Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

We found Turtles 1 & 2 last night!  Very entertaining gents!  This will be a boat load of fun!  🙂  Looking forward to meeting all the other kind folks who generously kicked in on this thread and all those who read along with us!  So many familiar friendly faces and many charming new ones!

The Four Seasons Market Street is a gorgeous hotel.  The Gala last night was delightful.  A lot of effort was put in to the presentation and the planning.  Well done SS!

The transport of passengers to the ship will begin at noon (if the ship is deemed ready for embarkation).  Even with the rain currently dampening the city the excitement has not be adversely affected!  There is a seat on the pool deck calling my name!

Sail on.....

50 minutes ago, mysty said:

We found Turtles 1 & 2 last night!  Very entertaining gents!  This will be a boat load of fun!  🙂  Looking forward to meeting all the other kind folks who generously kicked in on this thread and all those who read along with us!  So many familiar friendly faces and many charming new ones!

The Four Seasons Market Street is a gorgeous hotel.  The Gala last night was delightful.  A lot of effort was put in to the presentation and the planning.  Well done SS!

The transport of passengers to the ship will begin at noon (if the ship is deemed ready for embarkation).  Even with the rain currently dampening the city the excitement has not be adversely affected!  There is a seat on the pool deck calling my name!

Sail on.....

Lovely to meet you too mysty. I enjoyed the dinner a lot last night too. I don't think the pool chair will be calling my name for a few days in this weather!!  We missed breakfast but went out as we were meeting up with an old SF friend who had just got back from Puerto Vallarta with his family late last night. I suggested we smuggle him into the SS breakfast but Turtle 2 was having none of it!

IMG_0804.JPG

• Like 1

It is great to be aboard Whisper again. She is looking great.  It has also been excellent to meet some of the posters to this thread prior to our Meet and Mingle scheduled for Wednesday.  We had a lovely dinner with mysty and myster at the Gala on shore and last night in the Restaurant.

Sunday in San Francisco was awful weather with rain and high winds and it was not possible to refuel Whisper at the dock for safety reasons. We probably need a bit to get us to Tahiti!  Consequently, we anchored in San Francisco Bay and, in rapidly improving weather, we were bunkered in the early hours of this morning and set sail 15 hours late on Monday morning. 

The seas outside the Golden Gate are rolling and, again unfortunately, someone has taken a fall and we on our way back to San Francisco with a medical emergency. It is not many cruises that go under the Golden Gate Bridge three times in one day!  We should eventually be under way again after the evacuation around 22 hours late.  The captain has kept us informed but has not said anything yet about any effect on our itinerary. 

We feel for the passenger whose cruise has ended in its first few hours.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

It is great to be aboard Whisper again. She is looking great.  It has also been excellent to meet some of the posters to this thread prior to our Meet and Mingle scheduled for Wednesday.  We had a lovely dinner with mysty and myster at the Gala on shore and last night in the Restaurant.

Sunday in San Francisco was awful weather with rain and high winds and it was not possible to refuel Whisper at the dock for safety reasons. We probably need a bit to get us to Tahiti!  Consequently, we anchored in San Francisco Bay and, in rapidly improving weather, we were bunkered in the early hours of this morning and set sail 15 hours late on Monday morning. 

The seas outside the Golden Gate are rolling and, again unfortunately, someone has taken a fall and we on our way back to San Francisco with a medical emergency. It is not many cruises that go under the Golden Gate Bridge three times in one day!  We should eventually be under way again after the evacuation around 22 hours late.  The captain has kept us informed but has not said anything yet about any effect on our itinerary. 

We feel for the passenger whose cruise has ended in its first few hours.

What an interesting way to start off. So sad for the injured passenger. 

I look forward to hopefully seeing better  reports as you go. 

Thanks for the update Turtle!  Myster and I enjoyed your company and that of Two along with two wonderful cruising friends from our first big adventure in 2016!  🙂  We have now met HunE and DCC!  They are great folks.  I think this will be a fun crowd!

I was excited to sail under the Golden Gate.  The echo is distressing though.  Hopefully the passenger will be able to rejoin the ship at some point.

View from the pool deck in port yesterday:

DSC05231.JPG.d762d3a3853feea65f59ac4bd6c3e8ed.JPG

Our veranda suite welcome:

DSC05232.JPG.bf464dc77ebc41a5070e266ff562837f.JPG

First trip under the Golden Gate:

DSC05249.JPG.c9cfa701a679c93827fb08f3cddfa462.JPG

And The Tale of Tales continues.....

