Buffet etiquette

ladydonna85

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

How long would you wait behind someone who was just standing there pondering:  15 seconds,30 seconds, one minute, five minutes, half an hour?

When in the buffet line, and it comes my turn to select or order, I will take as much time as I need to decide what I want. And if anyone tries to cut in front of me while I'm deciding, I will politely (but firmly) invite them to take their place at the end of the line, just like I and everyone behind me has done. :classic_dry:

My main buffet bug bear is when people are rude the staff especially not minding their manners it is so rude when people just go 'Ham omelette' with no please then the polite member staff says 'Would you like anything else' and the cruiser goes 'no' with no thanks.

It's not a lot of effort really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beachdude said:

You haven't had food poisoning on shore yet. The experience makes a person less self-righteous.

Nope, and I haven't personally; but I do know several folks who have had food poisoning onboard a ship.

Not self righteous at all.. :classic_huh:

Edited by KroozNut
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

When in the buffet line, and it comes my turn to select or order, I will take as much time as I need to decide what I want. And if anyone tries to cut in front of me while I'm deciding, I will politely (but firmly) invite them to take their place at the end of the line, just like I and everyone behind me has done. :classic_dry:

Let's dine sometime, I agree. My thoughts are "People first, things (food) second". I'd like to hear from our friends from Great Britain who have this whole manners thing down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

So you REALLY believe you have the right to stand still in a buffet line for

”...AS MUCH TIME AS YOU NEED...”

and to tell anyone who wants to not humor your pathetic indecision to just go and wait???

It is precisely that sort of “me first and to hell with you” attitude that diminishes everyone’s experience.

P.S.  If someone is simply standing still, moving around him is NOT “cutting in” in front of him - it is merely letting him stand still.

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is precisely that sort of “me first and to hell with you” attitude that diminishes everyone’s experience.

It's like people who drive way below the speed limit on a road with no passing.  Clowns wanting to lead the parade...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, K32682 said:

So instead you'd rather have a congealed, day-old piece of chicken snuck from the buffet that was kept in an unrefrigerated cabin and smuggled out in a handbag potentially running afoul of a country's food import restrictions.  I'll take my chances on shore. 

Hmm, cold chicken or becoming best buds with the toilet for two days. 

Thinking thinking.....🤔

Burt

1 hour ago, Beachdude said:

Thinking thinking.....🤔

Burt

Or facing some tough questions when you are caught smuggling food into a country that prohibits certain food imports (e.g. U.S.A.)

48 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Or facing some tough questions when you are caught smuggling food into a country that prohibits certain food imports (e.g. U.S.A.)

Of course such questions must be faced when entering Canada as well: particularly involving fresh fruits and vegetables, milk and milk products, most fresh meats, etc.

Virtually all countries take precautions which they see as in their interests.

2 hours ago, Beachdude said:

Thinking thinking.....🤔

Burt

This has gotten off topic. but eating off the ship is a great topic all by itself.  We have cruised to over 100 countries and eaten off the ship in a majority of those places.   And somehow we have survived :).  We live in Puerto Vallarta during the winter (for the past 12 years) and eat out at over 50 restaurants and eating venues every season.  And in 12 years we have never had a major GI problem.  But while we are eating in Mexico we sure see plenty of news about Norovirus and other bugs (such as e-coli) on cruise ships.  

DW and I have been very active independent travelers for decades.  One of the really fun and interesting parts of travel is the ability to sample cuisine all over the world.  In many places, the cuisine helps define the culture!  In fact, for those that insist on doing all their travel on tours or excursions, nearly every cruise ship port will have some kind of food tour!  

While living in Mexico we can look down from our Condo balcony and often pick out cruisers from the hoards of others that live in our part of Mexico (over 50,000 Americans and Canadians).  The cruisers are the suckers who pay $3 for a bottle of water on the ship, which they carry around all day as it warms and grows bacteria, while every little store and bar in Puerto Vallarta sells chilled bottled water for about $1 (sometimes 2 for a dollar).  On a ship you get farmed fish with very little taste.  In Puerto Vallarta you can have some of the best fresh Red Snapper or Mahi Mahi in the world...not to mention excellent shrimp.  If we are in St Maarten you can be sure we will eat ashore.  Before last years horrid storm, the town of Grand Case (St Maarten) had many fabulous world class restaurants owned and operated by French Chefs who fled the high taxes of France for the island.  In that same town there was an area of "LoLo's" (Locally Owned - Locally Operated) stands with amazing food.  On the island of Jamaica I cannot imagine spending any time without having some jerked chicken!  

We have met folks on cruises who are truly afraid to eat off the ship, even when they are in places like France or Italy!  How sad.   Sure, you should do your homework about the places to eat or not eat...just like folks do in their own home towns.  But cuisine is truly a great part of travel.  In fact, if you want to have a fun conversation with locals (we do know that many cruisers have nothing to do with locals) just ask them about the best local restaurants or what is good to eat.  Most folks are proud of their local/regional cuisine and you can make some good friends just talking about food and drink.  And by the way, get friendly with the crew on ships and ask them what they do when they go ashore.  In many cases they eat :).

Hank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have met folks on cruises who are truly afraid to eat off the ship, even when they are in places like France or Italy!  How sad.   Sure, you should do your homework about the places to eat or not eat...just like folks do in their own home towns.  But cuisine is truly a great part of travel. 

