Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

I am likely to get motion sick watching an action movie.  I take a generic med that contains Dimenhydrinate and it works well for me.  I take them an hour before getting on a plane and will take them for a couple days when first on the ship.  I am OK then unless we get into rough water and then start taking them again.  The meds don't make me drowsy and I just always make sure I have plenty before I leave on a trip.

Edited by mj_holiday
correct grammar

On 5/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, islandwoman said:

I take Dramamine, active ingredient dimenhydrinate.   It works for me, as long as I take it 30 minutes before the ship starts rocking and rolling.  Though, it's been a bit of a challenge getting accurate and timely state-of-the-seas predictions from customer service.  If I see sea-sickness bags put out on the stairways, I know it's definitely time to take Dramamine.  Also, every person reacts differently both to the seas and to the medicine.  It's been trial and error for me to know how much to take to avoid both seasickness and drowsiness.

That’s the thing with seasick medication. You have to take them before the wave motion. I have found that some Captains are better than others at giving fair warning of potential seasickness for those sensitive. I do listen out for their announcements and would have to say Journey’s (soon to be Quest’s) Captain Johannes has been best in this regard. 

Assuming you will have internet access, I use this site to double check for myself.  Not foolproof, but it helps. An app called Windfinder for ports is also excellent. 

http://www.stormsurf.com/mdls/menu_wam.html

Phil

• Like 2

We were on an Az Sea of Cortez cruise where Russ announced that the stabilizers had been extended.  We were ok with extra ginger capsules and bonine.  It was rocky for about 12 hours.  We were in a mid ship balcony deck 7.

We book midships, as it is the most stable area of the ship. The Azamara ships are fitted with stabilizers which are extended when there is some "motion in the ocean".

We always travel with Travelcalm, 400mg ginger root powder compressed into a tablet (not the one with added antihistamine which makes one drowsy). I survived the notorious South China Sea when the crashing waves made the windows on deck 10 look like fish shop windows. We have rarely required our medication in other areas, even the notorious Tasman Sea and Bass Strait which were both almost dead calm for us.

Whenever there is more than a little motion expected, as has been mentioned - there are bags provided throughout the ship in strategic locations on stairwells and in lifts etc.

As well as crystallized ginger, salted crackers and green apples are also provided, all of which are helpful in maintaining one's dignity and retaining one's food. It is always better to have some of the above preventative foods in one's stomach than to have it empty.

• Like 1

I’ve just had a quick look through the ‘Tips’ spreadsheet and made a couple of amendments, but I think the rest of it is as accurate as it can be about the past situation on Azamara. Obviously there will be changes due to COVID and possibly (probably?) changes due to the change of ownership, but we will all just have to wait and see until cruising starts again to see what changes there are.

Here’s a link to the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE/edit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Azamara just announced their plan of action in relation to cruising and, as expected, this does change some of the information in the spreadsheet. I will add a note to this effect at the top of the spreadsheet, along with this link to the relevant page on Azamara’s website. https://www.azamara.co.uk/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea?icid=aza_brnd_b_web_vb_oth_ewas_hp_hero_uk_5112021_

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Azamara just announced their plan of action in relation to cruising and, as expected, this does change some of the information in the spreadsheet. I will add a note to this effect at the top of the spreadsheet, along with this link to the relevant page on Azamara’s website. https://www.azamara.co.uk/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea?icid=aza_brnd_b_web_vb_oth_ewas_hp_hero_uk_5112021_

Thanks Denise. Very kind of you to keep this up!

• Like 1

My only comment is the the wording for restaurant  reservations is “recommended” rather than “required.”

“Reservations are recommended for all dining venues and can be made once onboard. “

I wish I knew if the libraries will be intact.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

My only comment is the the wording for restaurant  reservations is “recommended” rather than “required.”

“Reservations are recommended for all dining venues and can be made once onboard. “

I wish I knew if the libraries will be intact.

Thanks for that I’ve amended the spreadsheet. Like you I worry about the library. I can’t see how they can keep the library open - they’d have to have a member of staff there to wipe books down all the time. I guess the same applies to things like board games.

Edited by Grandma Cruising

4 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks for that I’ve amended the spreadsheet. Like you I worry about the library. I can’t see how they can keep the library open - they’d have to have a member of staff there to wipe books down all the time. I guess the same applies to things like board games.

Except that the likelihood of contracting the virus from surfaces has been found to be very low.The days of wiping down packages with bleach are behind us. I will at least hope for the library!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Except that the likelihood of contracting the virus from surfaces has been found to be very low.The days of wiping down packages with bleach are behind us. I will at least hope for the library!!

