Recent "incident" on Navigator

BillOh

58 minutes ago, paul_uk said:

I'm on this cruise currently but didn't notice anything outside of the ordinary that night except a significant increase in the ship rolling during the early hours that morning (seas were 4-5m the previous day, and forecast to increase to 6m the day that we arrived in vigo).

We were talking to someone from deck 2 who said that they were told not to return to their cabin for several hours, who also described water being pumped out via deck 4(the embarkation deck), but they weren't sure where it was bung pumped from. 

Yeah, if they were "dewatering" directly over the side, that water had never been anywhere near the engine room, so my guess is that they had a water main break somewhere due to the rolling/pitching/bending of the ship.

4 hours ago, BillOh said:

Well, that article seemed a little more comprehensive (at the time) than some I saw, they at least did some research of their own rather than regurgitating some internet report which seems to be the norm for today. Thanks for posting that one. I use to really like Newsweek back in the day when I bought Magazines. 

Read the Newsweek article, it still seemed a bit " hearsay" especially the quote from a passenger about staying in flooded rooms....just as if! Article not given more credibilty by Newsweek adding a pic of Navigator taken in Majorca in 2009! 

Really hoping all is fixed to 110% safety as we are going on her 5th Nov from Southampton on the transatlantic to Boston etc & it may be a tad lumpy! Or even worse...bumpy, so we are gonna need those stabilisers in full working order.

Plus we really do need a totally waterproof hull😱

33 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Impossible unless you read somewhere that there was a problem. The op should be on that cruises roll call if he really wants first hand info

There is nothing on our CC roll call 

however the roll call on a site that can not be named is full of hysteria and hysterics, based on nothing but escalating Chinese whispers. 

The behavoir and attitude of some of my fellow passengers has disgusted me... someone was removed from

the ship today in Las Palmas... I have overheard numerous conversations where people are telling their families back home that there is a “huge hole” in the side of the ship... a) define huge and b) how do they know....

My only comment/complaint is that the Captain has been invisible. Didn’t even turn up for Formal night.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, little britain said:

My only comment/complaint is that the Captain has been invisible. Didn’t even turn up for Formal night.

One of the first rules of leadership in a crisis...be visible (no matter how busy you are). If people don't get answers from someone with authority, they make them up themselves (HUGE hole in the side of the ship!).  Lawyers however, may think otherwise.

I personally saw  2 family groups disembark today in Tenerife. I assume there may have been others ( but don’t want to spread #fakenews lol). 

More sun loungers for the rest of us.  

It is 11/1 and most shops are closed here due to the holiday. The beer 🍻 is cold though ! The whiners are saying we should have gone somewhere else... as if RCI can magic up a non Catholic country around here to visit ....

Give me strength! 

Edited by little britain

This is to give you a glimpse of the mindset of some of the people onboard....someone is complaining that the cruise was called a “sunshine to the Canaries “ cruise , and because there hadn’t been much sun, then RCI  shouldn’t have sold this cruise....... You couldn’t make it up!!!!

Edited by little britain

11 minutes ago, little britain said:

This is to give you a glimpse of the mindset of some of the people onboard....someone is complaining that the cruise was called a “sunshine to the Canaries “ cruise , and because there hadn’t been much sun, then RCI  shouldn’t have sold this cruise....... You couldn’t make it up!!!!

Haha, stories like that are rife in tourism. You wonder why these people ever leave home. Many years ago I was a tour rep working at a hotel in Italy that had a high reputation for its food. And then came the guest who complained that "The food was terrible. Not British at all." :classic_wacko: And I promise I'm not making it up either; she actually wrote it on her questionnaire at the end of her stay! 

Good to see you're making the proverbial lemonade with the lemons you've been given on your cruise. Hope you enjoy what's left of it and thanks for keeping us posted. We will be boarding in 3 weeks. :classic_biggrin:

19 hours ago, little britain said:

I personally saw  2 family groups disembark today in Tenerife. I assume there may have been others ( but don’t want to spread #fakenews lol). 

More sun loungers for the rest of us.  

It is 11/1 and most shops are closed here due to the holiday. The beer 🍻 is cold though ! The whiners are saying we should have gone somewhere else... as if RCI can magic up a non Catholic country around here to visit ....

Give me strength! 

Little Britain...love your post! You got us laughing first thing this morning.

Note: Passengers onboard with infants 12 months or less, had to disembark in Tenerife because of a maritime law (previously unknown to us)...that infants cannot sail for 3 consecutive sea days.