• Like 2

I have watched you all sail in and out and around the bay at various strange hours over the past two days and kept wondering what was going on.  I am so happy TurtleMichael explained what was happening and how unfortunate a passenger had their WC experience cut short.  Let us hope they are able to rejoin very soon.  I will be following along with envy as you embark on an amazing adventure. Hello to TurtleMichael, I think my husband and I sailed with you on a Pacific crossing on Regent in Dec 2009.  Please do let me know if that was you.  It was an Auckland to LA itinerary on the Mariner.  Mysty your suite welcome looks so inviting.  Ration yourself with the candy!   Safe travels to all on board.

Ashley

• Like 1

Thanks for starting this string Mysty. We are CC virgins but have found the communications very helpful. Met T1 and T2 a few times whose names I will not Whisper. Love the understated refirb with some really lovely people on board. So many return world trippers that we almost felt out of it on the first night with all the hugging and kissing going on. I wanted to ask could a Silversea and World Cruise Virgin join in without the "been here before" qualification. There are some really lovely friendly people on board. It was a shame that the old gent had his fall. At 95 it is hard to avoid an injury with a fall like that. The reassuring thing to know is that if we have an accident, the crew will make sure we are safe, even if it means they have to turn the ship around. Well done SS!

Maybe we are a bad omen as the last cruise we went on we had to turn round halfway between Melbourne and NZ for a really ill passenger. The shame with that trip was it meant Celebrity Solstice could not meet the schedule to sail into Milford and Dusky Sounds, which was the highlight of the trip. Once again comforting to know the lengths they went to, to save someone's life.  

Well Mysty you remain a mystery as do all except James Bond and T2, however all will soon be revealed. C U on the 9th.   

• Like 2

Great meeting Mysty & Myster - walked out on the pool deck after lunch in MDR and HunEbear spied Mysty right away.  The other part of our adventure so far was the lack of hot water yesterday.  All fixed today.  Still no update from the captain on revised schedule.  Great food & service so far.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, goldengatecruisers said:

I have watched you all sail in and out and around the bay at various strange hours over the past two days and kept wondering what was going on.  I am so happy TurtleMichael explained what was happening and how unfortunate a passenger had their WC experience cut short.  Let us hope they are able to rejoin very soon.  I will be following along with envy as you embark on an amazing adventure. Hello to TurtleMichael, I think my husband and I sailed with you on a Pacific crossing on Regent in Dec 2009.  Please do let me know if that was you.  It was an Auckland to LA itinerary on the Mariner.  Mysty your suite welcome looks so inviting.  Ration yourself with the candy!   Safe travels to all on board.

Ashley

Ashley, yes that was us! It was a very good cruise. We still maintain intact with Dale and Jacob, fellow SF cruisers. Hope all goes well for you.

Edited by turtlemichael

Was the gentleman who fell possibly Alec, from the UK?   We sailed with him and it seems to me he often was on world cruises.   He was delightful.   If he was the person who fell, I do hope he is able to rejoin you.   He has many stories to tell!

When someone has a chance, could he or she post the names of the Captain, HD, MD, and Shore Concierge Manager.  Our Silver Box has been put in the mail, so our excitement builds.  Have a wonderful crossing, and I hope none of your itinerary has to be changed.

Boy oh boy, after your inauspicious start it seems your world cruise has been properly titled; Tale of Tales.  Let's hope the tales take a turn for the better soon!

Wow!  What an incredible welcome to your suite.  I bet it made up for the brutal weather as seen on the pool deck.  

21 hours ago, mysty said:

Our veranda suite welcome:

DSC05232.JPG.bf464dc77ebc41a5070e266ff562837f.JPG

View from the pool deck in port yesterday:

DSC05231.JPG.d762d3a3853feea65f59ac4bd6c3e8ed.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

When someone has a chance, could he or she post the names of the Captain, HD, MD, and Shore Concierge Manager.  Our Silver Box has been put in the mail, so our excitement builds.  Have a wonderful crossing, and I hope none of your itinerary has to be changed.

Captain Cataldo Destefano, Norman is HD, Gilbert is Maitre’d, Colin is CD til Papeete as Fernando’s mother passed away.  Not sure about Shore Concierge.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Captain Cataldo Destefano, Norman is HD, Gilbert is Maitre’d, Colin is CD til Papeete as Fernando’s mother passed away.  Not sure about Shore Concierge.

I think Destefano use to be the captain of the Shadow for many years.  I bet he's been with SS for over 15-years now.

45 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Boy oh boy, after your inauspicious start it seems your world cruise has been properly titled; Tale of Tales.  Let's hope the tales take a turn for the better soon!

Wow!  What an incredible welcome to your suite.  I bet it made up for the brutal weather as seen on the pool deck.  

Thanks Stumblefoot!  Things are looking up!  🙂  Many lovely folk onboard!  Some crew are a little green but are very keen to learn.  All bodes well!

Thanks DCC for chiming in on the staff question!  I miss the little red booklet!

• Like 1