Change in Traditional Dining Times?

canadarocks

10 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Looks like Princess hasn't rolled out this new policy on all their ships yet. According to Eagle_and_hawk (who are currently on the CB and are posting) fixed dining is at 5:15pm in the Coral dining room, and at 5:30pm & 7:45pm in the Palm. Consistently inconsistent? :classic_huh:

I do not think this has anything to do with policy being rolled out to ships. Previously the dining time options were not the same as actually on the ship. Why should the new times be any better in matching reality.

On 10/19/2018 at 8:20 AM, ksm77 said:

My Sister an her DH were on the Crown in September.  They had requested the 8:15 seating.  When they picked up their cards, on the card was 7:15.  She thought it was a mistake.  She went to customer service and was told, that is the new late seating dinner time.  It seems odd they have changed it this much.  I would be ok with late seating at 7:45 but 7:15 does not give us anytime for Happy Hour.  We don't really sit and drink after dinner.  We usually go to the show then bed.  I guess Princess will loose some $$ from us on before dinner drinks???  What about the elite cocktail hour?  Will it start at 4:00?  People doing early dinner will completely miss it if they keep it the same time.  Maybe they will just do away with it.  Princess is sure making some odd changes. 

That is interesting.  I was on the Crown in September too and we were moved from 6 PM to 5:30. 

I didn't realize that the late dining was moved up to 7:15 but it did seem like they were trying to turn over the tables right behind us.  The 7:15 PM time would be perfect for me so I am confused about whether or not to switch to the late dining and hope it gets moved up.  

We were on the Crown this past February and I heard more complaints from people how they hated not being able to eat till 7:45 at late traditional and missing all the ships activities.  We heard the same complaints when we were on RCL last fall. They were also complaining how dinner service lasted over a hour. The late dining room was no more than 60% full.  Hundreds where lined up for ATD at 4:45 so they could eat early and than enjoy the evening activities.  There was both young and old.  People with families, couples and large groups.  We had CC dining and would eat around 8 and on most nights it was empty by 8:30.  We enjoy having a cocktail or two before dinner and not to be rushed at dinner.

I think Princess is just responding to what they have seen.  Does it work for me. NO.  But if you move late traditional to 7:15 you have to move early seating to 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I am one of the few that are really happy with the change, at least the 7:15 pm TD time.  For years we have used AT dining because 8:15 was too late and earlier was much to early.  We love to eat around 7:30 pm so for us it’s quite perfect.   I agree that the new early times are a bit ridiculous but I’m sure much research and stats must have gone in to these decisions.  Would love to know what the research showed

At home, we eat when we get home from work; ideally it’s around 5:00 but could be as early as 4:30 or as late as 6:00. On the ship, we’d be ok with the early time if we were back onboard and hungry, but those are big ifs. Usually all aboard is around 4:30. Plus, we typically eat bigger lunches onboard so don’t get as hungry for an early dinner. It’ll be interesting to see how this shakes out. 

There is one advantage in an earlier dinner time, at least for me, is not having to rush through dinner to be able to get a seat in the first show. I enjoy seeing the shows so now I don’t have to rush through my dinner so that I can enjoy the meal. 

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, trbarton said:

There is one advantage in an earlier dinner time, at least for me, is not having to rush through dinner to be able to get a seat in the first show. I enjoy seeing the shows so now I don’t have to rush through my dinner so that I can enjoy the meal. 

Tom😎

Word has it that show times have also been moved up.  I hope not but there have been some reports that they are now 6:30 and 8:30

On our Grand Cruise last week dinner time was 5 for early and 7:30 for late.  Show times were 6:30 and 8:15, if you had an early dinner time you would need the late show, as early dinner usually ended a little past 6:30, too late to get a seat for the early show.   If you had late dining you would have to go to the early show, which made you late for the 8:15 dinner time.  Worked out best for early dinner/late show.

6 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

Word has it that show times have also been moved up.  I hope not but there have been some reports that they are now 6:30 and 8:30

If this is the case it looks like those dining at 7:15 will have a hard time making a show.  It may involve going to a 6:30 show and leaving before it is over.