Oh, we are currently onboard and enjoying new friends and this wonderful cruise.

23 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Note: Passengers onboard with infants 12 months or less, had to disembark in Tenerife because of a maritime law (previously unknown to us)...that infants cannot sail for 3 consecutive sea days.

Oh, we are currently onboard and enjoying new friends and this wonderful cruise.

That's not a maritime law, its a cruise line policy.

45 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That's not a maritime law, its a cruise line policy.

Are there any laws around sailing and ‘being old enough’? 

I was always led to believe it was maritime law, I’ve worked for NCL (as seasonal), DCL and Royal (and from what remember carnival when I looked into applying there too) and they all said the same, 6 months to sail and 12 months if there’s more than 3 consecutive sea days and they all said it was because of maritime law. 

Is it just one made up the rule and they all followed on? 

14 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

I was always led to believe it was maritime law, I’ve worked for NCL (as seasonal), DCL and Royal (and from what remember carnival when I looked into applying there too) and they all said the same, 6 months to sail and 12 months if there’s more than 3 consecutive sea days and they all said it was because of maritime law. 

Its an insurance thing, and most of the P&I insurance clubs have similar conditions.

18 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Chengkp75 is correct.  This is not maritime law.  It's policy.  It might be something that's agreed upon with CLIA, hence all the lines mirroring the same policy but either way, it still not a law.      

Someone has spotted that our arrival time in Southampton has now been moved to 2300 Sunday night instead of 0500 Monday morning. 

Presumably to allow extra time to check all is ok ahead of the TA. 

Still no announcement or any information from the captain which would squash some of these endless rumours, coffee clutch meetings, scaremongering.....And general moaning that hangs over this ship like a dark cloud. 

14961347-FBF5-4A94-B01D-87A14E03758E.png

Edited by little britain

10 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

Just heard from a friend that on social media there is mention of the TA now being cancelled.

It is not cancelled.... there is a heavily modified itinerary with Boston, NY and PC cancelled.   Looks like she is sticking to European side and then making a far more southerly crossing 

4 minutes ago, honeywell said:

I just saw posts on Facebook that the scheduled Transatlantic crossing has been cancelled (hopefully rescheduled).  Any news on this?  I am on the Dec 2 sailing. 

9 minutes ago, little britain said:

It is not cancelled.... there is a heavily modified itinerary with Boston, NY and PC cancelled.   Looks like she is sticking to European side and then making a far more southerly crossing 

Thanks Lesley. Not the itinerary people booked so in their eyes I suppose  it is cancelled.

What a shame because we did this itinerary last year on Navigator and though it was cold it was a fab visiting Boston and having overnight in New York.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

9 minutes ago, alexkrn46 said:

chengkp75;

in your opinion would you say the stabilizer will not be fixed until the extensive dry dock, cruise next month and will switch if that is the case.

I can't say without seeing the actual failure, but my guess is that it will be fixed without a drydocking, it may have been repaired already given the unscheduled overnight port stay.  Even if the stabilizer is non-usable, the other one is, and that will be used to counteract rolling.  I hesitate to give judgements where folks' money is on the line.

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I can't say without seeing the actual failure, but my guess is that it will be fixed without a drydocking, it may have been repaired already given the unscheduled overnight port stay.  Even if the stabilizer is non-usable, the other one is, and that will be used to counteract rolling.  

Navigator's TA starting this weekend has been re-routed from northerly route (Southampton - Boston, NY, etc), via a southerly route (drop down to med, then cross) - one would have to assume due to the issue.

Has anyone seen anything about which stabilizer it was?  Problems with the aft port stabilizer on the spring 2008 TA resulted in an "ineresting" cruise, with 2 ports canceled and near riots on board as a result.  They ended up cutting off the stabilizer fin; makes me wonder if there could have been a problem with the repair.

1 minute ago, snaebyllej said:

Has anyone seen anything about which stabilizer it was?  Problems with the aft port stabilizer on the spring 2008 TA resulted in an "ineresting" cruise, with 2 ports canceled and near riots on board as a result.  They ended up cutting off the stabilizer fin; makes me wonder if there could have been a problem with the repair.

The Norwegian Sky sailed for 5 years without one of the four stabilizer fins, without any problems.  When was the fin repaired, if it was removed in 2008?  Based on her build date, her last dry dock should have been in 2017 sometime.  Was this when it was put back on?  If so, I would have suspected a "problem with the repair" to have shown up earlier than this.