Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

10 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

A few years ago, we had a tonne of OBC. We thought we’d be clever and buy a nice watch each, then sell them on to have a bit of that money back. Well, we bought nice watches we liked, so we kept them. Not quite the original plan. if you decide to do that, maybe buy ones that you don’t like!

On Onward and Pursuit, (maybe all four ships now?) they have a line of beautiful beaded handbags. They are not cheap, but not outrageously expensive either. In two cruises, I’ve bought two. 

Several years ago we were in the same position.  To use the non refundable OBC my husband bought a good Citizen Eco watch with the intention of selling on ebay or the like.  However, the watch didn't come with the usual paperwork you receive in a shop on land. My son said there are many so-called brand name watches for sale online, but not all are the real deal.  He did sell the watch on-line eventually (the purchaser received a really good deal!) and I did get some cash from that OBC, but it is not something I would do again for recommend.

Isn't one of the shops skin care, make up and perfumes?  Stock up or buy for Christmas presents.

2 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Azamara ships are too small to offer cabin upgrades.  There aren't enough decks! 🤣

Not quite. They certainly offer upgrades either through booking promotions or their blind bidding upgrade program that guests are advised of by email a couple of months before sailing. Just because you’re emailed an option to bid does not necessarily mean there are rooms available. I suspect they do it anyway to capture data on how much people are prepared to do. 
Personally though it’s a lottery because you’re committed to where you are put and it could be a poor noisy location or a suite without a walk in shower. 

• Like 3

Just now, uktog said:

Not quite. They certainly offer upgrades either through booking promotions or their blind bidding upgrade program that guests are advised of by email a couple of months before sailing. Just because you’re emailed an option to bid does not necessarily mean there are rooms available. I suspect they do it anyway to capture data on how much people are prepared to do. 
Personally though it’s a lottery because you’re committed to where you are put and it could be a poor noisy location or a suite without a walk in shower. 

I was only referring to the booking bonus for Elite members of an upgrade.  For example, pay for 1C and receive 1A.  In reality, that is only two decks up, or mid ships instead of fore or aft.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I was only referring to the booking bonus for Elite members of an upgrade.  For example, pay for 1C and receive 1A.  In reality, that is only two decks up, or mid ships instead of fore or aft.

I decided a long time ago that this one category upgrade on Celebrity was hardly of any value. In reality the difference in the price between sub-categories was negligible and sometimes nothing at all. Azamara now play the bid for  upgrade game like Celebrity and I have to say I never bother with it because I'm not willing to take a gamble with location. I used to be able to specifically book a cabin number when offered. No longer unfortunately. 

Phil 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

Isn't one of the shops skin care, make up and perfumes?  Stock up or buy for Christmas presents.

There was no make up on Quest, a very limited range of perfumes (all well over high street prices here,) and skin care from unknown brands (again expensive).  In the end I did buy shampoo and conditioner ($60 for the pair) and showergel($38) to use up the OBC -you can see the pricing, mark up etc.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ninaslcpa said:

I have a lot of OBC to spend - We are sailing Onward - what shopping opportunities are available on the ship?  We have no need for duty free liquor or cigarettes, or high-priced jewelry or watches.  Any information one can provide would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Caviar; Veuve Clicquot; Dom Perignon...splurge!  Do something you've never thought you'd do.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

Several years ago we were in the same position.  To use the non refundable OBC my husband bought a good Citizen Eco watch with the intention of selling on ebay or the like.  However, the watch didn't come with the usual paperwork you receive in a shop on land. My son said there are many so-called brand name watches for sale online, but not all are the real deal.  He did sell the watch on-line eventually (the purchaser received a really good deal!) and I did get some cash from that OBC, but it is not something I would do again for recommend.

Ours came with all the proper paperwork, manual, warranty (although we’re in the UK, so the warranty would likely be difficult).

I would be appalled to think that a reputable cruise line was allowing a shop to sell counterfeit goods. There would be legal implications for the cruise line as well. 

22 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

Ours came with all the proper paperwork, manual, warranty (although we’re in the UK, so the warranty would likely be difficult).

I would be appalled to think that a reputable cruise line was allowing a shop to sell counterfeit goods. There would be legal implications for the cruise line as well. 

No, the cruise lines aren’t selling knock offs.  Buying via eBay and such online private outlets is rife with items not exactly what is described!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

You can also use it for excursions.

Yes, I've booked a couple - one in Barcelona and the Caves in Palma de Majorca.  Most of the others weren't very interesting.  We will also purchase the unlimited internet package and upgrade to ultimate beverage package (from premium), as well as 3 night specialty dining as soon as we board.  I'm thinking perfume and the spa might be good options to spend the rest.  Oh such a difficult "problem" to have.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ninaslcpa said:

Yes, I've booked a couple - one in Barcelona and the Caves in Palma de Majorca.  Most of the others weren't very interesting.  We will also purchase the unlimited internet package and upgrade to ultimate beverage package (from premium), as well as 3 night specialty dining as soon as we board.  I'm thinking perfume and the spa might be good options to spend the rest.  Oh such a difficult "problem" to have.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

You'll enjoy the caves. They have used them as the venue of an Azamazing evening too. 

