Alternative to Celebrity

german_navy

We have taken one MSC cruise in the YC on the Divina, so I'll claim to be an expert. I will simply say I would chose it over the two Celebrity suite classes we've had over the years. An excellent experience BUT the MSC Divina as a whole did not appeal to us at all; to our dismay the food in the YC restaurant was mostly average at best, very disappointing for an Italian line. Polenta and gorgonzola were not available, staples in my diet. While the YC was great, we haven't returned so I guess that speaks volumes.

I note a lot of negatives in re Princess. It's been several years since we took our last cruise on them, our twenty third on that line. DW likes X's big ships better but the best cruise we'll ever take was a Tahiti to FLL on the Pacific Princess. Classic ship, great food, fantastic itinerary ( no one seems to note the importance of itineraries in these discussions) and dare I say it ? a very classy group of passengers, possibly because of the length and cost of the cruise. We just completed our twenty sixth X cruise with five more in the offing, so I guess we have unconsciously made a decision, but I would never knock Princess for any serious fault.

I’d agree regarding itineraries. It is important to us and that’s another reason why we have ventured out to other lines. During the peak summer months, when we have to travel, X appear to have exactly the same old itineraries in the Med. One reason we went on Princess to Alaska this summer was because they sailed from San Francisco and the itinerary was slightly differently from the usual ports. Next year, we are completing an east coast itinerary from FL to Quebec City (13 nights for less than 7 in the Med on X).

After the sailing this year on Princess, we found the lines are more similar than different. We loved trying a new ship (to us) and exploring different ports - we do sail for the itineraries as we have to pay high prices sailing in peak season. We found the shows were far better on Princess than anything we’ve seen on X. On the other hand, the buffets are better on X. As I’ve stated previously on other threads, there are good and bad features on both lines. What it has done, after our disappointing Reflection cruise, is to give us the confidence to try other lines and realise there’s more out there, that’s on a par, with what X is now offering for the money.

If I was honest, we moved from Royal because we thought it was starting to lose its edge and appeal for us, perhaps that’s now what is happening with X: it’s going in the same direction. And I’m not prepared to pay the prices currently being asked for Edge when my main priority is the itinerary.

And I’m not prepared to pay the prices currently being asked for Edge when my main priority is the itinerary.

The prices they're charging for Edge are ridiculous, at least on my sailings in January. I would never pay the current price and can't imagine why anyone would. But as a shareholder, I guess I should tell everyone to go for it!

The prices they're charging for Edge are ridiculous, at least on my sailings in January. I would never pay the current price and can't imagine why anyone would. But as a shareholder, I guess I should tell everyone to go for it!

I agree, and even into next fall the prices are still a bit too high. I'm paying $1,177 per person in a CAT 10 inside cabin. (7 night cruise) The week after, I'm paying $619 per person on HAL's new ship Nieuw Statendam. (7 night cruise)

The hype is on for the Edge, but unless the reviews are out of this world, the prices will come back to earth.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

We have taken one MSC cruise in the YC on the Divina, so I'll claim to be an expert. I will simply say I would chose it over the two Celebrity suite classes we've had over the years. An excellent experience BUT the MSC Divina as a whole did not appeal to us at all; to our dismay the food in the YC restaurant was mostly average at best, very disappointing for an Italian line. Polenta and gorgonzola were not available, staples in my diet. While the YC was great, we haven't returned so I guess that speaks volumes.

I note a lot of negatives in re Princess. It's been several years since we took our last cruise on them, our twenty third on that line. DW likes X's big ships better but the best cruise we'll ever take was a Tahiti to FLL on the Pacific Princess. Classic ship, great food, fantastic itinerary ( no one seems to note the importance of itineraries in these discussions) and dare I say it ? a very classy group of passengers, possibly because of the length and cost of the cruise. We just completed our twenty sixth X cruise with five more in the offing, so I guess we have unconsciously made a decision, but I would never knock Princess for any serious fault.

It sounds like Azamara would be the perfect line for you: R-ships like Pacific Princess [with $50 million in renovation to make them much nicer], fantastic food and service, and in-depth itineraries that even Oceania doesn't match.

Hello!

My name is Frank and I have been cruising with Celebrity regularly for the previous eight years, usually in November/December. My wife and I are from Germany and we have mostly cruised on S-class ships. We usually went for SV or C1 cabins because of their pretty decent price-performance ratio. Celebrity used to offer 14-day-cruises to the Caribbean in winter time. The 14-day-cruise on the Reflection this upcoming December seems to be the last cruise of this length. In addition, prices have increased significantly so we will be looking for alternatives.

