Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

It is unusual how the time change affects our sleep patterns. I was wide awake at 2AM this morning. I am definitely not sleeping any later than usual. But I'm more tired and wanting to go to bed earlier. Weird. Who knows; maybe I'll get some sleep this weekend.

On-call Monday-Thursday nights next week. Once I leave work on Friday afternoon we are ON VACATION!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

Just checked our return flight from Athens on LH. There was a schedule change!

Flight departs 06:55. Ship docks at 07:00.  I wonder how that will work out?

There is no "EGAD" button here Chas!  But EGAD! 😒

Alert readers of this august forae may recall an embarrassing misstep made by moi some months ago, wherein I referred to a well know champagne as - (gulp) - Jacques Cliquot.  (properly Veuve Clicquot, or the Widow Clicquot)  Justifiably, I was shown the error of my ways in no uncertain terms.  It was one of those "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, rather than open it and remove all doubt" events.  Obviously, I haven't purchased much high end bubbly.  As part of the completion of a sort of penance for this public display of ignorance, I have just finished reading "The Widow Clicquot:  The Story of a Champagne Empire and the Woman Who Ruled it", by Tilar Mazzeo, first published 2008.  (NYT bestseller, Harper Business publisher.)  Anyone with a passing interest in wine generally and  champagne specifically, and of a fascinating story of a young recently widowed woman who (in 1806) took over a small wine brokerage she had owned with her husband, and built it into a great commercial enterprise doing international business, all during an incredibly changeable period of wars great and small, the French Revolution, Napoleon (who preferred Moet's offering), and shifting borders and alliances, will find it a wonderful read.  Ms Mazzeo does a good job of assembling a readable biography with scant personal info available on the Widow herself, but a fair amount of history of the business.  In addition to being a good overview of the history of development of modern champagne, it is also a rollicking tale of doing (big) business in an ever-changing and challenging environment, all made the more exceptional by her being a woman in what was very dominantly a man's arena. Anyone in business can certainly relate, and appreciate her savvy & derring-do.  Pop a cork, and have a good read!  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 3/20/2022 at 5:14 PM, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Alert readers of this august forae may recall an embarrassing misstep made by moi some months ago, wherein I referred to a well know champagne as - (gulp) - Jacques Cliquot.  (properly Veuve Clicquot, or the Widow Clicquot)  Justifiably, I was shown the error of my ways in no uncertain terms.  It was one of those "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, rather than open it and remove all doubt" events.  Obviously, I haven't purchased much high end bubbly.  As part of the completion of a sort of penance for this public display of ignorance, I have just finished reading "The Widow Clicquot:  The Story of a Champagne Empire and the Woman Who Ruled it", by Tilar Mazzeo, first published 2008.  (NYT bestseller, Harper Business publisher.)  Anyone with a passing interest in wine generally and  champagne specifically, and of a fascinating story of a young recently widowed woman who (in 1806) took over a small wine brokerage she had owned with her husband, and built it into a great commercial enterprise doing international business, all during an incredibly changeable period of wars great and small, the French Revolution, Napoleon (who preferred Moet's offering), and shifting borders and alliances, will find it a wonderful read.  Ms Mazzeo does a good job of assembling a readable biography with scant personal info available on the Widow herself, but a fair amount of history of the business.  In addition to being a good overview of the history of development of modern champagne, it is also a rollicking tale of doing (big) business in an ever-changing and challenging environment, all made the more exceptional by her being a woman in what was very dominantly a man's arena. Anyone in business can certainly relate, and appreciate her savvy & derring-do.  Pop a cork, and have a good read!  

Thanks for the book recommendation.  I'm putting it on my list right now!

Hi everyone

Those of us in the UK who are over 75 or vulnerable are now being offered a fourth vaccine dose - I have just been for mine; it hurt a bit for the first time.  We have lots of cases in the UK, some mild but still some needing hospital treatment - we don't hear so much about it because of the other news which is naturally dominating.  I wonder if you in North America are having booster doses?