Phil

• Like 2

My first cruise on Azamara is coming up in the spring of 2023, after having been cancelled and rescheduled twice due to COVID.  I currently have 243 Azamara Club points, earned by sailing on Celebrity and participating in Celebrity's Power Up Points program.  Now I see here:

https://www.azamara.com/loyalty/azamara-circle/transition#:~:text=As you may have heard,Partners%2C a private equity firm

"Transition FAQ #3  As a Captain's Club member, will I have status and points with Azamara if I have only ever sailed with Celebrity?

No. To have had status or points with Azamara, you must have at least one past sailing with Azamara."

When will this go into effect? 

What happens to my points? 

15 hours ago, islandwoman said:

My first cruise on Azamara is coming up in the spring of 2023, after having been cancelled and rescheduled twice due to COVID.  I currently have 243 Azamara Club points, earned by sailing on Celebrity and participating in Celebrity's Power Up Points program.  Now I see here:

https://www.azamara.com/loyalty/azamara-circle/transition#:~:text=As you may have heard,Partners%2C a private equity firm

"Transition FAQ #3  As a Captain's Club member, will I have status and points with Azamara if I have only ever sailed with Celebrity?

No. To have had status or points with Azamara, you must have at least one past sailing with Azamara."

When will this go into effect? 

What happens to my points? 

Whilst noting what you say, our Captain's Club points WERE recognised on our first ever Azamara cruise this year...

3 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

Whilst noting what you say, our Captain's Club points WERE recognised on our first ever Azamara cruise this year...

I have never sailed with Azamara before but they have assured me that my RCCL status will be moved to Azamara after my first cruise

9 minutes ago, Norn Iron Man said:

I have never sailed with Azamara before but they have assured me that my RCCL status will be moved to Azamara after my first cruise

I think this might be the key here. It sounds like maybe what they're saying is that a person who earned their points on Celebrity or Royal won’t have Azamara status until AFTER their first Azamara cruise. Then the points will transfer. So for the first Azamara cruise they’ll be total newbies in the Azamara Circle, but for subsequent ones they will be Discoverer, Discover Plus, whatever?

When you log in to your account on Azamara, do you see your Celebrity status and points?  If you do, and you sail before the IT split, you will have that status and add to those points.  [I don't know about Royal, as this is only a status match.]

44 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When you log in to your account on Azamara, do you see your Celebrity status and points?  If you do, and you sail before the IT split, you will have that status and add to those points.

My Celebrity points and reciprocal Azamara status show in my Azamara account. 

When is the IT split?   What if it happens before my first, already booked, Azamara cruise?

3 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

My Celebrity points and reciprocal Azamara status show in my Azamara account. 

When is the IT split?   What if it happens before my first, already booked, Azamara cruise?

They were saying first quarter of 2023 but last week’s email from Azamara’s President did mention 9 to 12 months for full implementation of the new IT system. Where the loyalty split will fit into this is unknown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When you log in to your account on Azamara, do you see your Celebrity status and points?  If you do, and you sail before the IT split, you will have that status and add to those points.  [I don't know about Royal, as this is only a status match.]

We haven't sailed Azamara, yet - our first is Dec 12, 2022 on Onward. On my Azamara account it shows: 

image.thumb.png.042bb0c7c59df0994f9ccbbfede88a61.png

The 256 points are all from Celebrity, and 80 more points should be added in November after our Celebrity Flora cruise, and Azamara updates as soon as the points are posted on Celebrity. We're hoping, since we'll have at least 336 points by our December Azamara sailing, that we will be considered Discoverer for the December cruise. 

Kevin

1 hour ago, kml246 said:

We haven't sailed Azamara, yet - our first is Dec 12, 2022 on Onward. On my Azamara account it shows: 

image.thumb.png.042bb0c7c59df0994f9ccbbfede88a61.png

The 256 points are all from Celebrity, and 80 more points should be added in November after our Celebrity Flora cruise, and Azamara updates as soon as the points are posted on Celebrity. We're hoping, since we'll have at least 336 points by our December Azamara sailing, that we will be considered Discoverer for the December cruise. 

Kevin

If it were me, I would call Azamara or have my travel agent do it and make sure Azamara has your Captains Club number.  It does not show on your page you copied. My CC number and my Azamara number are exactly the same.  
Make sure Azamara has your CC number.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

If it were me, I would call Azamara or have my travel agent do it and make sure Azamara has your Captains Club number.  It does not show on your page you copied. My CC number and my Azamara number are exactly the same.  
Make sure Azamara has your CC number.

Thanks, they have the number. I blanked it out with the white box under "Azamara Circle #". 

• Like 3