Because we are Elite with Celebrity I already got Diamond with Royal. So it makes sense to check their cruises as well. For winter 2019 I found interesting 9/10-days-itineraries on the Explorer and the Serenade of the Seas.

But are these ships serious alternatives to S-class ships at all? Or could somebody give me other, maybe better alternatives?

Frank

Have you considered Oceania?

Happy cruising.

King

It sounds like Azamara would be the perfect line for you: R-ships like Pacific Princess [with $50 million in renovation to make them much nicer], fantastic food and service, and in-depth itineraries that even Oceania doesn't match.[/quote

Thanks for the tip. We've never been on Azamara but are trying Oceania next year. Our first choice is Regent but we have five X cruises booked over the next fifteen months. In a classic case of looking a gift horse in the mouth, we have a thousand dollar certificate to be used on a non-Edge Celebrity cruise but we really don't want another X cruise at a time when we are more interested in other lines.

It sounds like Azamara would be the perfect line for you: R-ships like Pacific Princess [with $50 million in renovation to make them much nicer], fantastic food and service, and in-depth itineraries that even Oceania doesn't match.[/quote

Thanks for the tip. We've never been on Azamara but are trying Oceania next year. Our first choice is Regent but we have five X cruises booked over the next fifteen months. In a classic case of looking a gift horse in the mouth, we have a thousand dollar certificate to be used on a non-Edge Celebrity cruise but we really don't want another X cruise at a time when we are more interested in other lines.

I wonder if they would like you use it on Azamara?

Does your $1000 certificate really state that it cannot be used on any Celebrity Edge booking?

If it's transferable, I'll pay you a healthy percentage of the value for it!

Thanks for your interest, but my wife prefers to wait and see what is available in the January-February timeframe. When I checked this morning, the prime cabins were so obscenely overpriced that I cannot believe anyone would be tempted to book. That being the case, downward adjustments might be the order of the day and DW will be proven right once again.

Should change her mind, I'll get back to you and we can reassess your needs.

Thanks for your interest, but my wife prefers to wait and see what is available in the January-February timeframe. When I checked this morning, the prime cabins were so obscenely overpriced that I cannot believe anyone would be tempted to book. That being the case, downward adjustments might be the order of the day and DW will be proven right once again.

Should change her mind, I'll get back to you and we can reassess your needs.

If you’re thinking of January/February of 2019, I agree about the pricing. Been following Silhouette & Reflection pricing and they are ridiculous. Even Summit out of San Juan prior to her dry dock are nuts.

Here is our preference in cruise lines as of today (this is a moving target):

Note: We will eliminate the more expensive upscale lines we have cruised. (i.e. Azamara, Oceania...,)

#1 -- Celebrity is still the best bang for buck. Great food, large cabins, good entertainment, and a modern uncrowded ship.

#2 -- MSC Yacht Club is a bit more expensive, but it is all inclusive. We do an inside cabin to save money. Ship within a ship set up. Very upscale feel.

#3 -- Holland America is now one of the great deals in cruising. Very inexpensive for what you get. Improved smoking policy and great service.

#4 -- NCL, but a lot of buts. We prefer the smaller Jewel class ships, as the newer ships are very crowded. We only eat evening meals in the alternative restaurants which are very, very good. This requires purchasing an ultimate dining package. Their free drink package requires a service charge. Nickel and dime city. It's a great experience, but it pushes NCL to a cost now above HAL and Celebrity. Plus, their taxes + fees are the highest in the cruise industry. Excellent entertainment.

#5 -- Cunard is HAL on steroids. Very formal, but kind of fun doing that old school Titanic British experience (sans the iceberg). Good MDR food, but the buffet is iffy.

#6 -- Royal Caribbean. Family fun, with loads to do. Food basic, so you need to get at least a three night dining package. Entertainment is very good.

#7 -- Princess. We don't get it. People love this line and we have had nothing but mediocre experiences in three tries. Crowded, so so food, and small venues. Great deck spaces however.

Never cruised Carnival, Costa or Disney.

Your milage may vary,

Enjoy!

Kelclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

So to paraphrase another, what you like someone else may not!

Our favorites is Princess hands down. I won't go into details because too much to cover. But generally we love thier specialty restaurants, Vines wine bar, Muts(movies under the stars), varied entertainment and ability to get food 24 hrs. Also they have many no pay places to eat, not just the buffet. Not too many kids and a great crew.