Just realised this will probably not appear, as we are not supposed to discuss C**** on here!

Lola

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Hi everyone

Those of us in the UK who are over 75 or vulnerable are now being offered a fourth vaccine dose - I have just been for mine; it hurt a bit for the first time.  We have lots of cases in the UK, some mild but still some needing hospital treatment - we don't hear so much about it because of the other news which is naturally dominating.  I wonder if you in North America are having booster doses?

Just realised this will probably not appear, as we are not supposed to discuss C**** on here!

Lola

We in the USA are easing into it.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 12:16 PM, zqtchas said:

Just checked our return flight from Athens on LH. There was a schedule change!

Flight departs 06:55. Ship docks at 07:00.  I wonder how that will work out?

Well …… the other shoe dropped!  SS was not aware of the change until I notified them. I was then given 3 choices. 1- take BA through LHR - JFK at a worst time then the original. 2- take AA ATH - PHL @ $500. ea + 110. extra for insurance and a more convenient time for the last 2 seats. (Which naturally aren’t together due to late booking)   or 3- UA ATH - EWR for only a $1,000. ea + ins.

Was advised by TA that SS is short staffed!!? 

13 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

Well …… the other shoe dropped!  SS was not aware of the change until I notified them. I was then given 3 choices. 1- take BA through LHR - JFK at a worst time then the original. 2- take AA ATH - PHL @ $500. ea + 110. extra for insurance and a more convenient time for the last 2 seats. (Which naturally aren’t together due to late booking)   or 3- UA ATH - EWR for only a $1,000. ea + ins.

Was advised by TA that SS is short staffed!!? 

Between a rock and a hard place!  😒  I'm worried about our flights as well.   Travel in the time of the nasty is nail-bitingly scary!  Hope things work out Chas!

• Thanks 1

Air travel is definitely a challenge these days.

Last week I went online to check my very convenient afternoon direct flight from Dubrovnik to Paris on Air Croatia, only to find that the reservation was no longer in the system. I called AMEX to ask what was going on and they figured out that Air Croatia had canceled the flight a few weeks ago and had not told AMEX. Or me!

This was the only direct flight from Dubrovnik to Paris, which would have been very convenient for the last day of our Slovenia/Croatia trip. Figures. The only option was a 6AM flight out of Dubrovnik with one stop, which would have pretty much ruined the last day of the trip.

So a last-minute scramble to find a way back from the Dubrovnik area, to Paris. There are not a lot of flights out of Dubrovnik, which is why I had been so happy to find the direct flight. Oh well. We looked around and ended up finding a flight out of Tivat (near Kotor) which has one stop. Should work, unless they decide to cancel that one too...

But yes, flights are tight and there is not a lot of excess capacity around. When last-minute changes are necessary, it's a bit of a crapshoot.

Good luck Chas!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Air travel is definitely a challenge these days.

Last week I went online to check my very convenient afternoon direct flight from Dubrovnik to Paris on Air Croatia, only to find that the reservation was no longer in the system. I called AMEX to ask what was going on and they figured out that Air Croatia had canceled the flight a few weeks ago and had not told AMEX. Or me!

This was the only direct flight from Dubrovnik to Paris, which would have been very convenient for the last day of our Slovenia/Croatia trip. Figures. The only option was a 6AM flight out of Dubrovnik with one stop, which would have pretty much ruined the last day of the trip.

So a last-minute scramble to find a way back from the Dubrovnik area, to Paris. There are not a lot of flights out of Dubrovnik, which is why I had been so happy to find the direct flight. Oh well. We looked around and ended up finding a flight out of Tivat (near Kotor) which has one stop. Should work, unless they decide to cancel that one too...

But yes, flights are tight and there is not a lot of excess capacity around. When last-minute changes are necessary, it's a bit of a crapshoot.

Good luck Chas!

I am flying NZ next month; my flight was cancelled, and I was offered another flight a day after ok with the day change). My ticket is business class and the company simply put me in the economic without advice and without any refund. Three hours in the phone to get back the class I paid for.....