Buffet etiquette

ladydonna85

10 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

I don't have to put saucers in my lips to appreciate that culture though I did have monkey brain in China and a very small piece of camel lip in Libya.

My mind is boggling as to what that was like, is monkey brain a little like jet lag? :classic_biggrin:

On 10/26/2018 at 12:15 PM, pacruise804 said:

I don't think you'll convince our youth pastor who never had issues until the time he skipped taking the probiotics - he never forgets anymore 😉 

This is pretty smart! When on mission trips or cruises I will bring oregano oil and that helps so much too!

On 10/26/2018 at 8:53 PM, cruising cockroach said:

All marketing BS apparently.  The bacteria is actually quite fragile and usually doesn't make it past the stomach alive.

How about viruses?  And parasites?  And there are other bacteria that do inject the stomach or intestines.

If you want to drink tap water in most countries, you WILL get sick.

I do not feel that probiotics will help prevent this.  But may be helpful AFTER you get over an intestinal issue.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Not in every case.  Many yes.

i lived in France 4 yrs in the early 50's.  The standard for Americans at least was to either boil or add Chlorine tablets to tap which for some reason,I chose not to do. Maybe it was the taste. I never had an issue though many others did. and had bad reactions.

Now, I believe all European countries are safe.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

How about viruses?  And parasites?  And there are other bacteria that do inject the stomach or intestines.

I do not feel that probiotics will help prevent this.  But may be helpful AFTER you get over an intestinal issue.

Viruses and parasites (notably tape work eggs - faddish weight loss self-cure over the years which revived once more not too long ago), most definitely.  They've evolved to survive very strong acids in animal digestive tracts (including ours).

It's the "good" bacteria that's rather fragile hence why ingesting probiotic supplements are apparently a pile of crock.  Faecal transplants are the best way to repopulate one' intestines with flora.

23 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

Not in every case.  Many yes.

i lived in France 4 yrs in the early 50's.  The standard for Americans at least was to either boil or add Chlorine tablets to tap which for some reason,I chose not to do. Maybe it was the taste. I never had an issue though many others did. and had bad reactions.

Now, I believe all European countries are safe.

I did say most. 🙂

I will drink the tap water in most of Europe, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand.  Most of the rest of the world, NO.

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

When travelling overseas and especially when in developing countries, I drink my water diluted into wine, beer or other alcoholic substances.

That will not protect you.  Even ice with spirits will not suffice to kill everything in the water.

Beer is always safe to drink (it is boiled during the process of making it).  And straight spirits are OK.  Sodas are typically safe, as they are fairly acidic, but I only will drink colas (they contain phosphoric acid).  

ANY water added to spirits or anything else, has the potential to expose you to serious intestinal issues.

Even bottled water is not totally safe in all areas, but typically it is fine.

23 minutes ago, SRF said:

That will not protect you.  Even ice with spirits will not suffice to kill everything in the water.

Beer is always safe to drink (it is boiled during the process of making it).  And straight spirits are OK.  Sodas are typically safe, as they are fairly acidic, but I only will drink colas (they contain phosphoric acid).  

ANY water added to spirits or anything else, has the potential to expose you to serious intestinal issues.

Even bottled water is not totally safe in all areas, but typically it is fine.

I meant water that was used in the process of making the alcohol.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, KroozNut said:

You can spin it any way you want to try and rationalize your position. Bottom line is that cutting the buffet line is just that... cutting the buffet line.

And it's still rude..

It depends on how the buffet is set up, I think.

A small simple example:

They have boiled, fried and scrambled eggs. Twelve people get in the line to get eggs. If four wants boiled eggs, four wants fried eggs and four wants scrambled eggs I don't think that it's rude to pass people reaching for boiled eggs to get to the scrambled eggs. Even if I don't know if the people waiting for boiled eggs wants scrambled eggs too it's not rude to pass them while they are taking their boiled eggs, I think.

For me that's not cutting the line and it's not rude. It should be stupid to wait in the line, I think.

Of course it is rude to cut in front of someone - in any line.  It is also rude to stand still thoughtlessly and make other people needlessly wait for you to leisurely decide whether you want your eggs over easy or sunny side up — while all they want to do is get past the egg station to get a couple of strips of bacon.

Cutting in front of someone in line presumes that the line is moving.  If the line is not moving because someone is blocking it - and your moving around him does not slow him at all, you have not cut in front of him.

• Like 1