"New Casual Dining Experience"

Portolan

Wish that all of Regent's passengers were mature adults - think that you are giving them too much credit. With some of the things that I've seen passengers do on Regent, I would not generalize that they are all mature.

Some examples:

1. Guests in the $5,000+/night Regent suite on Explorer going into the lounge every evening in a bathrobe to get drinks (they have a dedicated butler).

2. Guests screaming at the top of their lungs at crew members (In my opinion, not acceptable at any time).

3. A passenger losing their camera on a bus and then demanding that Regent reimburse them (sense of entitlement?)

Then there are the passengers that cut in line like children - take the front seats in the bus (after removing the handicapped sign) and refusing to move when people that are disabled enter the bus.

So, if anyone thinks that there will not be people walking into the Observation Lounge in shorts/bathing suits with cover-ups/jeans, you may be in for a surprize.

TC,

My "favorite attire" was the bright red high top tennis shoes with baggy/washed out lounge pants in the CP!

However, I am glad that the pool deck is now open for dinner.....that was something we wished for many times on the WC.

The pool grill was open most night on our Seabourn cruise last Sept and we really enjoyed eating there. However the pool was not open so the dress was more in keeping with the dress code in the rest of the ship.

We were on the Voyager this summer. The pool grill was open. If you wanted to eat in CR you dressed accordingly. If you didn’t feel like it especially since you just returned to the ship at 7:00 pm you ate at the pool grill. Everyone was happy. Nobody showed up in a bathrobe anywhere on the ship. Other Voyager cruisers probably concur.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To FlyerTalker, are you totally not understanding what I am saying? Or am I not being clear?

This thread is about a new casual dining policy. We just read about it in the whatchamacallit Regent newsletter and as we will be cruising to So America in two months, the timing is wonderful.

On hot shore excursion days, and I find myself returning to the ship not looking forward to the rituals of cleansing and primping - only to head out to dine, the offer of a quick meal on pool deck before retiring has appeal.

Are you suggesting I return to the ship and bathe and then emerge to have a casual meal? What makes you think I’d stink otherwise? If you found yourself on the same ship as me, I’m sure we wouldn’t need to cross paths nor share a meal.

On another thought, this thread reminds me of the days when there were still formal nights. To get out of packing the extra clothes, one knew to make reservations at the Italian venue where dinner napkins where waved to the tune of singing staff and we could skip Compass Rose. I wonder. We used to put up with formal wear on cruises and that’s now gone and few miss it. I can remember women in evening GOWNS on board!

I don’t believe clothes need make a person. How a t-shirt and jeans looks is largely determined by the body in the clothes. Personally, I think a button down shirt that is short-sleeved is an curious look, but it is approved evening apparel and I understand that. I have seen it, so I’m guessing it’s approved.

We presumably all spend a bit of time contemplating what clothes to pack that meet a host of criteria. On cruises especially, whether it be an at-sea day or excursion day, “changing for dinner” is stil the norm. On a land trip, one can usually find a welcoming dining venue regardless of attire.

Don’t get me wrong! A well-dressed man is always a treat to behold!! I simply would like to not think too much about packing!!! I wear flip flops at home for most of the year. My feet are groomed. Slipping into heels at the end of the day whilst on holiday is sometimes just a PITA.

TC,

My "favorite attire" was the bright red high top tennis shoes with baggy/washed out lounge pants in the CP!

However, I am glad that the pool deck is now open for dinner.....that was something we wished for many times on the WC.

The pool grill was open most night on our Seabourn cruise last Sept and we really enjoyed eating there. However the pool was not open so the dress was more in keeping with the dress code in the rest of the ship.

Would have loved to see that outfit:D.

I think that having a casual venue on the pool deck is fine even though we would not utilize it (we are not outside dining people unless the temperature is a mild 68 degrees with no sun shinning on me).

FlyerTalker - agree with your posts. I suppose that we have to assume that Regent crew members will ask passengers that are not dressed appropriately (that visit the lounges) to go to the pool bar. The Observation Lounge is the most susceptible since it is so close to the pool area. Having just returned from a Celebrity cruise (and an NCL cruise before that), I feel even stronger about respecting Regent's dress code. I saw enough torn jeans, shorts and t-shirts at dinner in fine dining restaurants to last a lifetime.

I enjoy dressing up for dinner so the pool grill is not for me. There have been times when we have returned from excursions after 7pm or 8 and on those days, there has been a barbecue on the pool deck for those who were on tours. Even if we were to return at 6pm I see no issue showering and dressing up for dinner. I only hope that crew members in the lounges and theater emphasize the dress code for anyone who's been dining at the pool grill. I hope that all of the sudden people don't wander downstairs in their casual attire and expect to stay. For those who prefer the casual atmosphere, please enjoy. I expect a nice dinner with good wine in an elegant venue such as CS or any of the specialty restaurants including Sete Mare every day. Whenever there has been cook out I have not seen anyone wearing shorts or jeans.

I think this is a fabulous idea! I can completely understand that sometimes, especially on a long cruise with lots of excursions that you just want to eat in a casual setting without all the fru fru . In fact i think they should also make an indoor bar venue for inclement weather too, that way all will be happy and wheat can be separated from the chaff. :D

Pam.

Maybe someone that is on one of the ships now could take a photo of the pool deck with people having dinner there. It would be interesting to see.

That would be highly inappropriate taking a photograph of guests enjoying an outside dinner, and then posting on a public forum without their consent surely? I somehow don’t think you would wish your photograph taken and posted here while you were eating ? Jean.

That would be highly inappropriate taking a photograph of guests enjoying an outside dinner, and then posting on a public forum without their consent surely? I somehow don’t think you would wish your photograph taken and posted here while you were eating ? Jean.

+1

Pam.

Interesting - other posters take many photos of people without their permission and post it on CC and no one has has said a word. This has happened for years and I have commented on it in the past. I do not believe in doing that but see nothing wrong with taking photos of clothing without faces.:rolleyes:

Interesting - other posters take many photos of people without their permission and post it on CC and no one has has said a word. This has happened for years and I have commented on it in the past. I do not believe in doing that but see nothing wrong with taking photos of clothing without faces.:rolleyes:

Do you not think it would be difficult to take a photo of diners in a large area without showing their faces?

Maybe if you have such concerns then you shouldn't be asking for photos in the first place....just saying!

Pam.

Personally I don’t see the point of that idea. It’s very clear as per Regent that it’s casual dress attire and a few posters who have been onboard more recently have commented as to how enjoyable the new service has been and also that the dress code has been adhered to. Don’t think your photograph idea can bring any more to the subject? Jean.

Personally I don’t see the point of that idea. It’s very clear as per Regent that it’s casual dress attire and a few posters who have been onboard more recently have commented as to how enjoyable the new service has been and also that the dress code has been adhered to. Don’t think your photograph idea can bring any more to the subject? Jean.

I disagree but that is my opinion. If no one else posts a photo, I will from our next cruise. Posters are asking questions and the best way to answer them is to show them (again, this is my opinion).

P.S. Before someone calls me out on it, I have posted photos of the Country Fair (as have others) that showed a lot of Regent passengers. This has been done by others for New Year's Eve, etc. Any individual photos that I have posted of the crew have been with their permission (and they posed for it).

This is hilarious! Where do the people who have not been on late tours or doing any thing specific other than lazing around the pool and hot tubs and enjoying the extended hours fit in? For anyone that is that crazed about this very nice addition to the many Regent dining options....they should probably avoid the whole pool deck area. It sounds like a really good place to have fun. It isn't as though the more dressier attired people are going to be turned away.

I would imagine that if the powers that be at Regent are reading this thread they are feeling that "no good deed goes unpunished". What a wonderful thing that they are doing keeping the pool grill open at night for people looking for a more casual alternative. We saw people eating there on our July Explorer cruise and they looked relaxed and happy. I have no memory of what they were wearing, nor was it a concern of mine. I truly do not understand this obsession with the dress code, or even yet making sure passengers returning from excursions shower before dinner. I don't think I'm alone in saying it is a horrible invasion of privacy to be photographed in secret while eating dinner, and to have those photographs posted online. Just beyond words.....

This is hilarious! Where do the people who have not been on late tours or doing any thing specific other than lazing around the pool and hot tubs and enjoying the extended hours fit in? For anyone that is that crazed about this very nice addition to the many Regent dining options....they should probably avoid the whole pool deck area. It sounds like a really good place to have fun. It isn't as though the more dressier attired people are going to be turned away.

I would imagine that if the powers that be at Regent are reading this thread they are feeling that "no good deed goes unpunished". What a wonderful thing that they are doing keeping the pool grill open at night for people looking for a more casual alternative. We saw people eating there on our July Explorer cruise and they looked relaxed and happy. I have no memory of what they were wearing, nor was it a concern of mine. I truly do not understand this obsession with the dress code, or even yet making sure passengers returning from excursions shower before dinner. I don't think I'm alone in saying it is a horrible invasion of privacy to be photographed in secret while eating dinner, and to have those photographs posted online. Just beyond words.....

Love both thinkings. :D

Pam.

TC,

I remember those high-top red tennis shoes from this year's WC.......

I remember those high-top red tennis shoes from this year's WC.......

Glad to know we were not the only ones to notice....We are not clothes police, just people watchers.

Really glad about the new casual venue at night though!