Why the big hassle switching cruises???

snowinthecaribean

This was just a simple 7 day Caribbean cruise. I get a penalty for a straight cancellation but this was just a date change. So my question again is why the penalty for a good customer trying to re book. I know I am not explaining my question clearly but what does it cost the cruise line to cancel and re book after a certain date???

Without knowing the details, my guess is you booked the cruise under a promotion that is no longer in effect. Promotions usually are in effect for 4-6 weeks, after that a different promotion comes out often with different rates and different perks.

My guess if you must change dates is that you need to cancel the first cruise and pay the penalty which I’m assuming is the amount of your deposit. Then start from scratch and book the new cruise under the promotion and rate that is currently in effect. Princess can’t just move the cruise dates under the old promotion as it is no longer in effect.

It really doesn’t have anything to do with being a good customer, I am Elite as many on these boards are, and if I had to change a cruise date like the above scenario, this is exactly what I would expect would happen. For this reason I never book promos with non refundable deposits as I know life throws changes at you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We had a cruise booked for November of this year but something came up and we wanted to change to a different cruise. Same month, same room just a couple of weeks later. When I call Princess I was told that I could not change the cruise because if was after the June non cancellation date. I assumed it is just a couple of key strokes to cancel one cruise and book another but Princess refused to do it without us losing our deposit.

Does anyone know why Princess is so stuck on this??? Is there something in their logistics that makes it impossible for them to do this after a certain date. It just seems like bad customer service in this day and age. This would have been our 10th cruise with Princess but now we have to look elsewhere.

Was this booked under 'sun drenched deals' which clearly states deposits are NON-REFUNDABLE ?

We had a cruise booked for November of this year but something came up and we wanted to change to a different cruise. Same month, same room just a couple of weeks later. When I call Princess I was told that I could not change the cruise because if was after the June non cancellation date. I assumed it is just a couple of key strokes to cancel one cruise and book another but Princess refused to do it without us losing our deposit.

Does anyone know why Princess is so stuck on this??? Is there something in their logistics that makes it impossible for them to do this after a certain date(yes, the cruise contract). It just seems like bad customer service in this day and age. This would have been our 10th cruise with Princess but now we have to look elsewhere.

Guess just what you will find looking elsewhere ?

This is how it is done there also, cancel & rebook ., not just a date change.

As others have said, you booked under one of the many promotions and the deposit is non refundable for that cruise date and promotion. You can cancel and change to a different cruise but you’ll need to pay another deposit which will also likely be non-refundable.

I have 65 cruises with Princes and have had to cancel cruises with non refundable deposits. It’s the nature of the travel business

I just had to change a flight and only one day was available where the change fees weren’t more than the entire round trip business class flight had originally cost. It had nothing to do with being a good customer of that particular airline.

Cruises have a business model that the pricing is based on of sailing full. So changes that may result in them sailing with an empty or severely discounted cabin is very costly. They are paying to have staff and supplies for a full ship. Lots of overhead for a full ship. If they allowed your date change then potentially they would need to allow many more and end up with emptier ships. All their pricing and marketing are targeted at filling ships. A empty airplane seat is costly for one fight but compared to an empty cabin with the service staff, food, beverages for one week there is a big difference.

Sailing with full ships is what keeps the basic price per night for room and board low.

This was just a simple 7 day Caribbean cruise. I get a penalty for a straight cancellation but this was just a date change. So my question again is why the penalty for a good customer trying to re book. I know I am not explaining my question clearly but what does it cost the cruise line to cancel and re book after a certain date???

It appears that you booked your cruise under a promotion that had a non-refundable deposit. So, even though you are "only changing the date", the cruise line considers that to be a cancellation.

You are cancelling the cruise on which you were originally booked and are changing to a different date. The cruise line considers that a cancellation of the original booking.

If you are not traveling on the exact original cruise that you booked, then the cruise line considers it a cancellation.

I can tell from the 'tone' of the OP , that whomever he talked to at Princess was in no way going to go even one 'extra' step to try to help this person and move the deposit

believe me, it all depends on the Princess rep or the Customer service rep - who has a lot of authority to make changes..

Banked...;p

Could be true if OP is on the full Circle Pacific or the long repo from London to Singapore. But both embark in late October. Only one 29 night B2B being also sold as a single cruise on Pacific Princess is in November.

OP says they want the same exact cruise, just two weeks later. I doubt it is a long cruise such as a repo or full circle Pacific if it is offered again in two weeks.

just 2 posts up the OP was referenced that it was a 7 day Caribbean cruise...

and I earlier speculated that it might have been booked under the "sun drenched whatever" that specifically stated NON-refundable deposits...

Based on what the OP stated they know and accept the fact that their deposit is not refundable. If they were cancelling the cruise they would fully understand that they would lose the deposit.

They are questioning the fact that Princess will not allow them to change the date without any penalty. IMO it is a fair question.

I suspect the details are in the “fine print” of the non refundable offer details.

Based on what the OP stated they know and accept the fact that their deposit is not refundable. If they were cancelling the cruise they would fully understand that they would lose the deposit.

They are questioning the fact that Princess will not allow them to change the date without any penalty. IMO it is a fair question.

I suspect the details are in the “fine print” of the non refundable offer details.

Yes, but more so, I think the OP believes that in their mind because they are still spending $$ with Princess it should just be transferred.

The reason in my mind to keep the non-refundable portion is that the cabin that was reserved for them may now sail empty. Thus, not only does Princess lose the deposit, but also the remaining fare and any on-board purchases. They also have to attempt to fill the cabin.

I liken it to booking an appointment at a hairstylist. If you no-show or cancel with less than 24 hour notice - I get billed $X because now they either have to scramble to fit someone in OR not get paid the full cost of my service.

**I do not book non-refundable anything**

Oh and I have never sailed on Princess, I do have a Jan 2020 reservation. OP, were you aware of the non-refundable deposit when you made the booking?

Not only in the fine print but during the booking process (a pop up) it says “not refundable under ANY “circumstances“. You must check this box.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums