wine (probably from the mainland), maybe with little choice.  I don't think the French knock their wine back as quickly as the rest of us - could account for some slowness of refills.  And almost certainly no single malt whiskies etc.  In other words, just like holidaying in France!  I would love it - well, most of it.  The method of getting off the back of the ship looks excellent.  

We Brits. are at last being allowed in to visit you!!  Certainly good news for my daughter, who has yet to meet her granddaughter, now nearly one, and living in Tennessee.  

Lola

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

We did get wine for home! 12 bottles came home safely in our wine checks.

😁 I knew I could rely on you. I think I have seen something similar here in West Australia. Not surprising since we have so many people here from South Africa 🙂.

I heard from friends in France via email today and they aren't cross with us.

Julie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I fear the French are not quite so pleased with us!  The entente not very cordiale; maybe because we are too close together.

Julie, I have actually met you, I think, years ago on Seabourn, for a brief chat, near the pool.  Love the colour of your new car.

Lola

• Like 1

17 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

I'm always in the mood 😉🍾... & That's my favourite song to get me on the dance floor ... You will always know if I'm on board as it will be playing every evening in the 

Panaroma Lounge...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Today's pre-funny while waiting for mysty to wake up.

Screenshot_20210921-063515_Facebook.thumb.jpg.a08582cbd658ab4e9581e4e1e7550867.jpg

Ha!  Typical unappreciative feline behavior 🙂

About your wine transport:  shipping was free as your luggage, since you otherwise pack light,  but what did you have to pay in extra taxes on arrival per bottle?  

25 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

About your wine transport:  shipping was free as your luggage, since you otherwise pack light,  but what did you have to pay in extra taxes on arrival per bottle?  

Nothing. 

Customs has always been completely indifferent to our wine. I always tell them how many bottles I have and they tell me to enjoy. This is our experience at both land and air entry points. 

Going through the Nexus lane once, coming home from Niagara-on-the-Lake, we had two full cases. I told the agent that and she laughed, said, "Just don't drink them all until you get home!' and waved us on through. 

This is at least the fifth time we've brought a case home like this. I've been told that the duty on wine is so small that it's not worth the hassle of making US citizens pay it. I don't know this for sure and some day we may have to pay. No biggie.

Our Canadian friends are not so lucky. They pay through the nose if they bring anything home from the US.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

I fear the French are not quite so pleased with us!  The entente not very cordiale; maybe because we are too close together.

Lola

I think the French politicians are not pleased with us (well one particular one actually).

They were royally (republicanally?) taking the p*ss out of the Aussies with that submarine contract. They doubled the price and delayed delivery of outdated technology. Australia made a sensible decision to refer the French to 'Arkell v Pressdam' in relation to that contract. (Google AvP for our US cousins - I've had one CC smacked wrist for language already!)

The French politicos have had 'le hump' with perfidious Albion since June 2016 and have been bad-mouthing us ever since.

Your average French person is probably thoroughly embarrassed by their government's performance and histrionics. Many of us Brits are experiencing a lovely schadenfreude moment over all of this.

C'est la vie - c'est la guerre.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, lincslady said:

Julie, I have actually met you, I think, years ago on Seabourn, for a brief chat, near the pool.  Love the colour of your new car.

Lola

2 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

I think the French politicians are not pleased with us (well one particular one actually).

I agree with Steve. The tantrum throwing wouldn't have anything to do with elections coming up next April would they?🤔. Trying to make the average French person feel sympathy and support for the current government.

Lola was the meet on one of the Seabourn little sisters? I loved those little ships as it was so easy to meet and chat. Though the pools were nothing to write home about😆.

I love the metallic red colour as well as it gleams in the sun and looks very racy. I have had a similar colour on my nails and will make sure they are done in that colour when I pick my car up. I decided I need to do this while I am still able to get in and out of a low car with some dignity.☺️

I'm off to the ballet tonight to see Coppelia. We have been to a few ballets this year and I have been very proud and impressed with our WA Ballet Company. They have been excellent and more then compensate for the fact we can't get other companies through our closed borders.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I agree with Steve. The tantrum throwing wouldn't have anything to do with elections coming up next April would they?🤔. Trying to make the average French person feel sympathy and support for the current government.

<snip>

I think the average French person can see through the political BS as well as any other race. They've seen that the Brits saw through it and voted to get rid of one oppressive layer of it, and we are doing OK despite what the establishment said would happen.

I suspect those two sentences could apply equally well to our cousins across the pond. It needs somebody with a skin thick enough (and probably pockets deep enough - (therein lies the problem)), to stand up and cut through the crap.

I hesitate to mention this, but one did try that in the US and certainly caused some ripples. He could perhaps have had more effect with a bit more sense and a bit less Tweeting, but that is now history.

It is worrying on a global level to see the general incompetence of our current leaders - I cannot think of anyone who is currently a first world leader who inspires me with any confidence in their ability.

Edited by SteveH2508
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

It is worrying on a global level to see the general incompetence of our current leaders - I cannot think of anyone who is currently a first world leader who inspires me with any confidence in their ability.