We met a couple with that attitude on a Tahitian cruise.  We were in the Marquesas and found a lovely little restaurant but when I suggested we have lunch they recoiled in horror declaring they NEVER ate food on shore and went back to the boat for lunch.  Meanwhile my wife and I dined on an amazing poisson cru accompanied by a passable French chablis. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K32682 said:

We met a couple with that attitude on a Tahitian cruise.  We were in the Marquesas and found a lovely little restaurant but when I suggested we have lunch they recoiled in horror declaring they NEVER ate food on shore and went back to the boat for lunch.  Meanwhile my wife and I dined on an amazing poisson cru accompanied by a passable French chablis. 

Funny you mention those islands.  A few years ago, while DW and I were driving our rental car around Moorea we spotted an interesting looking food/trailer/truck.  We decided to buy a bottle of water when a local told us that the food trailer had amazing Tuna sandwiches.  So we decided to order a tuna sandwich with our water....and expected what we know as tuna salad.  What we got was half of a freshly baked baquette with a big piece of whole tuna and some kind of wonderful secret sauce.  That night at dinner we told the story of the tuna to our tablemates who were shocked that we would eat anything on the island.  That tuna was the best food we had on the entire 2 month trip!

Hank

• Like 1

12 hours ago, K32682 said:

Yes, that would be a refreshing rational consideration instead of being labeled lame for having a different opinion.

Too many folks sit in front of their computer all day searching for opportunities to feel good about themselves by disparaging other people for having a different opinion. What's the point of calling a certain behavior in the buffet rude if you have to be rude to make the point.  

Having a post count over 5000 doesn't make members holier than thou, they are still just someone who likes cruising like the member with a post count of 10. There is no integrity in being a jerk. Posters who have a post count over 5000 should only be allowed two hours a day on the forum so they can practice the personal skills they preach at everyone on the forum every minute of every day. Shesh!

Burt

17 hours ago, KroozNut said:

What difference does it make if there is a gap in the line and someone wanting a couple of pieces of bacon or one biscuit gets that off the line without hindering your ordering/selecting?  Why should they go to the end of the line, thirty people back?

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

What difference does it make if there is a gap in the line and someone wanting a couple of pieces of bacon or one biscuit gets that off the line without hindering your ordering/selecting?  Why should they go to the end of the line, thirty people back?

Exactly!  I think the key here is not hindering the person you're stepping in front of.  

21 hours ago, KroozNut said:

If someone is at the carving station and doesn't want meat, but does want the potato/roll/whatever dish just past it - should that person wait 2-3 minutes for the person in front of them to decide which meats they want and for it to be carved and plated, or can they walk around and keep the line moving?

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

This has gotten off topic. but eating off the ship is a great topic all by itself.  We have cruised to over 100 countries and eaten off the ship in a majority of those places.   And somehow we have survived :).  We live in Puerto Vallarta during the winter (for the past 12 years) and eat out at over 50 restaurants and eating venues every season.  And in 12 years we have never had a major GI problem.  But while we are eating in Mexico we sure see plenty of news about Norovirus and other bugs (such as e-coli) on cruise ships.  

DW and I have been very active independent travelers for decades.  One of the really fun and interesting parts of travel is the ability to sample cuisine all over the world.  In many places, the cuisine helps define the culture!  In fact, for those that insist on doing all their travel on tours or excursions, nearly every cruise ship port will have some kind of food tour!  

Hank

Thanks for your insights, Hank.  We love food tours on land vacations and finding local cuisine too, but have only ventured out in Halifax (not exactly exotic 😉 ) since other port stops weren't that long to need a meal.

Our son went on a mission trip to Guatemala this summer and was encouraged to take probiotics before and during the trip (along with only drinking bottled water).  Do you take any precautions like this in perceived "risky" areas or just naturally immune?

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I spent a year in Korea in the early 70's when eating off post was a real gambler's bet.  I was back again about 10 years  later.  I turned the corner and came face-to-face with a 10 foot plastic Colonel Sanders.   They had it all, Burger King, Micky D's, etc.

51 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Our son went on a mission trip to Guatemala this summer and was encouraged to take probiotics before and during the trip (along with only drinking bottled water).  Do you take any precautions like this in perceived "risky" areas or just naturally immune?

All marketing BS apparently.  The bacteria is actually quite fragile and usually doesn't make it past the stomach alive.

Edited by cruising cockroach

On 10/21/2018 at 3:45 PM, KroozNut said:

Just because you happen to say 'excuse me' prior to cutting in line doesn't 'excuse' the behavior, it is still rude IMO.

If it were me that you cut in front of, I would 'politely' ask you to get in line like everyone else. Doesn't matter that you 'know exactly what you want'. So do many of the other folks patiently waiting their turn in line.

And it were me you said that to, I would simply ignore you.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

All marketing BS apparently.  The bacteria is actually quite fragile and usually doesn't make it past the stomach alive.

I don't think you'll convince our youth pastor who never had issues until the time he skipped taking the probiotics - he never forgets anymore 😉 

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

In Puerto Vallarta you can have some of the best fresh Red Snapper or Mahi Mahi 

I got 2 shrimp tacos at a food truck in Ensenada, Mexico and hoped I wouldn't get sick. They were DELICIOUS.....and I felt fine.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

They had it all, Burger King, Micky D's, etc.

You'll find this all over Asia (and the world for that matter) these days. I'm always amused by the folks that immediately begin looking for the nearest Mickey D's, KFC, Domino's Pizza, you name it, as soon as we get off the ship in a foreign port. :classic_unsure:

Me, I'm talking to the locals trying to find out their favorite places to eat, cuz that's where I'm going for lunch! :classic_smile: