Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

4 hours ago, Port Power said:

That will be from Az, which as you see can be used for shorex.  In my previous experience, TA OBC shows in your onboard account a day or two after boarding.  

There are various types of OBC from Azamara.  Unless it was on a promotion specifically stated as for shorex, it can be used to purchase shorex pre cruise but also used onboard for most spends except gratuities.  So you can book restaurants, upgrade beverage packages, use it for laundry etc etc.  You should see how much obc you have provided by the cruiseline by logging into your account and browsing the shorex for your cruise. Your obc should appear on the banner at the top towards the right hand side.  Your travel agents obc is unlikely to appear until after you board.  Always take documentation with you showing how much you’ve been given in case there’s an issue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jwilcox said:

Thanks. I had a bright idea and started to book a shore excursion. When I went to pay it showed OBC. Do you know if that would be the total of the two, or just Azamara's OBC?

For what it's worth, my $1000 is shown on my account, top right hand side, next to 'cart'. As far as I know it was provided by my TA and is shown in sterling, given I am UK based.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, federalexpress said:

For what it's worth, my $1000 is shown on my account, top right hand side, next to 'cart'. As far as I know it was provided by my TA and is shown in sterling, given I am UK based.

I am in the US, but I have never had my TA’s OBC show up until onboard.

No OBC is showing in my account, even when I booked some tours.  My TA said that we have to pay when we book the tours, and then the tour desk will apply the credits and refund the costs to our credit card when we’re onboard.  This is not what I’ve read on these boards.  Does anyone know if this is correct?

1 hour ago, sandelevy said:

No OBC is showing in my account, even when I booked some tours.  My TA said that we have to pay when we book the tours, and then the tour desk will apply the credits and refund the costs to our credit card when we’re onboard.  This is not what I’ve read on these boards.  Does anyone know if this is correct?

No,  not correct.  It has been years since AZ followed Celebrity with  being able to book shore excursions online using OBC.  Azamara's OBC of course, as TA OBC isn't posted until after you board.  I think you might have a fight on your hands trying to claim a refund for tours you booked online.  We used to have to wait until we were on the ship to use OBC and did not receive refunds for paid shorex.  Hopefully there might be a more recent example if this has happened. 

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

No,  not correct.  It has been years since AZ followed Celebrity with  being able to book shore excursions online using OBC.  Azamara's OBC of course, as TA OBC isn't posted until after you board.  I think you might have a fight on your hands trying to claim a refund for tours you booked online.  We used to have to wait until we were on the ship to use OBC and did not receive refunds for paid shorex.  Hopefully there might be a more recent example if this has happened. 

Azamara’s T & Cs for most excursions are that you can cancel & get a refund up to 48 hours before the excursion (except for some special excursions such as overnight tours).

“What if I cancel my Shore Excursion?
Guests enjoy the benefits of a hassle-free 48-hour cancellation period when reserving Shore Excursions. This flexible tour cancellation policy allows guests to cancel or modify tour reservations up to 48 hours prior to the scheduled tour departure without penalty. If changing or canceling a shore excursion within the appropriate non-penalty period, our valued guests will have two options: they can either contact the Shore Excursions team to reserve another tour, or if they choose to cancel, will have their onboard account credited in the full amount of the tour cost without penalty or fee.”

1 minute ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Azamara’s T & Cs for most excursions are that you can cancel & get a refund up to 48 hours before the excursion (except for some special excursions such as overnight tours).

“What if I cancel my Shore Excursion?
Guests enjoy the benefits of a hassle-free 48-hour cancellation period when reserving Shore Excursions. This flexible tour cancellation policy allows guests to cancel or modify tour reservations up to 48 hours prior to the scheduled tour departure without penalty. If changing or canceling a shore excursion within the appropriate non-penalty period, our valued guests will have two options: they can either contact the Shore Excursions team to reserve another tour, or if they choose to cancel, will have their onboard account credited in the full amount of the tour cost without penalty or fee.”

If you cancel once on the ship to get a refund so that you can rebook using OBC, you might lose out on the excursion.  Friends did this.  They lost their place when they cancelled and someone on the waiting list had first option.  Just for information.  It might well depend on the shore excursion staff at the time.

• Like 2

Just now, Port Power said:

If you cancel once on the ship to get a refund so that you can rebook using OBC, you might lose out on the excursion.  Friends did this.  They lost their place when they cancelled and someone on the waiting list had first option.  Just for information.  It might well depend on the shore excursion staff at the time.

I guess you just have to judge that at the time - don’t cancel unless you’re sure you can rebook.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I am in the US, but I have never had my TA’s OBC show up until onboard.

That is odd. I'm in the UK. Mine shows where I referred to top right, next to cart, in sterling. Not sure why it would be different. I booked through a UK TA and the $1000 OBC was part of the offer from them, specifically to match what Azamara were offering direct. I went with the TA because they were actually a little cheaper on the base price. My strong impression was that Azamara were quite happy for me to go with the TA rather than direct, in fact they helpfully pointed me in the direction of one to talk to.

21 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

That is odd. I'm in the UK. Mine shows where I referred to top right, next to cart, in sterling. Not sure why it would be different. I booked through a UK TA and the $1000 OBC was part of the offer from them, specifically to match what Azamara were offering direct. I went with the TA because they were actually a little cheaper on the base price. My strong impression was that Azamara were quite happy for me to go with the TA rather than direct, in fact they helpfully pointed me in the direction of one to talk to.

That’s a great offer of OBC from your TA! I usually get a little off the published rates, plus some OBC from my TA, but it never matches Azamara’s

The Azamara promo I booked under gave me the $1,000 on board credit from Azamara and it does appear on my Azamara account when I log into it.  I was able to book my excursions through the Azamara website and was able to use my on board credit toward these.

Side note:  Now I am actually debating about cancelling all of my excursions and booking the indulgence package once I get on board.  Can I apply the $1,000 on board credit toward the indulgence package when I purchase the package once I get on board?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

That’s a great offer of OBC from your TA! I usually get a little off the published rates, plus some OBC from my TA, but it never matches Azamara’s

Yes and the base price was pretty competitive too, several hundred pounds under Azamara's proposed rate. My hunch is that Azamara are not seeking to do that much direct, and want to support TA's. Thus what they quote is not the net fare but what they charge TA's who can then make use of some of their commission to reduce the price down, while ensuring Azamara's promoted OBC offer is also matched.

But I'm new to Azamara so this is all speculation.

30 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

If it shows on your online account it’s Azamara OBC, sorry to say but a lot of U.K. travel agents are dishonest about this. Friends have booked Azamara and say their travel agent gave them $500 OBC, free Wi-Fi and a Premium Beverage package to seal the deal no they didn’t it was Azamara’s offer at the time.

During the pandemic we had 2 cancelled cruises and have had to start legal proceedings against our ex travel agent each time before they paid out they now owe us money from another cancelled cruise and guess what despite many promises no money.

I realise all travel agents aren’t the same but my preference is to deal directly with the cruise companies, and Azamara other than the occasional problem getting through on the phone have been excellent.

6 minutes ago, Riocca said:

If it shows on your online account it’s Azamara OBC, sorry to say but a lot of U.K. travel agents are dishonest about this. Friends have booked Azamara and say their travel agent gave them $500 OBC, free Wi-Fi and a Premium Beverage package to seal the deal no they didn’t it was Azamara’s offer at the time.

During the pandemic we had 2 cancelled cruises and have had to start legal proceedings against our ex travel agent each time before they paid out they now owe us money from another cancelled cruise and guess what despite many promises no money.

I realise all travel agents aren’t the same but my preference is to deal directly with the cruise companies, and Azamara other than the occasional problem getting through on the phone have been excellent.

That is possible. The only thing that matters to me is that I want to buy the Indulgence package and I've asked them can I use this OBC to book this in advance and they say(in writing) that I can, obviously with me paying the $500 difference. Haven't done it yet but hopefully there will be no issues, if there are I'll report back.

6 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

Yes and the base price was pretty competitive too, several hundred pounds under Azamara's proposed rate. My hunch is that Azamara are not seeking to do that much direct, and want to support TA's. Thus what they quote is not the net fare but what they charge TA's who can then make use of some of their commission to reduce the price down, while ensuring Azamara's promoted OBC offer is also matched.

But I'm new to Azamara so this is all speculation.

