New to planning a cruise with a group, could use some advice from pros!! :)

vbird321

We have cruised as a couple and with our son on Carnival, Disney and Royal Caribbean. We love it!

Our son loves it so much he has asked to go on a cruise when he graduates in 2020..awesome!

Now 3 of his best friends want in on it..great!! We can chaperone that..

Now there is a possibility that their parents and siblings may come too which is fantastic but I am at a loss of how to plan for 3 different families (1 family of 3, 1 family of 5 kids different ages and sexes, and another family of 5 kids same ages but one different gender-triplets!!)

And honestly in the end it could just be us and the 4 boys.

We know we want June 2020, Bahamas/Caribbean, 3-6 days, Port Charleston-Tampa, No Miami (want to be able to drive)

I know this is a lot but does anyone have any tips???

Thanks!

Let each (O.K. make) each family make their own reservations. If you have decided to take the original cruise with your son. Give that information to them and with the name of your TA or cruise line once you have decided. In MY opinion. AND there has been a recent thread. To protect yourself....Don't book or take responsibility for someone else's reservation. You can "link" your reservations, but each family has their account(s). You might be friends now, but if someone decides to back out at the last minute, you aren't the one responsible for clearing up what's left, and have a bitter taste in your mouth. Our son and DIL like to travel with us...ALWAYS separate reservations.

And to be honest, I also wouldn't want to take responsibility for someone else's teens

First of all, find a great TA! You do not want to be in charge of collecting deposits, making payments and all that jazz because if anything should go wrong (perceived or real) you will be the bad person! The TA can handle all the financial things and you can go and have a good time. Second tip- make sure everyone feels that they don't have to be attached at the hip! Perhaps you agree to only always be together at dinner for example, the other times everyone does what they want (sometimes that will be with others) and then you can all swap stories at dinner.

I did this for friends but not on a cruise. I found what I wanted to do and the price, then let everyone else know what, when and where and they could make their own reservations. During the day we are all on our own. If we end up wanting to do the same things, great if not we can just meet for dinner and again go our separate ways if we want or do mutually agreed on things together.

You are planning this for your family and son, it's great if his friends family want to join but they need to be willing to do what you want, you shouldn't have to compromise your vacation for the needs/wants of others who decided they want to join in the fun. JMO

The only thing you might find a problem is that most cruise lines don't have cabins for 7, and if they do, they probably sell out fast. So first, I would check into family cabins or if necessary a suite, and these don't come cheap. That will probably put the kabosh on those families. Even booking two cabins, an adult will have to be booked into it. Again, not cheap. Plus you have daily grats for everyone in the cabin, so they would have to look into that..at 13.50 (I picked average) X7 that's $94.50 per day X the number of days, plus any excursions or drink packages on top of that...I think you might just have scared them away

Let each (O.K. make) each family make their own reservations. If you have decided to take the original cruise with your son. Give that information to them and with the name of your TA or cruise line once you have decided. In MY opinion. AND there has been a recent thread. To protect yourself....Don't book or take responsibility for someone else's reservation. You can "link" your reservations, but each family has their account(s). You might be friends now, but if someone decides to back out at the last minute, you aren't the one responsible for clearing up what's left, and have a bitter taste in your mouth. Our son and DIL like to travel with us...ALWAYS separate reservations.

And to be honest, I also wouldn't want to take responsibility for someone else's teens

I see that the OP has only 3 posts on CC so they may be a cruise newby. Regardless, take this advice. You do not ever want to be involved in arranging or planning a group tour.

DON

Are you talking Port Charleston, South Carolina or Tampa, Florida? And you only want to drive? What about the other folks, would they be in to driving too? Limiting yourself to these two ports, could really limit what is offered to you. Not sure where you live, but these two ports are opposite sides of the state of Florida. Have you considered other ports on the east coast, with the exception of Miami

The easiest way to do a group trip like this is to find a travel agent or online cruise company. Pick you ship, week, cabin and then book it. Tell all your friends and relatives what ship, what week, and what cabin you booked. Then give them the telephone number of the company you booked the cruise with and have them handle the rest. Don’t be surprised if after all that you are the only family that goes on the voyage.

I would book the cruise you want then give the dates etc.. to friends & family & let them book if they want

You could give them the name of your TA or cruise rep you booked with so they can link the booking numbers (if you choose )

after that let them be incharge of their own account

Set up some guidelines like maybe meeting for dinner but otherwise do your own thing

The easiest way to do a group trip like this is to find a travel agent or online cruise company. Pick you ship, week, cabin and then book it. Tell all your friends and relatives what ship, what week, and what cabin you booked. Then give them the telephone number of the company you booked the cruise with and have them handle the rest. Don’t be surprised if after all that you are the only family that goes on the voyage.

At first you get "it's a great idea" until the $$$ starts totaling up, then the Oh, its REALLY that much...I just hope the OP doesn't give in and take the "friends" with them. Just enjoy the cruise as a family.

