Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

35 minutes ago, tidespring said:

Thank you for the update regarding Ravenna. I will be boarding Journey there on October 6th this year. Could you tell me if the Shuttle to Ravenna from the ship is a complimentary service from Azamara?.

Yes, it was for us. It’s too far to walk, so Azamara usually lays on a free shuttle in cases like that.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tidespring said:

Thank you for the update regarding Ravenna. I will be boarding Journey there on October 6th this year. Could you tell me if the Shuttle to Ravenna from the ship is a complimentary service from Azamara?.

We just spent 3 Weeks on Journey.

The shuttle is complimentary every 30 minutes and takes around 15 minutes. The busses stop at Viale Luigi Carlo Farini.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Celebrating Friends said:

On Croatia Intensive Oct. 4, 2023.  Port Questions...

Even though it states in and out of Venice, the port is Ravenna. 

Has anyone been yet?  Tips for 1st timer.  Thinking of flying into Milan for a few days, any advice?  Venice seems like a hassle and very time consuming.  Has anyone flown in and out of Bologna?  Typically book flights with miles instead of the cruise line.  Heard that Ravenna is not ready for cruise lines.  No available public taxis or private driver options.  

Anyone been on Croatia Intensive and have experience booking small group private excursions instead of ship excursions?  Company name and information would be appreciated. (no roll call set up yet for this sailing, and I didn't want to begin one)

Thank you in advance...

Have you looked at the Cruise Critic roll call for your cruise. May be helpful information there.

2 hours ago, beatnix said:

We just spent 3 Weeks on Journey.

The shuttle is complimentary every 30 minutes and takes around 15 minutes. The busses stop at Viale Luigi Carlo Farini.

Is it possible to use them before bording? To get to the Terminal for checkin? 

14 minutes ago, jkhneuberfee said:

Is it possible to use them before bording? To get to the Terminal for checkin? 

Maybe - we had to show our cruise cards to get in.

But I think, they will not run on embarkation day.

Quite frustrated at the moment. I tried to book an experience package over the phone using OBC and they told me I could not do that in advance but I would be able to use OBC to buy the package once on board. They convinced me to pay for it with credit card and then ask Guest Relations to use the obc once i was on board and refund what i paid to my cc. So I boarded a couple hours ago and was told I could NOT use obc for experience packages. Hmmm. Then I thought maybe everything would work out as long as they used Azamara obc first and refunded the obc from my travel agent. They told me the travel agent obc is not refundable. So now I'm left with lots of obc that I expected to use for the experience package. I'm also left having paid for something with cc after being told it would be refunded once on board only to have ship staff refuse to do that. This can't be something decided by individual ships. How can I find what official policy is on use of obc?

1 hour ago, bderr said:

When a ship is tendered, how often do the tenders run between the ship and the port?

That depends on the distance between ship and port. So every 20 to 30 minutes. Which ports are you interested in? We had several in Italy, Croatia and Greec in August.

In the topic ‘Anyone Onboard Currently’ a member has confirmed that in suites & veranda plus staterooms the spirits provided in your room is now a bottle chosen from a list. Here’s a photo of their post which shows the list.

I’ve changed the spreadsheet to reflect this change.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE/edit

0E98316C-8FA9-4172-8AB2-5DFE372925A8.thumb.png.eb9e256b80d20617d3d48496d23118c9.png

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 2

With regard to tendering, this is always dependent on safety.  Conditions were tricky for this operation at the end of April on Quest in Sorrento, Amalfi and Dubrovnik, with the service having to be suspended or reduced.  The weather was lovely, but the swell made the tendering operation very difficult at times.  A fellow traveller told of a previous experience when they were tendered to shore and adverse conditions developed which were such that they could not return to ship that day.  They were accommodated overnight in a hotel. So, be aware that this can happen, and if you need medication, it would be worthwhile taking a small supply with you as a precaution.  I am sure this was a rare occurrence and the staff do their utmost to ensure a smooth service, however the Captain always has the last word.

6 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

In the topic ‘Anyone Onboard Currently’ a member has confirmed that in suites & veranda plus staterooms the spirits provided in your room is now a bottle chosen from a list. Here’s a photo of their post which shows the list.

I’ve changed the spreadsheet to reflect this change.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE/edit

0E98316C-8FA9-4172-8AB2-5DFE372925A8.thumb.png.eb9e256b80d20617d3d48496d23118c9.png

On Pursuit, this is what we found in our Club Continental suite on embarkation (Copenhagen, 25 August 2022).

200ml Dewars blended Whisky; 375ml vodka; 375ml Bacardi Gold; 200ml Bombay Sapphire Gin.

I may be imagining things but I think I recall that the Gin was formerly provided in bottles containing more Gin!

IMG_20220825_142547_1.jpg

2 hours ago, blag said:

On Pursuit, this is what we found in our Club Continental suite on embarkation (Copenhagen, 25 August 2022).

200ml Dewars blended Whisky; 375ml vodka; 375ml Bacardi Gold; 200ml Bombay Sapphire Gin.

I may be imagining things but I think I recall that the Gin was formerly provided in bottles containing more Gin!

IMG_20220825_142547_1.jpg

Thanks for posting, I’ve amended the spreadsheet accordingly.

BTW, it's not a liquor shortage – the problem is that glass production requires massive energy use and [in case you missed it] Europe is suffering from an energy crisis.  Here's a headline from today's Wall Street Journal:

Europe’s Energy Crisis Threatens Glass Production

Makers of cars, buildings, and bottles all use lots of glass, and are stockpiling and taking other measures to prevent shortages

• Like 2

On an upcoming Azamara cruise, we have Complimentary WIFI (Per Cabin).  Does that mean just one device, or do each of us in the same cabin have Wifi?  If only one device, is it better to book Wifi pre-cruise or just wait until we are on board?

1 hour ago, RummyB said:

On an upcoming Azamara cruise, we have Complimentary WIFI (Per Cabin).  Does that mean just one device, or do each of us in the same cabin have Wifi?  If only one device, is it better to book Wifi pre-cruise or just wait until we are on board?

You can only use one device at a time. It’s no problem to wait until you board to book Wifi for another device

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bderr said:

Our cruise will conclude in the Ravenna port on October 10th. Does anyone have either address information or the port location that I can provide to a car service that will be taking me to Bologna from Ravenna? Thanks

Porto Crosini / Terminal Crociere Ravenna

Edited by beatnix
  • Like 1

I am booked next year on my first Azamara cruise. My impression from reading and watching videos on youtube is that the ship is never crowded. No reservations in the dining room but no waiting either. Realistically, what can I expect with regards to waiting for a table in the dining room, getting a seat in the show lounge or access to a bar.