For normal cruise sales U.K. market works differently from the US, U.K.travel agents are fiduciary agents of the cruise companies in that sell their products and receive commissions for doing so. This means the cruise you purchase is the same as the one you could purchase from the cruise line, but they pay the cruise line the price less the commission they receive so can offer a discount. For example if the travel agent receives 10% commission they can offer a 5% discount and keep 5% commission, it’s the reason travel agent payment dates are usually 4 weeks before the cruise lines to ensure the cash is in hand. 
Many years ago a large U.K. travel agent went bankrupt having collected fares from customers but not paying P&O U.K. but because they were fiduciary agents paying the agent is deemed to be paying the cruise line so P&O had to honour the cruises it cost them a lot of money.

Some agents however are able to purchase cruises from the cruise line package them with flights, hotels and transfers and this is a whole new ballgame, then the travel agent is responsible for everything.

22 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

That is possible. The only thing that matters to me is that I want to buy the Indulgence package and I've asked them can I use this OBC to book this in advance and they say(in writing) that I can, obviously with me paying the $500 difference. Haven't done it yet but hopefully there will be no issues, if there are I'll report back.

Be interesting to know how you get on, never tried it but might want too one day.

14 hours ago, sandelevy said:

If the OBC is from Azamara it should show in your account.  Like others, I have been able to book tours using the OBC in advance of my cruise.  I don't use TAs but it is my understanding that OBC from the TA won't appear until you're onboard. 

• Like 1

Hi, Also from UK and had $1000 OBC for excursions added to my account by Azamara and have "spent" it on excusions for an up and coming cruise in December. When I logged in to Azamara the amount showed on the top right of the window. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 8:08 AM, Beamafar said:

Cheers. 

We’re torn between an Az and an X cruise for next year (though X is winning out as it’s on Beyond, and we like big ships). 

Sailing for the first time on Azamara in October - sailed Celebrity many times.  Now that Azamara is no longer under the same ownership, the stateroom upgrade was the one loyalty benefit that did not transfer.  Elite = Discover on Azamara and the loyalty discounts were actually better than on X.

'

• Like 1

I have a lot of OBC to spend - We are sailing Onward - what shopping opportunities are available on the ship?  We have no need for duty free liquor or cigarettes, or high-priced jewelry or watches.  Any information one can provide would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

12 hours ago, ninaslcpa said:

I have a lot of OBC to spend - We are sailing Onward - what shopping opportunities are available on the ship?  We have no need for duty free liquor or cigarettes, or high-priced jewelry or watches.  Any information one can provide would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

I think you may be disappointed, but you never know. You might see something you like. There are two shops on Azamara. Indulgencies sells watches, jewellery, sunglasses etc. A lot of the watches are what I'd call mid to high end. Tissot, Tag Heuer, with a little cheaper Citizen too. The other shop is the Onward Shop that stocks more everyday items like tee shirts, limited other clothes, caps, Azamara gifts etc. There is also suntan lotion, limited OTC medication etc. There is no alcohol or other duty free sold. 

The shopping as I said is limited, but you might see something you like.  You can spend OBC in the spa too. They'll love to help you spend it!  You can buy products there as well as treatments. 

Phil 

• Like 1

There were very few items priced under $200 on Quest recently. The only jewellery was either high end overpriced (or unpriced and it was a “haggle game totally wrong imho) or a few old stock Sarowski items. There was little logo wear except in sizes that were unpopular so Phil is right. Don’t hold back on the basis the shops will offer you anything much. 

12 hours ago, ninaslcpa said:

A few years ago, we had a tonne of OBC. We thought we’d be clever and buy a nice watch each, then sell them on to have a bit of that money back. Well, we bought nice watches we liked, so we kept them. Not quite the original plan. if you decide to do that, maybe buy ones that you don’t like!

On Onward and Pursuit, (maybe all four ships now?) they have a line of beautiful beaded handbags. They are not cheap, but not outrageously expensive either. In two cruises, I’ve bought two. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ninaslcpa said:

Sailing for the first time on Azamara in October - sailed Celebrity many times.  Now that Azamara is no longer under the same ownership, the stateroom upgrade was the one loyalty benefit that did not transfer.  Elite = Discover on Azamara and the loyalty discounts were actually better than on X.

'

Azamara ships are too small to offer cabin upgrades.  There aren't enough decks! 🤣