Buffet etiquette

ladydonna85

2 hours ago, julie3fan said:

This was on the tables in both the International Cafe and buffet last May on the Emerald Princess.  First time I'd seen that, and I haven't cruised since.

20180501_094832.jpg

I'm assuming you didn't mean that you haven't cruised Princess because of the request.

Burt

1 minute ago, Beachdude said:

I'm assuming you didn't mean that you haven't cruised Princess because of the request.

Burt

No, I haven't had a cruise booked since then, unfortunately.  I meant I hadn't cruised since then in order to see if the signs were still on the tables.  

My next Princess cruise is in about 3 weeks, and I have 2 booked for 2019.  I'd hate to meet the person that would refuse to cruise Princess based on that simple little request!

15 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed, the lines are warning people not to take food ashore as there can be huge fines for risking the Bio security of a place, that said, very few places have bag searches or scanning when entering the port.

Also true, the lines are doing the bidding of the respective country /port.

Yet, many folks continue to do it for some reason... and I don't understand why. :classic_unsure:

6 hours ago, K32682 said:

Yes, there is nothing that makes a shore excursion perfect like having a day-old piece of cold chicken that was smuggled off the boat for lunch. :classic_rolleyes:

Yeah, especially when you think that most cabins do not have fridges but only coolers. (7 degrees Celsius)

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Yet, many folks continue to do it for some reason... and I don't understand why. :classic_unsure:

They do it for the same reasons I've seen people scurry back to the ship at lunch time. 

1) Because they paid for the food and don't want to spend more eating onshore.

2) They are afraid of eating anything in a foreign land and would rather gorge down the typical slop on a cruise ship buffet than sample local cuisine.

In other words cheapskates and dullards.  

Edited by K32682
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cruising cockroach said:

Could add another reason: the locals - shockingly - don't accept their currency (or credit cards, debit cards, elecronic payment)) and they'd have to get local currency.

I have never visited a tourist type place that wouldn't take US dollars, just don't expect them to take it with the current conversion rate or in some cases anything near the current conversion rate.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:19 AM, NLH Arizona said:

To me there is a big difference in sticking one's hand between two people and getting something and going around a person who is holding up the line, because you want something further down the line.

Absulutely - if you can move ahead of someone who is just standing there, you are not cutting in.  If anything, you are filling a vacuum.   You are also doing a favor to those behind  you.

Edited by navybankerteacher

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Absulutely - if you can move ahead of someone who is just standing there, you are not cutting in.  If anything, you are filling a vacuum.   You are also doing a favor to those behind  you.

And we all know that nature abhors a vacuum.

DON

7 hours ago, donaldsc said:

And we all know that nature abhors a vacuum.

DON

Which confirms the fact that it is only natural to step around someone who is unable to decide which rasher of bacon would best complement his egg;  and, by logical extension, shows that it would be unnatural (perhaps even deviant) to stand mutely behind such a ditherer.

17 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Which confirms the fact that it is only natural to step around someone who is unable to decide which rasher of bacon would best complement his egg;  and, by logical extension, shows that it would be unnatural (perhaps even deviant) to stand mutely behind such a ditherer.

You can spin it any way you want to try and rationalize your position. Bottom line is that cutting the buffet line is just that... cutting the buffet line.

And it's still rude..

7 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

You can spin it any way you want to try and rationalize your position. Bottom line is that cutting the buffet line is just that... cutting the buffet line.

And it's still rude..

It is certainly just as rude for a person to hold up a line while they try to decide what they want. It would be foolish for a person to stand behind such a ditherer for more than a few moments.  How long would you wait behind someone who was just standing there pondering:  15 seconds,30 seconds, one minute, five minutes, half an hour?

How foolish would you want to be to support your contention that “...it is still rude.”?

Surely we all can determine when going around someone or stepping in front of them wouldn't actually be considered "cutting the line".  I'm guessing, just as in all things in life, there's black and white, and then there are all the very many shades of gray, which colors most of our daily activities.

Yes, if someone is moving along at a reasonable pace and someone steps in front of them and slows them down, that's line cutting.  If that same person was taking a little extra time and someone stepped in front of them and didn't slow them down or otherwise change their momentum, where's the harm?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, julie3fan said:

Yes, if someone is moving along at a reasonable pace and someone steps in front of them and slows them down, that's line cutting.  If that same person was taking a little extra time and someone stepped in front of them and didn't slow them down or otherwise change their momentum, where's the harm?

Exactly, I would never go around someone and then slow them up, but I will go around the person who is taking one olive at a time until they reach the 15 they want on their salad or someone who can't determine what they want on their salad and takes 3 or 4 minutes to decide.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Beachdude said:

You haven't had food poisoning on shore yet. The experience makes a person less self-righteous.

So instead you'd rather have a congealed, day-old piece of chicken snuck from the buffet that was kept in an unrefrigerated cabin and smuggled out in a handbag potentially running afoul of a country's food import restrictions.  I'll take my chances on shore. 

• Like 1