2nd, 3rd, 4th, is a tossup. As we have sailed Princess, Celebrity, Royal and Carnival.

We have noticed though Princess along with most lines have upped the prices on most itineraries.

Our favorites is Princess hands down. I won't go into details because too much to cover. But generally we love thier specialty restaurants, Vines wine bar, Muts(movies under the stars), varied entertainment and ability to get food 24 hrs. Also they have many no pay places to eat, not just the buffet. Not too many kids and a great crew.

2nd, 3rd, 4th, is a tossup. As we have sailed Princess, Celebrity, Royal and Carnival.

We have noticed though Princess along with most lines have upped the prices on most itineraries.

I also like Princess and I will have Elite status after my next cruise. I have cruised Celebrity more frequently.

It would appear that you have come to your conclusion based on a single Celebrity cruise on the Celebrity Millennium in January of 2002.

I suggest you might want to try one of the Solstice Class ships (I would suggest the Silhouette) and see if your comparison holds true.

I do like the Vines better than the Wine Cellar on Celebrity. The small size of the Main theater is the most aggravating aspect of Princess for us. The small venues for secondary entertainment on Princess is very nice.

We have done a few cruises including 20 on Princess and 21 on Celebrity-- we have done RS 3 times and CS once all on M class ships. Our next cruises are on Equinox is Aqua then SS (B2B).

Next year we are doing MSC Yacht Club-- 2 weeks Caribbean--4 wks Dubai to Tokyo and finally New York to Miami, its like 2 for 1 on prices for 2 of the trips compared to Celebrity in suite class.

If we don't like it we can say we gave it a good shot!!

Regarding Princess we liked the ships but you have to go to a mini-suite to get a sofa in your room but they are in X as standard.

Liz

So many varied experiences. We are Celebrity fans. Our number one. Based on the lines we have sailed on, celebrity #1; Royal ( especially the Oasis class), number 2, Disney #3, ncl #4, princess #5, and last Carnival. want to try the Msc yacht club, and Hal also. Found Princess plain vanilla.

As I mentioned above, my wife has a certificate she hopes to use on a cruise this winter if the price is right. In my research I have discovered a ten day Regent cruise which would cost us $3,300 less than a fourteen day Celebrity cruise in an S1 cabin. Unfortunately, it's itinerary is very similar to an Oceania cruise we are already booked on. But this is why I am ready to jump ship with X.

I also like Princess and I will have Elite status after my next cruise. I have cruised Celebrity more frequently.

It would appear that you have come to your conclusion based on a single Celebrity cruise on the Celebrity Millennium in January of 2002.

I suggest you might want to try one of the Solstice Class ships (I would suggest the Silhouette) and see if your comparison holds true.

I do like the Vines better than the Wine Cellar on Celebrity. The small size of the Main theater is the most aggravating aspect of Princess for us. The small venues for secondary entertainment on Princess is very nice.

Yes! so we are giving it another try on the Reflection in 2019 out of Dublin. Itinerary was the main reason. And although I would put Royal last on my list, can honestly say we have not been on a cruise we did not enjoy! Stuff happens ya know? Kinda hard to please 2-3000 people 100% of the time.

As I mentioned above, my wife has a certificate she hopes to use on a cruise this winter if the price is right. In my research I have discovered a ten day Regent cruise which would cost us $3,300 less than a fourteen day Celebrity cruise in an S1 cabin. Unfortunately, it's itinerary is very similar to an Oceania cruise we are already booked on. But this is why I am ready to jump ship with X.
m

My experience booking Celebrity S1 suites is that the initial demand is very high and the prices go up as the bookings increase. Most people do not pay what is currently showing on line. Celebrity has eliminated their regular 14 day winter itinerary. But most S1 suites are a single price with the Best Bundle.

You might have better luck using the certificate for a cruise in the winter of 2021 when they are released soon. (Perhaps one of the 12 day cruises unless Celebrity reintroduces the 14 day itinerary)

For instance we have the January 20, 2018 Silhouette 12 day cruised booked in an S1 corner suite. The total cost is $7051 for two people with the four Best Perks. We have an additional $700 OBC from our TA. This was booked when it was first released. The cost of any suites on this cruised went up almost immediately and they have been sold out for a long time. We will see what happens after the final payment is due.

I am not cruising on the Edge until they introduce the second ship with a longer itinerary and more competing pricing.

Good luck

Edited by jagoffee