Agreed!  And when the options available boil down to "Who is the least inept of those on the ballot" it is not going to be an inspired choice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I've been told that the duty on wine is so small that it's not worth the hassle of making US citizens pay it.

My info on this may be out of date, but...One of my first international trips years ago was with a VP of where I worked as an engineer, to Argentina.  We enjoyed several dinners together accompanied by some great red wine, which he suggested I could buy & bring back 6 bottles, and just say "nothing to declare".  What he didn't know is how terrible of a liar I am - anyone can tell! 

So after I say "nothing to declare", the customs guy says open the bag, and in there lie 6 bottles of Malbec. So embarrassing! 

Thought I was going to be arrested or something, instead I'm sent over to another line to pay the duty & it was less than $3. 

JP is right, just tell the customs folks, and at worst you'll be out a few dollars

Edited by QueSeraSera
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, lincslady said:

I don't know how you have the energy to travel long distance, get home and still post here.

I get the impression that Le Ponant is very very French, in every sense.  The meals looked lovely, though they might not appeal to some cruisers.  And the attitude to drink - only French wine (probably from the mainland), maybe with little choice.  I don't think the French knock their wine back as quickly as the rest of us - could account for some slowness of refills.  And almost certainly no single malt whiskies etc.  In other words, just like holidaying in France!  I would love it - well, most of it.  The method of getting off the back of the ship looks excellent.

Thanks - it is exhausting for sure. But sitting by the computer posting on CC isn't too much work. Going to work this morning on the other hand, that was a little tough. Only 8PM here and ready for a snooze.

Yes, I got that sense about Le Ponant as well. It felt like we were immersed in a French holiday. We liked it a lot!

Tonight's dinner, from the "oh darn we did a lousy job grocery shopping yesterday" method of cooking. What edible stuff is actually in the fridge?

Some leftover Speck (Italian smoked ham) that we bought before vacation. Cheese. And a few cherry tomatoes that we couldn't eat before we went away. I picked some oregano from the garden and Chris chopped it up for me. Let's get inventive.

OK. Speck was cut into strips and sautéed with garlic and a hint of red pepper flakes, in olive oil.

20210921_181642.thumb.jpg.dbd0853146c8d71f980ee0b4627caac2.jpg

Throw in the tomatoes and mash them up a bit. Let it get really thick, then add a splash of wine.

20210921_183156.thumb.jpg.0fd51c84bf411e17f2ef072057719ae7.jpg

Toss in the pasta, some cooking water, and grated parmesan cheese. Add more water and stir until a sauce forms, then serve with more cheese and fresh oregano.

20210921_184020.thumb.jpg.6ba38b155ef442d9ba9f3732fe64c84a.jpg

Really tasty for a made-up recipe. The cookbook will be out shortly. 😉

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, coolers

Julie - I feel sure it was on an Odyssey class ship, with room to sit by the pool and we were nearer the pool bar (surprise).  But we have done so many, and it was some years ago, plus my memory is awful - just remember a pretty lady called Julie from Australia, and your pic. confirmed it.  I love the idea of matching nails to the car.

Oh how we all need something really nice to keep us going - the leaders of the western 'democracies' seem so inept at present.  A bit sweeping I know, but it is the way most people feel.

Just made 'Coronation chicken' for daughter visiting tomorrow.  Has anyone heard of it?  It dates back to 1953, obviously - not the sort of recipe to thrill jp, but simple to make for the likes of me, and tastes good.  I guess no one under about 80 and not from the UK will know what I am talking about.

Thanks again to mysty and the others for the funny contributions, I always have a look on here at about noon my time for mysty's, and imagine her in her jimjams creeping quietly so as not to wake anyone up.

Lola

• Like 1

Sorry to go on - Julie, I think you may live near Perth?  We have a lovely memory of being on a Silversea ship, in Fremantle, going up to Perth by train, down to the river, having something fishy with  chips and white wine of course, for lunch there, and then cruising down river back to Freo.  One we did on our own; the people on the excursion were on the same boat back, having paid a lot more than us!  A very hot day, but a lovely one.

Lola

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Good morning, coolers

Julie - I feel sure it was on an Odyssey class ship, with room to sit by the pool and we were nearer the pool bar (surprise).  But we have done so many, and it was some years ago, plus my memory is awful - just remember a pretty lady called Julie from Australia, and your pic. confirmed it.  I love the idea of matching nails to the car.

Oh how we all need something really nice to keep us going - the leaders of the western 'democracies' seem so inept at present.  A bit sweeping I know, but it is the way most people feel.

Just made 'Coronation chicken' for daughter visiting tomorrow.  Has anyone heard of it?  It dates back to 1953, obviously - not the sort of recipe to thrill jp, but simple to make for the likes of me, and tastes good.  I guess no one under about 80 and not from the UK will know what I am talking about.

Thanks again to mysty and the others for the funny contributions, I always have a look on here at about noon my time for mysty's, and imagine her in her jimjams creeping quietly so as not to wake anyone up.

Lola

Thanks Lola!  Very happy to hear that you are enjoying the funnies.   I am still in my jimjams and tiptoeing around as Myster is still abed.   I hope your grandson can get your profile picture to work.   He visits tomorrow with your daughter?  Enjoy the visit!

• Like 1