We had late traditional dining on our March Coral Panama cruise and had no problem seeing the shows before dinner.

Just back from a week of camping with no access to anything. Freaking hate the disaster they have made of the CC forums. Just checked our upcoming cruise and it suddenly says "5 PM requested" and "5 PM confirmed". Nope, nope, nope. Changed it to 7:15. If we don't get it I will switch on board to anytime. There is no freaking way we want to have dinner at 5:00 PM.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Just back from a week of camping with no access to anything. Freaking hate the disaster they have made of the CC forums. Just checked our upcoming cruise and it suddenly says "5 PM requested" and "5 PM confirmed". Nope, nope, nope. Changed it to 7:15. If we don't get it I will switch on board to anytime. There is no freaking way we want to have dinner at 5:00 PM.

We feel the same way and are still getting over the shock of this change.  We have a 14-night Circle Caribbean cruise coming up next month and I am not looking forward to dealing with this for 14 nights.  I agree 5:00 is way too early.  I do not want to miss every sailaway!  For us, that is a special part of cruising, relaxing watching the sailaways.  And, I don't want to start getting dressed for formal nights at 4:00 - that is cutting into my day! 

Since they now have us at 5:00 I think we are going to switch to Anytime,  And, probably will have to deal with a line at dinner with everyone else who switched from early to Anytime.  We usually go early which is 5:45 or 6:00, so we will try going Anytime at 6:00. 

• Like 1

These new dining times are insanity.  As far as I'm concerned, 7.15 is way too early for late dining.  Especially on a beach-oriented or port-intensive cruise.  And early diners might as well not get off the ship -- you'd have to be back onboard to clean up for dinner in the middle of the afternoon. 

Sure, I could do Anytime and dine as late as I like, but when you cruise solo -- and especially when you're sailing over the holidays -- it's nicer to have Traditional because then you develop relationships with the same people.  Especially on a longer cruise.  So very disappointed with this development.       

I was literally getting ready to make a booking when I saw this news but have now hesitated.  Frankly, my enthusiasm for Princess has considerably diminished.  Just when I finally got to Elite . . .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, metairiegal said:

We feel the same way and are still getting over the shock of this change.  We have a 14-night Circle Caribbean cruise coming up next month and I am not looking forward to dealing with this for 14 nights.  I agree 5:00 is way too early.  I do not want to miss every sailaway!  For us, that is a special part of cruising, relaxing watching the sailaways.  And, I don't want to start getting dressed for formal nights at 4:00 - that is cutting into my day! 

Since they now have us at 5:00 I think we are going to switch to Anytime,  And, probably will have to deal with a line at dinner with everyone else who switched from early to Anytime.  We usually go early which is 5:45 or 6:00, so we will try going Anytime at 6:00. 

I just saw the dining schedule for Oct 20 on the CB & it appears that early traditional is 5:30 PM & late is 7:45 PM. I don't believe they've changed a thing on the CB.

You're still better off with AT dining anyway since you're not held to any fixed schedule.

7FAA0D41-14BD-4FF0-AE04-C0D469EEC9BE.jpe

As so many cruisers have replied to their dissatisfaction regarding Princess's change of dining venues, it would be wise to complain by phone to Princess directly before your cruise & on board when the maitre' d has his first meeting with cruisers who want to change dining when we board first day.   Show times have been changed too & according to another post, it will be impossible to make the early show (for early diners & trying to see show before late traditional seating) without rushing through what should be a relaxing dining experience or enjoyable showtime.  Those who have switched to anytime dining, be prepared to stand on line as this is a holiday cruise & will have large amounts of diners with children & family members who want to have a long & enjoyable dinner together.  PE.

14 hours ago, Cindy said:

I just changed to late traditional from anytime on the Ruby next summer. I strongly prefer traditional, but the previous times didn’t work for me. We’ll see what the actual times are on board!🤔 

Just made the exact same change for the exact same reason. We usually do anytime since traditional is either too early or too late, given port times and excursions. TD was not waitlisted but both early seatings were for Sky's TA next fall.