Since the cruise is for your son's graduation, I would book a cruise based on his preferences, using a travel agent. Once booked, I would provide the details to any others interested in joining you.

The other logistic is finding cabins, as I believe most lines require everyone in a cabin < 21 must have an adult assigned to the cabin. Therefore, you will be unable to book a cabin for only the boys.

I just did a cruise last October with 4 other couples.

I selected the cruise and cabin I wanted and booked.

I then gave them my Agents information and told them to book on their own and that they can refer to my booking number as a reference or a link.

The smart ones booked a sail away/guaranteed cabin linking to my booking.

They got a cheap rate just down the hall from us.

Hi

As suggested, don't take responsibility for anybody else's children, no matter how close they may be to being adults. You can't "chaperone" young adults, you would have no control over them and if something "bad" happens (even if it's unlikely), you shouldn't set yourself up as "the one who was responsible".

Make the plans for your family. Give others that wish to cruise at the same time, all the pertinent details. If they need help, and you can, do what you are able. You can consult on this site, or you can just tell them to contact a travel agent.

You yourself went through all the scenarios where everybody and their uncle might join you and at the same time you acknowledge that it might just be your family. Well, you know how life is, even your family might not be able to go. That's why you need insurance when planning that far in advance.

good luck

I should have added to my post that do not ever get involved in planning any group activities on the cruise. Book or plan whatever activities you want to do during the day and tell the rest of the group what you are planning to do. When someone in the group say "can we come with you" or "lets do the tour together". provide them with the booking link and let them make their own arrangements. Also, everyone does not have to eat together at the same time.

If you try to do any group arrangements for anything, at the end of the cruise, everyone will hate you.

I should point out that I have done several tours or cruises w family. We also do a week long annual family get together every year at a rented house. That is the way we always have handled it and it works. We do try to eat together every night but even that does not always happen.

DON

The only thing you might find a problem is that most cruise lines don't have cabins for 7, and if they do, they probably sell out fast. So first, I would check into family cabins or if necessary a suite, and these don't come cheap. That will probably put the kabosh on those families. Even booking two cabins, an adult will have to be booked into it. Again, not cheap. Plus you have daily grats for everyone in the cabin, so they would have to look into that..at 13.50 (I picked average) X7 that's $94.50 per day X the number of days, plus any excursions or drink packages on top of that...I think you might just have scared them away

We are a family of 7, and used to everything costing twice as much. We always get connecting balconies, but there are connecting insides, as well.

Since the cruise is for your son's graduation, I would book a cruise based on his preferences, using a travel agent. Once booked, I would provide the details to any others interested in joining you.

The other logistic is finding cabins, as I believe most lines require everyone in a cabin < 21 must have an adult assigned to the cabin. Therefore, you will be unable to book a cabin for only the boys.

You just book one adult in each room and get additional ones from guest services.

Having done a number of group events at remote locations, here is what I do.

Plan the dates and location(s) with the participants. But this may also be, here is what I am doing, join me if you want.

Then select hotel(s) in the location(s), and tell people to BOOK THEMSELVES. If rental cars are needed (obviously land based), I ask who is willing to rent, others chip in. If more than one car is needed, we normally based the reimbursement based on both cars (add the costs, divide by number of people). Typically, the riders will pay for gas.

I do NOT book anything for anyone else. They are responsible for their own bookings. And if they delay, and cannot get booked, too bad. I do not accept any money for any deposits or similar, that is up to each person.

With a cruise, the other option is use a TA to coordinate.

Book your cruise with your son

Then send them a text or email stating the dates and name of ship

Do not send them your confirmation email or any other personal cruise data

Then...

Once everyone is booked...get together and decide if the bookings need to be linked as they may not need to if it's anytime dining...but you might want to make some dining ressies nonetheless together

If you want to be a good guy and since you are only a family of 3...perhaps you could book your cabin as a cabin to sleep 4 and....if there is enough lifeboat space....and if there is an issue with getting multiple cabins for the larger family....you could perhaps stick their kid in with you....or not....and just let them fend for themselves

Fwiw this was your family trip first...then they decided...not to join you....but to also take the same cruise

Don't forget that and don't become the group leader.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good advise all around. One thing that wasn't covered was what happens if just your son's friends go? They are supposed to have an adult in their cabin. That can put a kink in your plans.

The sons friends can't just go on the cruise as they are too young

The friends parents can't just assume their kids will be chaperoned by the other mom and dad

There has to be agreed upon arrangements in place

The original two parents actually hold all the power in this scenario as they can either accept or reject the responsibility for the sons friends

My vote....stop telling everyone your plans and just book a cabin for parents and son and make family memories before it's too late and if the son feels he can't enjoy a trip with just his parents then it's already too late

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you really want to be in charge once on the ship, find a travel agent to make all of the arrangements to deal with all as far as room plans and payments go prior to the cruise.

A good travel agent would be extremely helpful to you. :)