I agree.  We no longer wipe down our groceries when we come home....such a bother.  Why could people not wipe down their own books if some wipes were left in the library?  I'm really looking forward to sailing on a ship with a library as Celebrity got rid of theirs long ago.  They still have a little area where you can leave a book/pick up a book.  I used to pack about 5 or 6 to leave there.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

I agree.  We no longer wipe down our groceries when we come home....such a bother.  Why could people not wipe down their own books if some wipes were left in the library?  I'm really looking forward to sailing on a ship with a library as Celebrity got rid of theirs long ago.  They still have a little area where you can leave a book/pick up a book.  I used to pack about 5 or 6 to leave there.

Excellent idea. Leave wipes and signs for anyone who borrows or leaves a book.

On 5/13/2021 at 5:52 PM, Mackdogmolly said:

Excellent idea. Leave wipes and signs for anyone who borrows or leaves a book.

It's interesting. Even before covid there were signs in the gym and wipes provided for the purpose asking guests who used equipment to wipe it down before and after use. Many times I saw people not even bother (with either).

Maybe one of the throwbacks of covid is that it will make people more aware of hygiene although I suspect some will still be oblivious. Me?  I am pretty meticulous. Not because I'm a germaphobe, but have no desire to sit on someone else's sweat or subject them to mine. Yuck!😊

Phil 

• Like 4

On 5/13/2021 at 11:09 AM, TeaBag said:

Celebrity emptied the libraries after several noro virus outbreaks. Studies have shown that on a cruise ship the books in the libraries carry the most germs. Besides, many folks read e-books.

1 hour ago, CynthiaP said:

Celebrity emptied the libraries after several noro virus outbreaks. Studies have shown that on a cruise ship the books in the libraries carry the most germs. Besides, many folks read e-books.

With some sensible precautions, I think it would be safe. I hope they stay.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

With some sensible precautions, I think it would be safe. I hope they stay.

Cynthia P:  Celebrity emptied the libraries after several noro virus outbreaks. Studies have shown that on a cruise ship the books in the libraries carry the most germs. Besides, many folks read e-books

It isn't that hard.  My local library just quarantines returned books for four days before putting them back into circulation.  Celebrity isn't the only cruise line to do away with its libraries.  Others did so before the pandemic, saying that passengers were reading e-books.  I think that the real reason is that they don't want to dedicate the space and expense to a library when they could instead encourage passengers to be out and about around the ship spending money. 

The Azamara library is a wonderful thing, I think. I don’t use a Kindle and am loathe to fill my suitcase with books. That said, I would buy a Kindle if I had to, but it would be good to know the status of the library in advance.

Betsey

Edited by Mackdogmolly
  • Like 4

All the libraries around us are doing this 72-hour book quarantine, and still not letting the public into their buildings – except one that checks returned books in immediately, has their doors open without appointment for browsing and reference assistance.  And that library hasn't had any Covid outbreaks.  A lot of the lockdown rules were precautionary based on the lack of evidence at the beginning of the outbreak.  As we learn more, it's time to go back and re-evaluate those practices.  Some of them were never necessary and should be dropped immediately.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

All the libraries around us are doing this 72-hour book quarantine, and still not letting the public into their buildings – except one that checks returned books in immediately, has their doors open without appointment for browsing and reference assistance.  And that library hasn't had any Covid outbreaks.  A lot of the lockdown rules were precautionary based on the lack of evidence at the beginning of the outbreak.  As we learn more, it's time to go back and re-evaluate those practices.  Some of them were never necessary and should be dropped immediately.

I agree, especially about the 72 hour book quarantine - ridiculous.

A little bit of research :

It is not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems likely to behave like other coronaviruses. A recent review of the survival of human coronaviruses on surfaces found large variability, ranging from 2 hours to 9 days. (72 hour quarantine of books may therefore be too long or not long enough)

The survival time depends on a number of factors, including the type of surface, temperature, relative humidity and specific strain of the virus.

People may become infected by touching surfaces that have been contaminated by the virus and then touching their eyes, nose or mouth without cleaning their hands.

My comment :

A lot depends on hand washing and keeping one's hands away from one's face, as well as avoiding close proximity with anyone coughing, sneezing or using a tissue and failing to wash hands after.

Apologies for being off the original topic : I have followed on from previous posts, only realising afterwards that the thread is Tips for Azamara Newbies.

Edited by Baynanno1
apology for deviation from subject

I work on library policy in the UK and we've been discussing quarantining of books with Public Health England. It was required at the start of the outbreak but now we know more about transmission and infections have come down significantly, they say there is no need to quarantine them. Given that everyone is tested before boarding, there's no reason why that can't be applied to onboard libraries too. 

Thanks for all the tips in this thread. It will be my first Azamara cruise in August so this is really helpful, notwithstanding potential changes to operations because of Covid. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1